“Very good if only the sheets, pillows and towels smelled cleaner :(”
Review of Happy Guest House

Happy Guest House
Ranked #18 of 529 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 15, 2013

I stayed in Happy Guesthouse for four nights because of its high ratings on Tripadvisor The room is big and affordable (USD11 per night for a room with air-conditioner, cable TV and hot shower). The bed is comfortable but unfortunately, the sheets and the pillows I got smelled kind of bad (as if they weren't dried or stored properly). They also had a few pale yellow stains on them. I don't know if I'm just unlucky or what because other guests never seemed to have this problem. The towel wasn't fresh-smelling either. Good thing I brought a spare towel with me. Honestly, these kind of turned me off but eventually I kind of got used to it.

However, the staff are very friendly and accommodating. The common area/restaurant is very cozy. The food ss good and very affordable. I really love their cheese omelets and yogurt shakes. I also appreciate the postal services (because I'm a fan of snail mail). The location is good (you can walk to Pub Street if the weather is not too hot) and there's also a mini-grocery nearby.

Tips:
-Bring or buy mosquito repellent. The common area has a lot of them and I didn't notice this during my first night. I got more than 20 mosquito bites during the first night alone.
-They don't have bedroom slippers (I think being barefoot inside the house is the norm in Cambodia?) so if you're not used to walking barefoot on cold tiles, bring bedroom slippers.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We spent 4 nights there and was recommended a great tuk tuk driver named Peron. The staff were friendly, warm and welcoming! The bedroom and bathroom were basics but we were only there to sleep. I would definitely recommend this.

Perth, Australia

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 5, 2013

We've stayed here for 7 days and liked it a lot. It is certainly one of the niciest places in Siem Reap where you can find a regulary cleaned fan room for 6$. Previouse "Advisor Ahgkor Villa" where we stayed 2 days was much worser. It is located on a very quite street not far from Old Market (15-20 minutes walk by the river). Has it's own restaurant with average to this town prices and ok food (economing on meet as everyone here...). I said food is "ok" because nowhere in Cambodia you won't find so tasty Fried Rice or Pad Thai as in any dirtiest family kitchen restaurant in Thailand. I really can't understan how it can be but we've visited so many cities and never found anything that can be compared. "Chill out zone" isn't that chill as there are a lot of maskitos so you eat and run away =) But as I said this place is still the best. And it's owners are making their best to shine with happiness and make you feel like home. If I ever visit Siem Reap for the third time I'll certainly stay here.

Phil&Irishka =)

Room Tip: Room # 6 had a window with people going beside it all the time. So you never actually can leave curt...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 5, 2013

After a particularly bad day (our little group who were crossing poipet border together got scammed and intimidated) I arrived to heaven! Warmest welcome, smiles, friendly conversations, promptly organised tickets, good price for the room, attention to details, central location. I can not praise them enough! I will be back for sure and can recommend this place to anybody.

Room Tip: ask for the room on the lower floor as there is no lift
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed May 31, 2013

I wish that there was a Happy Guest House in every town and city I have visted, but then maybe that would make my trip too easy.

These guys can arrange pretty much everything. We did our Angkor tuktuk tour and bought our Phnom Penh bus tickets here. Our tuktuk driver was Mr Tea... like the drink, he was such a nice guy, limited on English but really a lot of the temples have English speaking guides hanging about if you need that so not an issue for us. He drives very safely, was punctual and very friendly. He takes pride in his tuktuk too.

The hostel is very reasonable priced for food and drinks, we stayed for a week in the deluxe rooms with AC, cable tv and ensuite with hot water, we ate breakfast daily and during the first half of the week at the hostel we aslo ate lunch and dinner, drank like fish, and the bill on check out.. less than USD$120!!! Including our bus tickets...

The food is good here, we ate mainly the Khmer food. The room was very nice for the price, good firm matress on the bed, AC worked great, infact got a bit chilly! If you need hot water, seemed to work ok, 40 degrees we had no use for it! They can service the rooms daily if you need. I didnt know, I left all my money and laptop out and had my room made up, nothing missing, all good. The staff are extremely friendly and accomdating. Cannot fault them really except they forgot to pick us up from the airport! The only strike against them!!

The hostel is about a good 15 minute walk from Bar Street, tuktuks are only a couple of bucks to most places in town. The area seems safe and quiet, we had no issues wandering about. The internets works pretty good, no coverage in our rooms though, we were in the second building at the back of the property.

All in all, we had a wonderful time staying here, would totally recomended it to any one, you wont be disapointed!! And if you ride with Mr Tea, like the drink, give him a nice tip, he works 2 jobs to support his family!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I am amazed at the enterprising nature of Chappon and her family who run this guesthouse. They book everything for you including flight tickets, Angkor tours, boats etc. The guesthouse itself is a 15 minute walk to Pub Street.

Upon arrival, we were told that all the rooms were booked and Chappon arranged a room for us in the next door guesthouse. Even though, we didn’t stay here, we ended up paying her in the end. For $11 a night, what can you ask for? The rooms in the next-door guest house were pretty clean. We asked for a bug-spray and sprayed the entire room before we left for dinner. This seemed to help when we returned.

Room Tip: There are no elevators here. Be prepared to climb the stairs.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 26, 2013

The staffs here are very friendly, no wonder it named happy guest house, they seem to be always happy everyday, everytime. The room is nice and clean. We booked for a double room, but we got family room instead (one double bed+one single bed), there's hot shower and aircon, so perfect and good value! The food is very nice too and not too expensive. We wanted to rent a bike, unfortunately all of them are rented or got flat tire, so we had to rent outside the hostel. The location is near old market (15 minutes walk) and there's also free airport transfer. The staff can also help you arrange everything you need, from hiring tuktuk to booking ticket to other city or country. Overall, we had a really nice experience, we difinitely would come back later if we visit siem reap again :)

Room Tip: if you dont like stairs, don't take rooms on third floor, because there's no elevator here...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple