“decent hostel-type accommodations in Siem Reap”

European Guesthouse
Ranked #151 of 529 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 12, 2014

European Guesthouse is affordable and you pretty much get what you pay for- reasonably clean, friendly staff, good kitchen to purchase food, and a nice community feel that makes it easy to get to know other travelers.

Downsides: a hefty walk from the main part of town (~15-20 min), for a place with "European" in the title the staff's English is quite limited, and the security is very poor. Regarding security, they'd leave room keys lying around, and when we gave them our laptop and passports to put in the Guesthouse safe, they did, and then they took the items out and left them on the shelf for two days (in plain sight) because they said they didn't have room anymore (but didn't bother to tell us they'd left them on the shelf until we went to get them at checkout).

They were great with arranging a tuk-tuk driver to pick us up from the airport and take us around the Angkor temples all day, but they were very vague about how much it would cost, which led to some awkwardness with our driver at the end of our trip.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

Hi

Thank you for your review however there are a couple of points I would like to explain.

The closer you get to the town centre the more expensive rents are and accordingly accommodation will be more expensive. So it is a bit of a balance. It costs 50 cents per person to get a Tuk Tuk to Pub Street from the European but if you want to stay in the centre it might cost $10 a night more. Up to you.

Sometimes on trip advisor, although I don't want to, I have to just say when people are wrong.

Your passport and computer were brought out of the safe for your checkout. That is good service not poor security. They were not left out for two days. That would be ridiculous.

We have a locked fireproof cupboard for room keys. Sometimes guests leave keys on the reception counter and we put them away. We have a 24 hour manned reception which is unusual for small guesthouses and we lock down the front gate at night.

You used an outside Tuk Tuk service. We advise guests always not to do this.

I am from Scotland and my English is not as good as it could be but I have no trouble understanding any of my reception staff and I have to ask why the name European means that everyone has to speak good English? Our receptionist speaks very good French. The guest house across the street is called Happy Guest House ......

Reviewed January 10, 2014

The room I stayed in was very clean, big and had some simple and nice touches to make it more than the average guest house in the region. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom very adequate. The service at European GH is good, as they accomodated us even though there was a mix-up with our arrival dates.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2014

Thank you for your kind review. We are right in the middle of busy season and it is great to see that the standards are staying high.

Hope the rest of your journey / holiday is a good one.

Reviewed January 3, 2014

We stayed for 3 nights in a double room. The rooms are very spacious and clean, the bathroom is simple, but you get hot water. The Guesthouse has a restaurant, which serves all meals and is a great place to chill out. Quality of food is excellent. The staff is very friendly and helpful. You can deposit your valuables in a safe-box at the reception. The Guesthouse is very safe, as they have a strict no-outside-guests-policy. The Guesthouse has Tuk Tuk drivers under contract who pick you up for free at the Airport and take you on day trips to Angkor and Tonle Sap river, prices vary between 15 USD for a half day tour to 25 USD for a full-day tour. Our Tuk Tuk driver Hong was the best driver we ever had. He was taking very good care of us, waiting patiently when we slept too long, organized the tours to our demands, recommended places to eat and was a good friend to us. This all together made Siem Reap for us the most remarkable stay on our travel.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2014

Hi

Thank you for the review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay. I am very proud of our staff who work so hard to make our guests welcome and comfortable.

We look forward to seeing you again sometime.

sichere Reise

European.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

My stay at European Guesthouse was the honestly the start of my vacation. The service here is impeccable. They e-mailed me few days before my trip asking if I require any pick up. I took up the offer, and despite constantly changing the time and bus company, they picked me up on time with no complains.

The location is hidden in a lane along Wat Bo Road, just behind Apsara New Market. Peaceful setting, close to the locals and other guesthouses too. The walk to Pub Street is a distance if you do not know your way around. But this is not really an issue since a tuk-tuk ride is just USD1.

I enjoyed my stay here mainly because of the great staff and location. I don't remember their names but everyone working here (be it the boss or the tuk-tuk driver) helped us alot during our stay. From arranging a private tour to Ang Kor Watt to making sure we weren't getting scammed.

The rooms were decent: Basic, clean and spacious. We only needed a bed and shower, as we mostly spend our days out. I would have liked if they could clean my room but hey, I only paid USD18 so I have no complains.

Stay here when you're in Siem Reap. I've seen/pass by many other guesthouses, hostels and hotels but none could beat the great vibes from here!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 27, 2013

Hi

Thank you for your very nice review. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay.

I have had a chat with housekeeping about the room cleaning schedule . I think the problem is that when it is very busy in high season that they sometimes don't know whether there is a guest in the room or not. Or if there is a guest whether we should disturb them . So we are arranging simple signs for the doors to let guests decide whether they want the room cleaned or not.

Merry Christmas

Reviewed December 17, 2013

Good and cosy guesthouse! The bad thing is that it is a bit off. You'll have to walk mabye 15-20 min to the center. Most of the staff is helpful although some of them speak very bad english. The food in the restaurant isn't great and we always had to wait 20-30 mins for the food. When we used their loundry service I got a pair of underwear back that wern't mine. But I would stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2013
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Hi

Thank you for the review.

We are a little bit out of the way but a lot of our guests like the quiet location and it is only a five minute Tuk Tuk ride to the centre.

I note your your comments about the restaurant. We only opened the food outlet a couple of months ago and we have been much busier than we expected. So we have now hired an extra cook and waiter to try and speed things up a bit. So hopefully that area will improve as the team gain more experience.

We use an outside laundry service for our guests and unfortunately they sometimes get a little mixed up. We have never lost anything however we occasionally have to go and sort things out. I hope you liked the new underwear :)

Thanks again and we hope to see you again sometime.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

Friendly people, cozy garden, rooms are simple, but big and beds are good, location in the middle of an alley full of guesthouses is also very convenient. If you want to have a relaxed stay and meet people, it is perfect!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Hi there

I reply to all of the reviews whether they are good or bad. But it is much more fun saying thank you for the good reviews.

So thank you very much for your kind words and we look forward to seeing you again some time.

Happy Traveling

Murray and the Team.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

My brother and I stayed here during our 3 day trip to Siem Reap. I emailed with the staff before arriving and I was assured that we would have a free pick up from the airport by a staff member. We arrived, there was no one to pick us up. There was no wifi at the airport to contact the hostel, so we had to buy a cab with our own money. When we arrived to European Guesthouse and told them we were stranded, they apologized and said their driver was waiting for us now (2 hours late). The common area is clean and the wifi both in the room and common areas works well. They offer some cheap breakfasts and beer deals- but the rest of the food is a little pricer for the area. When we arrived, we scheduled a tuk-tuk and a tour guide for our next day at Angkor Wat. The next morning, the staff said the guide came an hour early and had already left, and was refusing to return. They also said they could not find us anyone else to take us for the day. This was incredibly frustrating but after about 30 mins of talking to several members of the staff (both in house and on the phone) we were able to get a guide for the day. The next day, we got a tuk-tuk and passed on the guide. The Guesthouse paid half of the price because of the issues we had had thus far. While I do think they tried to right their mistakes, I would have much rather paid full prices and had what I was told from the beginning. This place is clean and friendly, but I don't think it's worth the hassle. The street has several hostels that looked great and also offered similar services.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Murray_Macmillan, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2013

Hi.
Thank you for taking the time to do the review however I want to explain a few points.

We have very strict procedures for arranging free Tuk Tuk pick-ups as we see these as very important in making sure that we do not get guests hijacked by dodgy Tuk Tuk drivers who tout for business for less reputable guesthouses. We therefore write to all of our guests and ask for travel details. On the arrival date we issue a printed document with the guest name and arrival details and we give this to a Tuk Tuk driver for him to use as the pick-up document. All of this happened in your case. The only thing that went wrong was that the Tuk Tuk driver had a flat tyre going to meet you and was 10 minutes late. We followed our procedures and we do not believe there was a lack of organization on our part. This "Act of God" kind of thing is always going to happen anywhere in the world. Thankfully it very rarely happens as the Tuk Tuk drivers are motivated to do the pickups to make sure that they get first chance to sell Temple Tours to new guests where they can make a bit of money.

The tour guides do not work for the guesthouse and we cannot control them if they turn up an hour early. We got the time right. The guy turned up early. Our procedures were followed and therefore I don’t consider that a lack of organization either. The only area that I believe we could have done better is that we should have knocked on your door and told you that the guide was early.

In both cases we made good in situations where we were not really to blame. This is a sign of good management in my opinion.

As far as restaurant prices are concerned I would have liked to clarify this with you directly. We introduced a menu this year and I personally worked out the cost of the dishes and set the prices. We based these prices directly on what everyone else is charging so that we would be competitive on our restaurant opening. We are competitive and I disagree with your comments in this area. For example we sell pizzas. There is only one other place in our area that sells pizzas and we are cheaper than them for every single item on the menu. I would also like to respectfully point out that some people have unrealistic expectations of how cheap they think everything is going to be here in Cambodia. Again using pizza as an example our Margarita pizza cooked fresh is less than 25% of the cost of a pizza in the pizza hut in the UK. This is pretty good value.

Anyway I found your report useful and interesting. I am glad that all of the guesthouse parts were ok.