“I came, I saw, I conquered Ta Keo!”
Review of Ta Keo

Ranked #32 of 180 things to do in Siem Reap
Cagayan de Oro, Philippines
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“I came, I saw, I conquered Ta Keo!”
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Take the ta keo challenge, bring home the memory of a life time

Climb it as the ongoing construction could mean the temple would lose its fear Factor potential. Sharing something a bit life threatening with people you don't really know instantly bonds you like family

So far the greatest experience I had in Cambodia. Try it but be careful

19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“a challenge visit!”
Reviewed April 15, 2013

it was like a challenge visiting this temple , as there are 3 levels and you had to climb up to observe each part with really really steep stairs., now it's being repaired, so there was just only one way to get in and get out. this was the hardest one comparing to any other temples.

Visited April 2013
Budapest, Hungary
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 113 helpful votes
“Do it until the top!”
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Going upwards is ok. Coming back is a different issue…. Just do it slowly and don’t look down if you suffer from vertigo - like me. Always concentrate only one single step and descend backwards. It seems to help even to local guides...
This temple is unfairly less visited comparing to many others so you won’t have to struggle for having a nice shot without tourists everywhere. If you are visiting this site your reward will be a very peaceful and unique experience whether you do it to the very top or only to a lower level. Although I would strongly recommend to do it to the top to make yourself proud of you! :)

Visited February 2013
Siem Reap
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“take the Ta Keo challenge :)”
Reviewed November 18, 2012

According to some local advice I received, *after* climbing (yes climbing :)) Ta Keo, this temple is off-limits to Japanese tour groups because of the steep steps. However, that's a shame because it is spectacular and memorable. If not confident with rock scrambling or the ilk, then maybe just use the wooden steps to the first terrace to get a good view and an appreciation of the steps :) If you decide to go for it, then my advice would be a) not to look down while carefully and slowly working your way up maintaining three points of contact all the way, b) take your time to calm yourself before descending and if like me a little nervous of heights then you can always go down on your bum for the first few steps until feeling confident enough to stand.

Enjoy!

Visited November 2012
1 Thank worldtravellers129
Olongapo, Philippines
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Most Challenging Climb: Didn't Make it :(((”
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had a 3-day pass to the temples. On our 1st day, we trekked Angkor Wat and the petite circuit temples in the following order: Sra Srang, Banteay Kdei, Ta Prohm, Ta Keo and lastly before lunch, Thommanon. In the afternoon we toured Angkor Thom: Terrace of the Elephants, Leper King, Phimeanakas, Baphuon & Bayon in that exact order. That completes the petite circuit temples on our day 1.

Ta Keo was such a steep climb; didn’t make it to its peak ‘cause I suddenly felt fear for heights and the thought of rolling down the steep steps from such an altitude weakened my knees. And besides, my rubber shoes' too big to fit the ridiculous run. Unlike the other temples, Ta Keo does not have an alternative wood planks and railing to make the climb comfortable. You have no choice but take the challenge. In my case, I got suddenly scared in the middle of the climb. Going down is equally terrifying. Maybe because I was all by myself climbing. It could have been easier to have someone look after you or catch you should you trip.

So I promise to myself the next time I go back to Siem Reap I'm gonna climb it to the peak. I really regret not making it to Ta Keo's Peak :(

Visited July 2012