Open today: 6:00 AM - 7:00 PM

from $38.00
from $25.65
from $55.00
1,022 results
All reviews floating restaurant on stilts dry season boat trip mangrove forest tonle sap lake big boat row boat tuk tuk water level rainy season books and pencils long boat dry land private boat stilted houses fishing village
Selected filters
Reviewed October 24, 2011

This trip is a real eye opener. Floating life really, schools, shops, houses, boat repairs - you name it, it was there. The villagers are used to being looked at and life goes on as normal.
Well worth the trip out, a little bit 'packaged' but still not to be missed.
You need to be able to get on a boat but it is easy enough and the better boats have plenty of room comfy seats.
Some hawkers come up to the boats as going along but none allowed on boats themselves (not ours anyway)

Reviewed October 15, 2011

Kampong Phluk is a truly interesting place to visit. You can see a real Cambodian floating village and watch how locals do their activities on stilt houses and boats during the rainy season while their village is flooded.

I went there with my mother, aunt and friends and truly enjoyed the trip. Our driver/guide, Kim Soryar from Soryar Travel & Tours provided us with all information about the village and the Tonle Sap lake. Kampong Phluk happened to be his hometown, so he is very knowledgable about the village. Moreover, he speaks very good English so we could communicate easily and therefore got all sorts of information that made the trip more meaningful.

The canoe ride passing the mangrove trees around Kampong Phluk was certainly an enjoyable and memorable experience.

I recommend tourists to come visit Kampong Phluk to feel the real Cambodian life.

Date of experience: October 2011
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I booked this trip on the basis of one of the reviews on trip advisor. I implore you all to ignore the negative reviews further down and take a guide. Went with Holystone tours and in particular one of the owners Vithyea. The cost of the trip was $56 including transport, guide and boat trip. Vithyea picked us up from the hotel bang on time and then we had a great experince just getting to the boat. It was the start of the rainy season so many of the roads were blocked, but Vithyea found a way via the back roads, so we got to see several villages on the way. Vithyea spoke really good English and was full of knowledge about the lives of the people....it was a lot of fun watching the children jumping into swollen rivers!

Once at the 'harbour', we just had to board and enjoy the trip on our private boat. The village was about 30 minutes away...this does change depending on the season, as in the dry season it is possible to get a lot closer by car. The village was more than expected, seeing how people live with only the basics of life, but you cannot fail to be moved by all the smiley faces. Particularly loved all the colour in the village with flower boxes on many of the houses. The children even put on their own show when they see the cameras appear! We stopped at the local temple and were greeted by many children who sold us some books, pencils and sweets to hand out to the kids. Now many reading this might think what a cynical exercise to extract a dew dollars, but when you see the happiness and the fun that accompanies the performance you cannot fail to be won over by the people. If you don't want to experience this, just stay on the boat....but consider what you might blow a few dollars on...a beer or two? In our opinion it was money well spent.

We then drove on through the submerged forest and on to the lake, both of which provided great photo opportunities.

Other reviews on here complain that the company that runs the boat trips creams off most of the money from the boat element.....this may be true (i think it is about $15 each for the boat element...but was included in our tour price), but I'm sure the villagers would rather see visitors than nothing at all...they provide the drivers for the boats.

Go on this trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1  Thank ukrandomtraveller
Reviewed September 13, 2011

This is a must see, a real eye opener for the western traveller. I was amazed how people can live in such a harsh environment and how happy they were! the children laugh and love the water, a truely inspirational experience.

1  Thank Heather S
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I had booked a roundtrip first to Chong Khneas and then by boat to Kompong Phluk to see the village and the Mangrove trees.

Your trip might be different from mine, I was the only person on my boat if we exclude the guide and the boat drivers.

I didn't know what to expect, but I expected that I would be able to get some really good photos from there, and oboy did that village deliver. I didn't see a single tourist, except for me when I walked the streets (still possible early in the wet season). Everyone looked friendly, and it was very different from Chong Khneas where most tourists go, and where the people beg for money.

The guide that I had during the trip was very friendly, and his English was easy to understand.

I wish I could have stayed there for a longer time, I think I only spent about 40 minutes walking around in the village.

Date of experience: August 2011