“Pricey and not worth it”
Review of Le Malraux

Le Malraux
Ranked #111 of 969 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Cambodian, French
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic, Large groups
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I had the filet mignon and ask for it med. to med well. (a pink center), It came out mooing, i.e. raw in the middle. It took them about 15min to finishing cooking it which shows just how under cooked the meat was, the rest of my meal was finished before they brought the steak back, no apology for the screw up. I had the goat cheese salad and ravioli which were both good. The sides (veggies and Au gratin potatoes) were pretty good. They could have used a few more servers.

Reviewed August 2, 2012 via mobile

We has a mango salad, which was terribly spicy, and a steak tartar. The steak was very nice. The atmosphere is beautiful. The only problem is that is a litle bit expensive if you compare with the other restaurants in the vecinity.

Reviewed July 31, 2012

It has a nice terrace for dinner, located out of pub street, close but far enough to avoid the noise an enjoy a good dinner.

Meat it´s quite good compared to the average restaurant, atmosphere is nice, staff is friendly. Relatively expensive compared to others but worthy

Reviewed July 20, 2012

We went to Le Malraux for lunch after a very tiring morning, we had four kids with us and were looking forward to relaxing over some food while we waited for our hotel room to be prepared. Instead, we were witness to a display of abuse and intimidation by the owner, directed at a customer of the restaurant whose bike parked outside had been reversed into by what appeared to be, a friend of the owner of Le Malraux. He was physically and verbally intimidating and threatening the young couple, in the end, we paid for our food (which was overpriced) then we left the restaurant as the kids were getting worried about the behavior of the owner. Bad food, bad service. Simply do not go there.

9  Thank Jeanette S
Reviewed July 14, 2012 via mobile

We came here with an older couple who who were related to an Australian friend who had passed away in Cambodia, and we thought it would be a nice place to take them and celebrate our friend's life.  Unfortunately, what appeared (from my observation) to be an alcohol affected regular customer (all the drinkers at the bar, the chef and the owner knew him), backed his car into my partners expensive 400cc motorbike, cracking a part on the kick start (which subsequently snapped two starts later).  This seemingly drunken man refused to offer any compensation (despite the bike being parked and him clearly reversing into it), so I suggested we call the police to sort it out.  In hindsight, maybe not the best suggestion because this man, and the chef AND the owner became extremely angry and yelled at us in French (I had no idea what they were saying).   We are NGO workers on a minimal salary and the part for the bike is expensive, so we insisted on negotiating.  However the "regular" said he had "called his friends" to come to the restaurant, and the owner then started to become extremely aggressive.  I am a 5"2 woman and he pushed me backwards and made extremely aggressive gestures towards my partner, who refused to respond in an aggressive manner.  We were so afraid we left.  After reading other reviews I see that this man appears to have some problems with anger.   If I been in a country where I felt more confident to report to the police I would have, but I was afraid to wait, because the group were becoming more aggressive, irrational and physical and I didn't want to wait for this driver's "friends" to arrive. I hate writing a review like this, but obviously if you have a complaint, you will suffer the wrath of the owner.  He may respond to this, and I do admit that suggesting to call the police wasn't my greatest idea (despite the fact that the owner's friend was clearly in the wrong and probably should not have been driving due to alcohol intoxication ... at 1:30pm).  But being manhandled by a large man and having him act so aggressively to my husband, in the company of a couple in their 60s, is totally unacceptable.  To sum up the attitude of the owner,  he said we should have just stayed in our seats and eaten our food while a seemingly drunk man drove into our $3,500 motorbike.  If you go to this restaurant, make sure you don't complain (even if you have a right to!!)   In fact, I am holding back on my criticism a bit because I am pretty scared by this whole experience.

9  Thank Blixicat