“Friendly staff, simple and clean accommodation, great lounge area”

European Guesthouse
Ranked #142 of 507 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

Was traveling solo in Cambodia during mid January and decided on European guest house through the high ratings on both lonely planet and TripAdvisor.
Spent three nights in a private with an ensuite bathroom. And three nights in the 6 bed mixed dorm and have no complaints whatsoever about both setups. Clean, 24 hour laundry service, hot water, towels provided in the single private. Hot water in the dorm showers as well and the bathroom kept very clean.
The lounge area is an excellent place to kick your feet up and relax. Good looking bar counter, lounge chairs, tables with ample space between them. Its perfect for a conversation with fellow travelers or even if you just want to kick back with a book.
Didn't eat here all that much but the smoothies are good and so is the Cambodia tap beer. ;)
The real attraction here is the staff. They're extremely helpful, well mannered, good natured people. The owner Murray has a great sense of humor, as does Nicole (the manager). Helped me out with any queries I had and were great to chat with at the bar. I was offered a free Tuk Tuk pick up from the bus station. They helped me arrange for a Tuk Tuk for my temple tours. One can even book their bus tickets through the staff.
All in all, great experience. I know where I'll be staying my next time around in Siem Reap. If there's a negative , its the fact that the kitchen isn't open to the guests. But that doesn't seem to be the norm in SE Asia. So again, no complaints.

Ananth Reddy

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2014

Hi there

This is a great review and we are very grateful that you have taken the time to write it.

Everyone tries hard to keep things simple and to make guests feel relaxed.

I note the comment about the kitchen. We will have a think about this as I don't see a problem if we can get our chef to agree to let people into his kingdom.

Thanks again

Reviewed January 29, 2014

i stayed there with my friend in december to see angkor wat. the staff was very friendly! we stayed in the dorms which were fine. they didnt have individual lockers but i could give my laptop to the reception and they put it in their safe. shower+toilett were downstairs but that was alrigtht.
the guesthouse was not very close to town which was the only downside

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends

Hi there

Thank you for the review. I am glad to see that the standards are staying high through the busy season.

As far as location is concerned it is only a short walk to the pub street side or a couple of dollars at most for a Tuk Tuk. Probably a better option to have a quiet base which you can then use to go to the busier areas when you want.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We stayed here after reading all the excellent reviews online. We checked in and were expecting the twin room we had booked online. However we were shown to a double room. Accidents happen though, and we were given a discount for the room.
The room itself was adequate, but there seems to be lots of mosquito's here for some reason. It's nice that they spray them to death, but perhaps it would be a good idea for the floors to be cleaned after they've all died and fallen on the floor, as it looks a bit dirty when you check in and the tiles are littered with dead bugs. Also, we noticed some stains and hair on the sheets when we checked in and just hoped that they were clean. The downstairs room we were in was loud when ever people upstairs walked around so we were woken at about 4am when they were leaving. We checked out the following day and had booked online for the following night after we had completed an overnight tour.
When we went to check back in there seemed to be some confusion from the desk man, as we were asked to fill in the forms again. After telling him we had already done this, we were asked to sit while he found our luggage for us. (The stored our luggage for free while we were on the trip). We sat and waited and he went to help another couple who were asking about tour information. Then he disappeared somewhere. After about 15 minutes I went and asked another person at the desk if they could check us back in and find out luggage. She said she would try and sort it out. We sat and waited another 15 minutes and watched another two sets of people checked in and assisted by the desk staff. Eventually, I went back to the desk and spoke to the original person who apologized for forgetting and being too busy. We were then given our bags and shown to our twin room, which again was adequate but the sheets also were a stained (I assume clean, but just stained) and the floor had the little dead bugs on it. As this hostel was a bit out of the main town, we decided to check out. To their credit, they let us out of the two night booking and we checked out the next morning. Perhaps having a dedicated reception area for check ins would help, as it seemed that the same people were in charge of organizing food, making cocktails and drinks, and doing the room check ins, and when we were there, this system simple didn't work well for us.
The rooms are large and the area itself is a quiet one so may suit people quite well. We found somewhere more suitable for half the price

Room Tip: Maybe the upstairs rooms are quieter, the downstairs ones are loud
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Brisus2013
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Hi there

I reply to all of the guest reviews mostly excellent and very rarely bad. I also share these with the staff and we try realistically to see where we can improve. I also try and clarify any points made by guests where I think this is necessary.

I apologize that you did not get a twin as you requested. We are at the height of the busy season and sometimes we cannot give each guest what they want. But we did give you a discount to make up for this.

We clean each room and spray for mosquitoes whether we think there are any in the room or not. It is simply not practical to go back to the room after a few hours to see if there are any dead mosquitoes.

We use a professional outside laundry service for all of our sheets and linen. We replace all sheets every six months and if we see any sheets that are torn or stained we replace quicker. The last review we got complemented us on nice crisp clean sheets.

Our cleaners all wear their hair tied back when they are working. I can only guess that the hair you saw was a stray or it may have come from the laundry service. I have asked them to be careful of this.

Your booking was unusual because you wanted to book for one night and then check out for a day and then check back in again. You also didn't want to fill in the guest register when you checked back in but it is in fact the law that you have to. You must complete the register whether you have stayed before or not. Our staff member was correct and there was no confusion. Looking after your luggage was not something we normally do, we did it as a favour, and that is why our staff member was not sure where it was and took time to find it. But I think it is unfortunate that we should be criticized for trying to be helpful.

The combination of the reception with the restaurant and bar works very well and this is the first time I have heard of any problems. Most people like to sit and have a refreshment and fill in the forms in a relaxed manner. It is clear to me that other people were checking in with no problem and you were only delayed because of the unusual circumstances of your booking. We are a small guesthouse and we try to be as flexible as we can. By combining reception with the bar we can man reception 24 hours a day. This allows us to check in guests whenever they want. The idea of having a separate desk with someone sitting all day with nothing to do when no one is checking in wont work.

Anyway I appreciate you taking the time to do the review and it doesn't do us any harm to re-examine our processes from time to time.

Big Chief : )

Reviewed January 16, 2014

stayed there for two days, to see angkor wat.

very friendly staff! i lost my bankcard and one of the local worker borrow me 20 Dollar, until my money arrived with western union.

clean rooms and fresh sheets.

Its also nice and easy to meet people there.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo

Hi there

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

Nice place to stay. Good staff. Airport transfer on time and included in the price. You can book tuk tuk for Angkor Wat for 15 USD thought this hotel. And that is all there is to say because tripadvisor asks me to put 200 characters.

• Stayed: January 2014

Hi there

Thank you for the nice review. Glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I have been travelling in Southeast Asia for 6 weeks now, staying in Guesthouses and resorts around the $20-$35 dollar mark.
Although this place wasn't 'bad' we have had better experiences for the same or cheaper price.

The rooms are fine, fairly clean etc and we didn't book in advance so we can't complain too much. Our main issue was just the amount of Mosquitos in our room, we couldn't work out where they were coming from but the bathroom was full of them, but we are reasonable people and understand that it's not exactly anyone's fault if the building is in a mosquito ridden area and we burnt our own coil overnight which seemed to do the trick.
The guesthouse location was great if you want to walk around.
The service wasn't as great as many places we have stayed, just a bit laid back, but they all seemed very nice, which I guess is the main thing!

The western food in the restaurant was great, pizza was lovely and good value.

Overall the guest house was good, but I guess the standard differs between places at the same price. I would recommend trying for yourself.

• Stayed: January 2014
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Hi

Thank you for your review.

If anyone can solve the problem of mosquitos in SE Asia or anywhere else I would be delighted. We spray the rooms before guests move in but other than that not a lot we can do about it. We cant use the total fumigator service since guests would complain and mostly people just get on with it.

We try our best

Murrray

Reviewed January 12, 2014

European Guesthouse is affordable and you pretty much get what you pay for- reasonably clean, friendly staff, good kitchen to purchase food, and a nice community feel that makes it easy to get to know other travelers.

Downsides: a hefty walk from the main part of town (~15-20 min), for a place with "European" in the title the staff's English is quite limited, and the security is very poor. Regarding security, they'd leave room keys lying around, and when we gave them our laptop and passports to put in the Guesthouse safe, they did, and then they took the items out and left them on the shelf for two days (in plain sight) because they said they didn't have room anymore (but didn't bother to tell us they'd left them on the shelf until we went to get them at checkout).

They were great with arranging a tuk-tuk driver to pick us up from the airport and take us around the Angkor temples all day, but they were very vague about how much it would cost, which led to some awkwardness with our driver at the end of our trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi

Thank you for your review however there are a couple of points I would like to explain.

The closer you get to the town centre the more expensive rents are and accordingly accommodation will be more expensive. So it is a bit of a balance. It costs 50 cents per person to get a Tuk Tuk to Pub Street from the European but if you want to stay in the centre it might cost $10 a night more. Up to you.

Sometimes on trip advisor, although I don't want to, I have to just say when people are wrong.

Your passport and computer were brought out of the safe for your checkout. That is good service not poor security. They were not left out for two days. That would be ridiculous.

We have a locked fireproof cupboard for room keys. Sometimes guests leave keys on the reception counter and we put them away. We have a 24 hour manned reception which is unusual for small guesthouses and we lock down the front gate at night.

You used an outside Tuk Tuk service. We advise guests always not to do this.

I am from Scotland and my English is not as good as it could be but I have no trouble understanding any of my reception staff and I have to ask why the name European means that everyone has to speak good English? Our receptionist speaks very good French. The guest house across the street is called Happy Guest House ......