“Average but ok”

Ranked #171 of 489 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Vienna, Austria
“Average but ok”
Reviewed February 21, 2014

The location of Encore Angkor is great, very close to Pub Street and Sivatha Rd so good places for eating and drinking are just around the corner - yet the area around the hotel is quiet at night. The terrace and lobby of the hotel are also nice but the room not so much. It was clean but small and the furniture seemed old and worn out, especially in the bathroom. Moreover, there was construction work going on on both sides of the hotel (the crocodile farm is no longer there as far as I cant tell), so it was noisy during daytime and all I saw from the window of my room was a wall of the neighboring building. If a clean place to sleep and a quick dip in the pool is all you are looking for, this is not a bad place to stay because of its location and price. Otherwise I would look elsewhere.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Phnom Pen, Phnum Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I stayed at this hotel on my first visit to Cambodia in 2008 when they had just opened. I found it to be as much as i needed in comfort and cleanliness. I stayed there again recently with my wife and found the hotel to be very comfortable. Good beds, clean and helpful and friendly staff. Breakfast was good as well. The location is excellent for a few nights stay because you can walk to restaurants, pub street and the night market with ease.

A couple of negatives. The water in the shower can get incredibly hot. And you have to be careful with the controls. You could easily scald yourself, and it's potentially dangerous.

The other is the 'no shoes' rules in their lobby. You have to leave your shoes on the steps outside the lobby. it can be a real nuisance if you are not wearing sandals. Also, my wife was not comfortable with the frequently wet floors. She felt it to be dangerous ( sometimes difficult to see) on the steps, etc. I might take off a half star for these complaints. But otherwise a good place to stay.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I stayed here for 6 nights and found it hard to leave. The place is well managed, the staff are lovely and well trained. The location is very central to Pub Street and Markets etc, but not noisy at night.

Breakfast is simple but quite adequate. The place is spotlessly clean and the beds are comfortable. There is also a nice pool.

It is also a very ethical hotel, not allowing "Sex Tourism".

I would highly recommend Encore Angkor.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2014

The hotel is located only 5 min walk from pub street and all the night markets. The staff were very friendly and accommodating of all our needs. Pool was refreshing, and breakfast each morning very convenient. Rooms were quite noisy however from construction next door and air vents, but room was clean and spacious. Would go back next time when in siem reap.

• Stayed January 2014
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 26, 2014

We stayed for three nights and would highly recommend it. Great location at the top of pub street - close enough that you're right in amongst it, but far enough away from it that you won't be disturbed by the music and drunk Australians. Our room and indeed the hotel in general were very clean and the staff exceptionally friendly and helpful. Organised our transport and guide for the temples through the hotel as well, and they made us a large breakfast to take with us (also made us a small breakfast to take with us when we checked out before the breakfast start time).

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I stayed here with a group of people doing volunteer work in Cambodia. We did not have luxury accommodation but if I was traveling to Siem Reap again I would not hesitate to stay here. It is so conveniently located to markets, eateries & Pub Street. The rooms are of good size (I was in a double) and the bathrooms are good. But the one drawback - I did not have hot water in mine, although all the others in the group did. Fortunately I had a friend next door who offered hers when we came back hot, tired & dirty from our work with schools in a disadvantaged area. The staff could not have been more helpful. Breakfasts were good - pastries, eggs & fruit. I did not try the pool as we didn't have much spare time & I was advised it's cold in Winter - but worth a try in the Summer.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 15, 2014

I didn't even get pass the reception - the service was so bad I couldn't bring myself to stay here.

I had just arrived from a long, tiring bus journey and was very hungry. Unfortunately it was peak period and about most other places were full. When I went to Encore, the price they quoted was twice that of the latest edition of Lonely Planet. Simple query of this got me unfriendly response. I wanted to have a room quickly so agreed to the price. Suddenly other customers interrupted us and the staff left the counter to serve them without even asking me to wait. I stood there for 10 minutes. Then the female owner insisted I confirmed how many nights I will stay. "can I stay for the first night and let you know when I decide tomorrow?" "NO, you have to tell me now, because depending on how many nights, I will give you which room". "well in that case, can you show me the rooms?" Another customer interrupted us, and again I was left to stand to wait indefinitely while those customers were served, instead of asking them to wait.

I turned to leave. Instead of apologising, they turned aggressive. The male owner looked as though he was ready to start a fight.

How on earth did they get the "Our Choice" rating on Lonely Planet??

Room Tip: look elsewhere.