“overpriced & pretentious. dont go.”

Chez Sophea and Matthiu
Ranked #414 of 1,004 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Cambodian, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 2, 2012

I went there a couple of years ago with my girlfriend and actually quite liked it. back then, the food was expensive, but still reasonable. and yes, it was probably alot better than those other tourist traps there in front of angkor wat. back then I would have given it probably 4 out of 5 stars. above average food. slightly pricy (paid like maybe $10-12 per person), but still reasonable and love him or hate him french owner.
so I went there recently again with my mum on my second trip to cambodia.
the food prices have SKYROCKETED (and that is more than just the amount of the already high inflation of cambodia). there are now only these 'set menus' which I reckon is the biggest rip-off of all time. these force you to spend at least $50 USD and buy all the unnecessary stuff you wouldnt, except if your at some wedding lunch. (3 courses, some random side dishes etcetc.). I dont know about you but when I go for lunch its one main course and a drink.
now you have to fork out a whopping $50 to get some peanuts, some random salad, some wine and some other BS... and seriously: $50 USD for a meal in cambodia is unheard of. I mean even in berlin, germany where Im from u can eat out for half that price. and its cambodia we're speaking about here. to be honest. I felt ashamed of myself for eating at such a pretentious place and Im sure the waitress was wondering how anyone could spend such a copious amount of money on a meal. and yes: it was a bit better food-wise. but still average overall.
and yea the owner: oh well. try and avoid him. hes grumpy and tells you about how bad everything is (the economy, his restaurant, the authorities blablabla). not exactly what you want to hear when ur on holiday...
not again.

Reviewed February 21, 2012

This is a michelin 1 star standard with out the bull.
The chef has a passion for food and will take you on a taste bud popping experience.
Wine was even better that the food.
Service was awesome.
As you travel there the streets are not well lit and are a lot bumpy,But you are safe,
Tucktucks will waite for you for a dollar.
When I return I will definately go on my first day.

Exeptional quality and an amazing place.
Not the cheapest but you pay for quality.

2  Thank alanpen
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Matthew, the chef & owner is quite a character; suave, funny, professional & fabulous chef. We ordered his speciality duck confit & foie gras with yummy toasted home made bread along with the traditional Cambodian dish of Amok fish. His Amok was the best i had eaten in Cambodia....I was in heaven. Everything was wonderful. We enjoyed house wine & a rare after dinner drink-a pear liqueur. His restaurant is on the road facing Angkor Wat but set back on a peaceful lane in an open air traditonal building. A perfect respite from the heat & crowds at Angkor Wat. I couldn't afford such a meal in Paris...he is truly a master chef. My time spent enjoying a meal at Chez Sophea was truly one of the best times spent in Seim Reap. Beware....hotels & such will pretend they don't know the restaurant because Matthew refuses to give them a "kick back" for the referral. Ask a tuk-tuk....they know! Matthew treats them to a free meal while they wait for you. We hired tuk-tuks for the day....it was cheaper than one ride at a time & you always had your driver ready & waiting. Do not miss enjoying a lovely European restaurant in a third world country.

1  Thank Ongwe
Reviewed November 25, 2011

Our guide took us here for lunch. So far our opinion of the touristic menu was bland western style food and we have had to ask for local dishes spices etc. This was a welcome break. There was plenty of choice on the set menu. We were asked how we would like the food cooked.i.e spicy,plain,local with a French twist. My salad was delicious and my fish cooked with local spices was great. The owner could be described as eccentric. I found him to be passionate about his restaurant and his food. I loved it here

Reviewed November 25, 2011

Ate really well here with wonderful well cooked food and fresh salads served by friendly staff over seen by the eccentric French proprieter. Home made bread, beef on the rare side and river fish bursting with flavour. European fare (albeit pricy) at its best. Merci