“Pricey, but worth it...”

Chez Sophea and Matthiu
Ranked #444 of 946 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Cambodian, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed January 20, 2013

A Mexican friend recommended it, and it was worth every penny (of which more than a few were spent). The owner, Mattieu, provides for a sizable part of the experience; with us, he was charming (my gf is fluent in French, which definitely helped), and provided us with a great environment and a lovely dinner.
Food is just ridiculously good, the fish Amok we had was nothing like the 7 Amoks we had had over our 8-day stay in Cambodia. Wine was good for the usd $19 it cost,
We let Mattieu run loose on the recommendations, and that translated into a delicious dinner (cornichons in vinegar, home-made duck pate, salad, main course, fruit salad, and a chocolate funge that made us want to cry.... because of how good it was....), and into a $82 tab.
Yes, incredibly high for Cambodia, but this cannot be compared to other dinners here, you have a European-style experience, just 200 mts from Angkor.
Would definitely be back.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The proprietor and setting are welcoming and charming. The restaurant site across the street from Angkor Watt and is a refined break from the heat and crowds. There are no walls and the proprietor sleeps in the back, but the furnishings and place-settings make you believe you are eating in the French countryside. The salad and bread are great. The vegetable curry was stellar. The other dishes we ate were good, but not great. The only issue is the price. Were we eating in France it might not stand out, but $75 for lunch for four in Cambodia (without wine) is very high.

1  Thank jjhaustin
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Reviewers seem either to love or hate this place, depending mostly on whether they got on with Matthieu, the "patron". We thought he was great fun - it was definitely worth trying out a bit of schoolboy French on him on arrival, and he was charm personified throughout our visit.
The place itself looks pretty unprepossessing - off the main road that heads west out of the entrance to Angkor Wat, there's a muddy track on the south side, only about 100m from the entrance causeway, and Chez Sophea is down this track, at the end on the right. It's an open structure at the front, and seems to have living quarters at the back. But don't be put off by the ramshackle building: the quality of the food is great, and the value is good too. We had beef with a very hot Prohok sauce, and fish lok lak, both excellent. Good value for the quality: if you're drinking wine, go for a bottle rather than by the glass, as they're not very big and at $5 a time it adds up fairly fast. Like pretty much everywhere else in Cambodia, they take only cash US dollars.

Reviewed July 16, 2012

We had a wonderful dinner in the company of Matthieu, who recounted his arrival to Siem Reap twenty three years ago as a museum representative from Paris. What a character to discover in a quiet setting just across Angkor Wat.

We had so much trouble finding it that I thought I would give some indication:
First, make a reservation: http://www.chez-sophea.com/html/ or ask your hotel to call them. Sometimes, hotels act like they don't know, in which case you can also just drop by right after your morning shots.
It's just across the road from Angkor Wat. It's the last restaurant on the left.

Bon appétit!

Reviewed June 2, 2012

I went there a couple of years ago with my girlfriend and actually quite liked it. back then, the food was expensive, but still reasonable. and yes, it was probably alot better than those other tourist traps there in front of angkor wat. back then I would have given it probably 4 out of 5 stars. above average food. slightly pricy (paid like maybe $10-12 per person), but still reasonable and love him or hate him french owner.
so I went there recently again with my mum on my second trip to cambodia.
the food prices have SKYROCKETED (and that is more than just the amount of the already high inflation of cambodia). there are now only these 'set menus' which I reckon is the biggest rip-off of all time. these force you to spend at least $50 USD and buy all the unnecessary stuff you wouldnt, except if your at some wedding lunch. (3 courses, some random side dishes etcetc.). I dont know about you but when I go for lunch its one main course and a drink.
now you have to fork out a whopping $50 to get some peanuts, some random salad, some wine and some other BS... and seriously: $50 USD for a meal in cambodia is unheard of. I mean even in berlin, germany where Im from u can eat out for half that price. and its cambodia we're speaking about here. to be honest. I felt ashamed of myself for eating at such a pretentious place and Im sure the waitress was wondering how anyone could spend such a copious amount of money on a meal. and yes: it was a bit better food-wise. but still average overall.
and yea the owner: oh well. try and avoid him. hes grumpy and tells you about how bad everything is (the economy, his restaurant, the authorities blablabla). not exactly what you want to hear when ur on holiday...
not again.