“Explored on Quad Bikes”

Ranked #56 of 179 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kompong Phluk is a village on the Tonle Sap Great Lake.
Bunbury, Australia
251 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Explored on Quad Bikes”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

We toured this village on Quad bikes from Siem Reap and because the lake was so low we were able to drive right up the streets between the houses. Would be amazing to see in wintertime when lake is full.
We saw some people do he boat cruise and this looked a waste of time as the river is small and narrow and when you get there on he boat you get out and walk around the village. I would suggest only do the boat trip when lake is high enough to look between the houses.
Road in is very rough but on Quad Bikes was fun.

Visited April 2013

10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Amazing floating place”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

After 45 minute trip from town by car then need another 20 minute boat ride to Kompong Phluk. Along the way to this amazing floating place with rice file and mangrove tree once my interesting. The is different view and saw more experience of Cambodian living life.

Visited August 2012
2 Thank Than R
Malaga, Spain
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Mad Max & Waterworld Together”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Sorry for the poor analogy in the title, but this is exactly what I felt when visiting this floating village. very interesting to see and guess how and under what conditions these countryside people and fishermen are still living nowadays. This was one of the best thing I did visit when in Seam Riep. It's a bit costly, I had to pay 30$ for the boat trip which I bargained down at 25$. In the other hand, I was the only one with the driver in the boat. They can stop you at a floating bar near the mangrove, where you can chill out and contemplate the tremendous sunset.

Visited March 2013
Wauchope, New South Wales, Australia
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 76 helpful votes
“A fascinating insight”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

We had an early morning start and were driven with our guide to get a local boat. The road is a bit dusty and bumpy and we were glad to be in air conditioned van and not a tuk tuk! After three days of temples it made a lovely change and we really enjoyed our morning out. The local boat took us out on Tonle Sap Lake which is enormous, even in the dry season. People live out there on pontoon houses. They have fish farms out there and restaurants for tourists.
Then we came back to Kampong Phluk village with the houses all high up on stilts ready for when the wet season comes, when they seem to 'float'.
The village is very poor but has a school and Buddhist temple. You will probably be asked by a lady who claimed to have three children at school to buy some books (US$5) or pencils (US$2)for the students. Further down the village we were asked again by another lady to buy some pencils. Had I known that we were going near the school I would have taken some supplies for them.
It was a most interesting visit, with locals going about their business and the children playing marbles or with a kite.

Visited February 2013
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Mixed opionion.”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I was really looking forward to this trip and I think in general it was nice to see how different people live and how their lives differ greatly from mine.
I thought the trip was fairly expensive for what it was. Especially if you take into consideration how cheap most things are in this region. We paid $18 per person for a trip that lasted about an hour. The majority of the trip was us cruising along the river with not much to see. We had a guy on the boat with us who said he was a volunteer and lives in the floating village and likes to do this to practice his English and he studdies in the afternoons. His English was good and he answered all our questions really well.
When we approached the lake we rode slowly through the village and past peoples houses. We then went to the a shop which basically just sold rice, noodles as well as some other basic provisions and were asked if we wanted to buy a large bag of rice for the school at a price of $65, when we told them we didn't have that kind of money to spend on a bag of rice they then said they could charge it to our hotel, when we said no we were rudely told to get off the shop boat and go. We then went to the school and had a brief look around, got back on our boat and went back to the jetty.
We were then asked for a tip even before we had a chance to offer one.
Yes it's lovely to see the village but constantly being asked to donate money made me wary and did make me feel like it was a bit of a rip off. Also the fact that there were many other trips going on at the same time makes me wonder where does all the money go to that the tourists pay for the trip???

Visited March 2013