“Lake Village on Stilts”

Book In Advance
More Info
$38.00*
and up
Kompong Phluk Village and Tonle Sap Lake Half-Day...
Ranked #88 of 192 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kompong Phluk is a village on the Tonle Sap Great Lake.
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Go for a ride down the canal and visit the lake village on stilts. An entire village built above canals and the lake. Be on the lookout for pigs and chickens living on rafts. Take your camera. A must see ride of about two hours.

2  Thank Cechef1
in 8 reviews
"school children"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Worth to take about 40 mins of ride on a tuk tuk to get there from Siem Reap. A bit pricy (USD20 per adult and USD5 per kid) for the boat trip but it is fine as my family of four uses the whole boat. There are two main parts of the trip, first we passed through the floating village (too bad we can only see the houses on stilts as January is a dry season) and we like the second part more which we move onto a sampan (smaller boat) (an addition of USD12 for four of us) to tour around the mangrove forest. We did not stop by the temple at the floating village but I think it would be worth to spend half an hour there.

We used Mr Savuth (http://www.angkortuktuk.net/) as our tuk tuk driver. He is very safe, humble and honest. Please bring along some masks or scarfs if you ride on a tuk tuk as the road could be very dusty.

3  Thank Vincent H
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I arranged for this through my hotel so I had the same tuk tuk driver. One of the best things is simply seeing life outside of Siem reap. After 20 minutes, a side road begins. Starting out it isnt bad, then is a little bumpy, more, then, more, and. Y the destination, it is amazing we didn't tip over. But, I loved it. We passed through several small villages. Where the road stopped, after paying $17 to continue, we stopped and then took a boat onto the river. They are not foro the faint of heart. The boat trip was part of the $17 to get in. We passed young men fishing in the river. Then we came upon the village built on stilts seemingly 60 feet high. The living quarters were essentially on the third floor of the pilons. It was an amazing sight. But here is what bothered me. So we are really just driving through their neighborhood, watching as they go about normal lives. I felt I was invading their space. And many boat drivers did not respect them as they sped through, banged into their boats, and filled the air with diesel. Selfishly, I enjoyed the cultural experience, but I am aware that too many people seeking the experience will lessen their quality of life. Passing though the village, we then stopped at a "rest area" where a man got on my boat and asked if I wanted to take a smaller boat ride intothe mangrove swamp. I did not as those boats were even less safe lookin. He gave me a hard time and repeated You dont want to help my people. It was an extra $10. I said no and my driver came back on. And we continued toward the lake. Sailing onto the lake was scary because bigger boats caused huge waves. I wanted to get back as soon as possible since there were no life vests. By the time I started back, more and more boats were coming in and getting in the way of the people who live on the water. I am glad for the experience, especially the drive there and back but remember to take the people's lives into consideration before treating them as objects to view.

5  Thank denverbydakota
Reviewed January 5, 2013

We were tired of temple touring so we wanted to do something different. They charged us $15 per person for 5 people to get in (ridiculous since the temples are only $20 per day). The boat itself was dilapidated. They dropped us off at a temple with a school in it. A lady immediately came up to us and asked if we wanted to buy school books for the children. We of course agreed, thinking the proceeds go to the school. We later realized it was a private vendor selling a few notebooks and pocketing the money. The children in the classroom were well behaved and didn't seem to be learning anything they were just sitting there for show.
The village itself is interesting but it felt like we were watching them like animals in a zoo.
They drop u off in a mangrove area where they charged $3 per person to take a ride around the mangroves for 15 mins. I gave the girl a tip since she seemed really young and I doubt she got much of that fee.
Overall I felt this tour is a scam where they just try to get as much money out of u since the prices are different for everyone

Watch out and just be aware of what prices should be.

7  Thank AimeeSD