“Absolutly perfect; the biggest bathrooms in Cambodia at a ridiculously low price”
Review of Palm Garden Lodge

Palm Garden Lodge
Ranked #148 of 262 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Melbourne
Reviewed January 15, 2010

The wonderful staff, generous rooms and free facilities and services provided by Palm Garden Lodge meant that my stay here could not have been better!

It was incredible that for just 7 dollars a night I was able to get a large room with a very generous bathroom. Although I was very lucky with most of my budget accommodation throughout the trip, this was the only bathroom in which I could shower without saturating the toilet and other contents of the room! The free services provided with the room were quite unexpected and almost too generous, especially given the budget price of the place. The hotel provided free tuk tuks to and from the city, although it was close enough and safe enough to walk there even at night, Furthermore, breakfast, bikes, tea and coffee, as well as fantastic travel advice, were readily expensed free of charge.

As a solo traveller, my trip was made all the more better by the lodge's friendly and approachable staff. Mr Dat, the receptionist, was always up for a chat and more than willing to use his fantastic English with the guests. Also, the moto driver, whom I hired through the Lodge, was very considerate during the long bike trip to more out of the way temples and full of advice as to where I should go. He did not try to rip me off by shortening the trip and spent the entire day until sunset taking me site-seeing, while demanding no extra money in the end.

I feel that the standard of service and accommodation was as good as could be found in almost any more expensive Western-run hotel. Given that Cambodia is a developing country struggling to move forward from the atrocities of the past, the best thing that travellers can do is use their funds to support locally owned and run businesses. I therefore encourage travellers of any budget range to support this local business, as while you will no doubt be satisfied by the professionalism and high standard of Palm Garden Lodge, rather than staying in Western owned and run hotel chains, the Khmer people will benefit from you engaging the services of this wonderful, local place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Brighton
Reviewed January 13, 2010

Albeit a little tucked out of the way but its worth a walk along a dusty track to stay here if you are on a budget but dont want to compromise experience. Family run and not set out to take advantage of you, Palm Lodge is everything that you could hope for. Even though the rooms are cheap, it still comes with free breakfast and free tuk tuk rides into town. Lovely people and nice and chilled. Couldnt fault it for the price and the staff are super friendly, especially Da, Sophie and Ya.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Montreal
Reviewed January 7, 2010

I stayed at the Palm Garden Lodge with my wife and 2 teenage daughters, between Dec. 23rd 2009, and Jan1st 2010. WE had a wonderful experience, at this hotel. The rooms were spotless, the price was right, and the staff went out of their way to ensure that our stay was an enjoyable one. The hotel was a bit off the beaten path, but that guarenteed that we had peace and tranquility in the evenings. The owners Dan and Lida could not have been more hospitable. They made us feel like members of their family instead of paying guests. Mr. Mao, and Sophia the 2 managers tooke care of booking all our excursions, and made sure we got the best price possible. I would recomend this hotel to all my friends and family.
Gordon Schecter

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Oakland, CA
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I stayed here when I asked a fellow traveler in Laos where to stay in Siem Reap. They didn't pick me up at the airport like they said, which caused some issues but apologies were given. THey made up for it by the free rides they gave into the city center area (10 minute walk but a quick moto there and a time pickup is helpful). The rooms are simple but clean. I had a/c issue in one room (i paid for an a/c room) and they quickly moved me to another that worked. There is a hostel feel to the place but the occassional family also stays here. There's a little bar area that serves affordable snacks/breakfast/lunch/dinner and had a tv. All in all an affordable home base to stay at while touring the wats and enjoying the city. They also were helpful in giving advice on tours and getting back to the boarder. Always negotiate on price, but one of the driver's "brother's" gave me a quick up to the boarder immigration station drop off that was ontime and friendly. I think they had free internet when I stayed there too!

• Stayed April 2008, traveled solo
London
Reviewed January 1, 2010

Superb little guesthouse, we stayed at this guesthouse after a recommendation by some fellow travellers.
After travelling around asia for 3 months I must say that this is the best overall accomadation we came across, caring kind staff and a good breakfast.

After a very bad impression on Angelina Jolie at Angkor Thom they could not have been more kind, getting me ice and some cream to rub on an injured ankle.

They also offer the below services free of charge.
Wifi (2x computers also in reception)
Pick up from airport or bus station
Bicycle use
Picnic box if you go out for the day (Min 2 night stay)
Tea and coffee all day

We would say this is a must stay place.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Malaysia
Reviewed January 1, 2010

My friends and I (6 girls) have spent a good time (25 Nov to 28 Nov 2008) at Palm Garden Lodge and we were really pleased to have a sweet home there.
This guest house was really great!The rooms are beautifully decorated and the staffs are wonderful!Of course, the price is reasonable too!

Thanks a lot because Ms. Solida and her staffs help us a lot in arranging the tour. Or Kun.

Also, our tuk tuk drivers (Mr. Sekong Na & Mr. Vanrath) are fantastic and friendly!

Mr. Sekong can speak well in English, Thai and even Malay! So great that we can use our nation language to communicate with him. (Mr. Sekong Na : (--).) He is very helpful, friendly and funny. You will never feel boring when you hire his tuk-tuk!. Until now, we still keep in touch ^_^
Mr. Vanrath (--) is a kind man too! We are so surprise that he can communicate with us in Mandarin.

Please take the time to ride in a tuk-tuk to get first-hand feel for the amazing ancient temples, Old Market, Tonle Sap...You will be surprised what you can discover!

I love Palm Garden Lodge and Angkor so much and if I have an opportunity, I will choose to stay with them again!
Welcome to Palm Garden Lodge!You will absolutely love this GH!

• Stayed November 2008, traveled with friends
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed December 26, 2009

This hotel is strictly for tight budget traveller so I didn't expect much out of it. I stayed during Christmas week and few things i liked about the hotel while few things were unacceptable.

Though its a budget hotel but the below things are basics and can be expected out of any budget hotels. So the things I disliked:

1. The hotel restraunt food price is almost same like pub street restraunts but the worst part is I have turned away from the restraunt twice as they has either no food or chef. I am talking about Christmas eve and Christmas day itself.
2. The hotel bathroom was decently cleaned but the door was broken and no lock there. Looking at the broken latch looks to me this door was broken or shattered long time back but the management never thought its necessary to repair it.
3. We took AC room but the AC controller LCD display doesnt work so we couldn't set right temperarature.
4. Checkin took 30 mins for me as I( am not sure what were they waiting for as we were there at correct checkin time and provided our passport & visa photocopy. Also during check-out when I asked for receipt they took another 45 mins just to print bill from computer. They need to make their staff computer savvy as a starter.

Now the things I liked:

1. The hotel is just 1km away from pub street but there are other hotels in simialr rate nearer to puib street. So in case you are looking for long stay then book this hotel for first couple of nights then do your research around.
2. Tuk Tuk service drop to city center is prompt. For coming back pay 1 usd to any tuk tuk driver in the city center.
3. Staffs were friendly and helpful specially Mr. Mao who was always showing apology for any delay or not able to serve food. He has the best communication.
4. Room service is good as per its hotel fare.
5. We had breakfast only once. Free breakfast has just 2 options but taste was good.
6. Free wifi was also good. But there was a public PC near reception always occupied.

I would still recommend this to others provided they want to do compromise due to tight budget. We also haven't taken any trip from this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple