“Very good but not perfect”

European Guesthouse
Ranked #141 of 495 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
“Very good but not perfect”
Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

The location is good, as well as the rooms, the atmosphere and the staff. A bit expensive I think but it is very relaxing and chilled.

The only "but" is when the staff help you plan your trip to Angkor they promise you some things and then forget, for example they say they will book a tuk tuk and when you're waiting for it and ask where it is they quickly go and find one because they forgot. The same with food, bikes, breakfast is supposed to start at 6:30 and it was ready 6:50 just 10 min away from my bus leaving. They are very nice and helpful but you need to chase them a little

• Stayed July 2013
Siriri86, Owner at European Guesthouse, responded to this review, July 5, 2013

Hi thank you for your review which is very helpful and we will introduce some new measures which I hope will help.

By way of explanation. We have outsourced the Tuk Tuk operation but we will now insist that the bookings are recorded through our own reservation system so that we can make sure that we can control it.

As for bikes we are probably not going to continue with this service since the bikes are owned outside of the guest house and we have a lot of problems with maintenance returns etc. Not the guests problem but I think we will probably make this a service from a proper bike hire business that can be booked properly.

This is the second review we have had about breakfast starting a little late. We have had a few people on holiday as this is our slowish period however that is no excuse. I have spoken to all involved and we will do better.,

Thanks again

Murray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Reviewed June 30, 2013

This place can seem like a home from home. There is the fantastic and ever helpful Chankera who can advise you with both independent and tour guides and the hostess with the mostest, simply known as Jo. Always a smile, makes you feel immediately at home and what the guesthouse is all about. Visit here simply to see and meet her. She is both knowledgable about the local area and passionate about responsible tourism, working closely with the BFT, a school for underprivileged children, also a brilliant institution. She and the other staff made me feel like family.

Room Tip: Get a room on the far left, away from the bar veranda area. Quieter.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Chiang Mai, Thailand
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Our room was really spacious and clean. I thought that for the price it was a really nice value. Breakfast was included (fruit and bread with jam/butter). The staff was really nice and accommodating. We used the hotel to rent bikes, get two tuk tuks, and buy our bus tickets to the border and they were really great about it. They also offer a free pick-up from the bus station or airport if you book in advance- definitely worth it! I'd stay here again without thinking. The location isn't central in town, but it's a pretty quick walk or a cheap tuk tuk ride and is a good spot to launch for Angkor.

My only advice is that I probably wouldn't rent the hotel bikes if you're planning to go out to Angkor. It is for a good cause, but the bikes don't have gears and are pretty tough to ride for a long day of site seeing.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I stayed at the European Guesthouse with 3 of my friends while we visited Angkor Wat. I found the Guesthouse to have a great atmosphere, very friendly people, and a helpful and welcoming staff. This is the kind of place you mean to stay for 2 days and end up staying 2 weeks. While the rooms are fairly basic, the rest of the grounds make up for it with a lovely bar and sitting area. What a great place!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed June 9, 2013

The magic began as we walked out of the airport to find two tuk tuk drivers from the guesthouse waiting to pick up my three friends and me. We knew at that point we were in for a treat. We were thrilled when we arrived at the guesthouse. The front garden is lush, with an extensive partially covered lounge area. Our rooms were basic, but very clean and comfortable. The Guesthouse was helpful in helping us find reputable tuk tuk drivers to take us around the temples. Although it's a bit away from the main "Pub Street" area, it was a doable 15 minute walk.

There was a pig roast the Sunday we were there, which was great for my carnivorous partner. It led to fun conversation with others staying at the Guesthouse. Jo, the woman in charge, was lovely. Cambodia was the highlight of my trip to SE Asia and this place had a lot to do with it.

Room Tip: Room 1 was perfect for my partner and me!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My husband and I stayed here during our recent honeymoon trip. Although it wasn't central, it was a great location, just a 20 minute walk into town or 5 minute tuk tuk ride (always one available just outside guesthouse). The staff were very welcoming and friendly and the place had a lovely relaxing atmosphere. After a full on day of visiting temples, it was the perfect place to come back to and kick back with a beer or two and play pool and there were plenty of interesting people to meet! The room was also very comfortable and clean. The staff will also help you get a good price for a tuk tuk to take you to Angkor Watt. (Make sure you do, as we ended up sorting it our ourselves and got totally ripped off!) Overall, clean, comfortable, relaxing and affordable.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I stayed here for 8 days and found the management and employees very welcoming, friendly and helpful during my stay. The lounge was a great place to meet people, seems to draw a lot of expats volunteering at various NGO's in the area. Management is involved with a local orphanage so there is always volunteer opportunities if anyone is interested. I felt very secure as far as my belongings go. I liked the location because it's situated on a quiet street outside the chaos of Pub Street but still close enough to walk to.

*If you book ahead, they provide free airport pick up but specify if you're arriving in Domestic or International (driver was waiting for me in wrong terminal but I should have specified. They are side by side so I just walked over and found him)

• Stayed April 2013