“It has changed!”

Kompong Phluk
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Kompong Phluk Village and Tonle Sap Lake Half-Day...
Ranked #87 of 190 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kompong Phluk is a village on the Tonle Sap Great Lake.
Reviewed November 20, 2013

After a good review in our guide book, we decided to give this site a try. After reaching it, however, it seems like it has gone from a charming attraction to a rip-off in the past few years. My boyfriend and I paid 15 USD to get out to the dock, where we expected to pay 8-10 dollars for the ride. Instead, for 20 dollars each we got put on a giant noisy boat with a guide that spoke no English. After a long a noisy ride out there, we paddled around in a canoe paddled by a cambodian woman, who took us through a bit of the town and trees for another 10 dollars. I think this trip might have been a really cool thing a few years ago, but isn't worth it at all now!

1  Thank Larkin B
in 8 reviews
"school children"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I can't honestly remember what I paid for the boat trip but what the other reviewers have noted; $20 is probably correct. This cost is in addition to the taxi but it was included in the other activities I had negotiated with my taxi driver (Roy) ahead of time. When I traveled there in mid September it was raining so I was happy to be in a covered taxi rather than in a tuk tuk. It was an ugly drive to get to where I caught my boat so I can only imagine what it would have been like in the tuk tuks we passed that day. Better safe in a taxi than sorry on those non North American highway roads!
After Roy dropped me off to pay the fee and catch my long wooden boat, I headed down the Tonle Sap river way along with my captain who couldn't have been more than 16 yrs. old but he sure knew how to handle that boat. We passed fisherman and plenty of rice fields until the river opened up a bit to expose some colourful wooden houses built on stilts. One of the first one's we came across was a school which I thought was pretty neat. There was a few other community buildings before the residential housing appeared. I'm not sure how sturdy these are but I certainly couldn't live in one of these homes (I like my plumbing). They had floating gardens where vegetables were being grown and floating cages where chickens and pigs were being raised.
A little further down, the boat captain docked at floating community fishery ecotourism centre. It also doubles as a restaurant and from what I could see on the chalk board, a school at times. I had a nice meal which I almost felt compelled to buy even if I was mildly hungry. I opted to take a 30-40 minute paddle boat ride around the 'floating forest' I think my paddlers were a mother/daughter team and the daughter couldn't have been more than 12 years old and she was the one in the back steering! The mom & daughter duo slowly followed the semi-marked trail around this unique forest. It was a very peaceful ride as I was seated on the floor of the boat,
Aside from some rain during the motorized boat ride to and from the village it was an enjoyable side of Siem Reap to see other than temples.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

Was it worth a trip? Yes
Was it worth 20$pax? No

We wanted to visit a floating market and chose this, based on lonely planet and tuktukdriver (less touristic and more authentic). we paid 20$pax and the tuktukdriver took us to a boat with a young boy on (max. 10y old!), he was our captain for the day apparently... no english off course!

After an hour on Tonle Sap lake we arrived at the village, which is quite impressive with the houses built on poles in the water. After another 10min the boy dropped us off at the local bar/restaurant and a guy told to hop-on a smaller boat to go in the mangrove. we said no, because our tuktukdriver told us not to (they charge an extra 6$pax and it is almost the same => ripp-off).

After an overpriced beer, the boy took us a bit further on the lake, for a magnificent view over the lake and we stopped for 10min. And then the waterpump failed... The boy dived with a running engine to go under the boat to fix it , but couldn't. he headed back but the boat got heavier. The boy still didnt seek any help at all! Eventually WE had to yell to another boat and that captain fixed it, otherwise we would have sunk. IRRESPONSABLE!!!

Reviewed November 11, 2013 via mobile

Kompong phluk is a nice day out away from the typical temple sights. I'd agree with other reviewers that the cost was a little off-putting at $20 each. They also seemed very disorganised to begin with as we were ushered on and then off two different boats, before they finally concluded we should be on yet another boat. Once we set off the scenery was interesting and it's lovely seeing schoolchildren swimming and rowing to and from school.

When setting off from the shore and when turning around the restaurant areas there can be several boats close together all jostling for space. None of the drivers seemed to care one way or another if they hit each other, and on several occasions they did collide! Nobody was hurt but they could have easily been, so do be on guard in busy docking areas.

1  Thank Pete F