“Free pool table, free dvd's, delish food!!”
Review of Rosy Guest House

Rosy Guest House
Ranked #37 of 516 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 2, 2013

Agoda screwed us over by booking us into Angkorwall HoHo on NYE and over booking it leaving us with nowhere to stay. We arrived from Bangkok after a long travel hoping to have some rest before venturing out for the new year. Was recommended Rosy by the famous Cashewnut guest house. What a treat! 20 min walk to town(all the action, pub St. Night market etc. paid 20usd for comfy room with ac, nice beds, was only available for 1 night, was moved into an 8usd room with fan- such good value!!! Can't say enough- definitely changed my view of guesthouses! Awesome food, free games and dvds, happy hour is great. They are not pushy at all! English owned i think? Not one but did we feel hassled and rooms were clean! Siem Reap is amazing also!

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed December 16, 2012

I am in the Rosy right now and glad of it. I'm in the $20 room with fan and air con so you have a choice. Here's what I like: free pickup from bus station so you don't have to deal with all the drivers wanting you to go with them - its crazy! Your driver will wait for you with your name on a sign - Plush! Then the room, the bed is good, it has a fridge, the AC works, the bathroom is clean, the reading lamp is excellent and there is a big open area with chairs and couches like a living room but its a covered terrace. Great to sit here when you dont' feel like sitting downstairs in the restaurant/bar which is also nice. Don't even bother with the other guesthouses in Siem Reap - go here - it is only 6K from the temples. They also have bikes to rent.

Room Tip: Towards the back is where my room is and it is quiet.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We didnt stay at Rosy Guest House, however, spent probably more time there than we did at our own resort. Just a cruisy ,relaxed, and fun atmosphere, a chance to meet people from all walks of life and a great hang out for expats. Food was great not only the traditional but also the western food that i had started to crave for as we were coming to the end of our holiday.

The staff were so friendly, Simon, "Smiley" and a regular customer Richard made for good laughs and interesting conversations. Being expats they had a good understanding of the cambodian customs and special sights to see that the regular visitor would never get to.

The rooms, i didnt get to see but am told very affordable and airconditioned. Theres a large flatscreen tv on the bottom floor across from the bar that you can lounge around and watch and also a balcony above where you can over look the street and catch a cool breeze.

I would definately recommend Rosy to any of my friends, it was one of the big highlights of our stay in Siem Reap. Michele and Chris....ozzie ozzie ozzie oi oi oi!!!!!!

Room Tip: go for the airconditioned rooms!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Our room was very nice with a view of the river. Our shower was interesting, since it was pretty low budget. It was what they call in China, the "shoilet", where it's just a bathroom, no actual shower area, and the toilet and sink are right there. No curtain.

The owners are super awesome. They helped us book everything and even picked us up from the boat docks when we arrived for free. That's a HUGE help since the boat from Phnom Penh was a nightmare. It's really easy to get to any place in the city as it's really centrally located. Angkor Wat is a nice tuk tuk drive away, probably about 10-20 minutes. Our driver didn't know English very well but it wasn't a problem

Would stay here again! They booked our bus tickets back to Phnom Penh for us and kept track of everything until we checked out. EASY GREAT FUN!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
Rosy_Guesthouse, General Manager at Rosy Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. I’m sorry that your stay at Rosy Guesthouse didn’t live up to your expectations. We are a family run guesthouse; our main evening host is a family friend of 30+ years; we, the owners, do not work most evenings as we have a young family. We pride ourselves in being very hands on with all aspects of the guesthouse and my partner is the person who carries out most repairs and renovations. The room that you took, in fact, is due for redecoration by him for the impending high season just next week; new curtains and a revamp of existing pictures etc will be put in place as well as a mini kettle with drink selection which I am sorry was not in time for your stay with us. We will also look into the aspect of privacy for this section of the balcony possibly using trellis to screen this area off more from the main balcony; our housekeepers do enter this area to clean daily and water plants etc, I will discuss with them being able to do this in a more discrete way.
I’m very happy that you found our staff to be “brilliant” and “exceptionally helpful with everything”; I’ll be sure to pass on your comments to them. It’s certainly true that people make a place and our team are highly valued.

Best wishes for your future travels and thank you again for your feedback. Kind Regards, Rachel on behalf of the Rosy Guesthouse Team.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

Hi, there. I booked in here for 9 nights on Hostel World based on the good reviews on here but when I arrived I was taken to my room and I immediately decided to forfeit my booking fee and try and find somewhere else. I travel a lot for my work and I am usually happy to stay in a room with fan only but the fans in these very small rooms are poorly positioned at the foot of the bed. The rooms are also situated on the roof and are in direct sunlight all day so they heat up and get very humid inside. I think $8 for such a small room per night is a bit much, especially considering I found a much better and cheaper room for $6 elsewhere. The remainder of the hotel is very nice and I get the impression that the air conditioned rooms would be really nice. The staff and owners are very friendly as well.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the budget rooms
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Rosy_Guesthouse, Owner at Rosy Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 2, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us despite being in Siem Reap for work. We are sorry that you did not wish to stay longer than two nights with us, but we are glad that you got a glimpse of the other things in our guesthouse that our guests enjoy, whichever room type is chosen. Our budget rooms are not air conditioned; we want to keep these rooms as good value as possible to allow long term backpackers to be able to stay with us as well as those on a slightly higher budget who may prefer one of our larger, en suite and air conditioned rooms. While we would love to offer larger, fan only rooms we have to work within the constraints of our building. I appreciate that these rooms can get warm, and especially in the hotter months too hot for some, however some of our guests find Cambodia too hot full stop no matter which room they choose! We feel that these rooms are very much worth US$8. In fact they are our most busy rooms; the remaining nights from your booking were snapped up within an hour of your cancellation. We are glad that you were able to find alternative accommodation that better suited your requirements. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your time in Siem Reap at the Angkor Photo Festival, Best wishes, Rachel.

Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

To begin, I should be straight up and say I haven't actually stayed at Rosy Guesthouse overnight. I have, however, seen the rooms and had great reports from friends. But I do eat and/or drink there at least once a week but there isn't the capacity to do a review of just the restaurant on Trip Advisor.
Rosy has probably the most friendly staff of a restaurant in Siem Reap. They speak English really well and are friendly, familiar but not overbearing (it isn't uncommon to find a waiter in Cambodia who wants to practice their English when you really just want to have a relaxing drink or bite with your partner and I don't mind chatting for a few minutes, but getting into 20 minute discussions with waiting staff while you are trying to eat is a little annoying, especially as you do want to help people practice - but there is a time and place). Anyway, this definitely isn't the case at Rosy, they are friendly, will chat a little, but know when to leave you be.
The owners are a British couple and really lovely people. They are helpful and know lots about the realities of traveling around Cambodia. They are also extremely generous, running regular quiz and bingo nights for local NGOs (the deserving ones, not the orphanage tourist traps).
The reason I eat at Rosy so often is that it is great when you just want something that reminds you of home. Yes, of course we travel to experience local culture and cuisine, but sometimes (hangover???), you might just feel like some western food. I have been in Siem Reap for about 18 months and eat local Khmer food for lunch most days, but sometimes I just crave some Australian grilled cheese and tomato on toast (the grilled tomato isn't on the menu, but they have no problems doing it).
Also the trivia nights are definitely worth going to. They are great fun and have a raffle with great prizes, and you know the money raised is going to a legit NGO with a worthy cause.
As far as rooms, friends have reported paying about $10 for a room, and the rooms I have seen have been fine. It isn't luxury, but it is comfortable and worth it for the friendly staff.
Finally, Rosy is home to Branston; Cambodia's most "rotund" house cat. Cats don't get that big without being much loved, and the recent addition of Poppy the puppy gives the place a really homely vibe.
Great place. Even if you end up staying somewhere more upmarket, definitely try to come for a beer or five at one of the trivia nights, or drop in for a decent brekky, baked potato or other meal in the lovely restaurant facing the river.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Very nice place to stay! Extremely good value for your money, nice staff, good food (expensive though). Small but nice room with fan, TV and free use of DVD's. I really recommend this place!

The only negative thing is the showers in the small bathrooms. It's just on the wall (no shower curtain or anything) so the WHOLE bathroom gets soked after a shower. Later we discovered that all the places in Cambodia is the same so maybe we're just fuzzy...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple