“A little charmer!”

Ranked #31 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Cologne, Germany
“A little charmer!”
Reviewed July 15, 2011

The hotel is located a bit outside of the city center of Siem Reap in a quiet neighbourhood. The tuk-tuk drive from town takes about 15 minutes, but it's well worth it. The hotel is set in lush tropical gardens with rooms in two two-storey buildings. As you enter the hotel you pass through the open-plan reception area where there is always at least one friendly face to greet you. Next you pass by the little restaurant, which offers al fresco dining (there's a roof, but its open on one side), and the very nice fish pond. The pool is hidden away in the corner of the property and surrounded by tall trees and much greenery. Even though my balcony was facing in the direction of the pool, I could only catch glimpses of it!

The room was nicely furnished with a large bed with mosquito netting provided. However, the mosquito net had a hole and this wasn't fixed even after I told reception. Likewise the throw-cushions on the bed were a little bit stained which I simply ignored (putting them off the bed), but which I think was a little sub-standard. I would say that the overall impression of the room is that housekeeping could be a bit more attentive to details like that. Although the above was somewhat annoying for a boutique hotel, it did not really change my overall positive impression of the place as everything else was quite perfect.

Breakfast was served in the little restaurant and was a mixture of a buffet (which included coffee, orange juice, cereal, fruit, baguette and two types of cake - chocolate and banana) and table service. Once you had a seat they came up to you with a little menu asking what you would like. The selection included omelettes, fried or scrambled eggs, sausages and bacon. But they didn't actually just bring you what you explicitly ordered, they always brought you two fresh croissants and excellent home-made yoghurt as well. So breakfast was a really good experience!

I also had lunch and dinner at the restaurant twice. The first time I order amok which was really great and the second time I ordered spaghetti bolognese because I had upset my stomach (by eating from a stall at the temples ...) and did not want to upset it any more. Unfortunately the bolognese sauce was very oily and frankly not good at all. But I guess that is what you get when you order Western food instead of sticking to the local specialties.

Something that deserves special mention is the friendliness and effort of the staff. To give just one example I asked them to bring me a hot water bottle for my upset stomach and because they obviously didn't have a proper one they brought me a large plastic bottle which they had filled with hot water. Although it was improvised it worked really well!

The hotel also organized a car and driver (Sokoum) and a guide (Vanny) for me. Both were excellent. The guide was extremely knowledgable and spoke very good English. The driver was always punctual and always had cold water for us when we came back from visiting a temple. He also spoke very good English. Both had a good sense of humour and made my time visiting the temples really worthwhile.

As a farewell gift the hotel gave me both a beautiful shawl and a necklace with a little elephant carved from wood. They also moved me into a different room on my last morning so that I could make use of a room until I left for the airport in the late afternoon (transfer included). Personal touches like these set this place apart from others despite some little inadequacies.

I would recommend this place to anyone who comes to visit Angkor as they know how to help you make the most of your time in Siem Reap and will go the extra mile to make your stay a really enjoyable one.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Australienkenner
POManager, Manager at Pavillon d'Orient Boutique-Hotel, responded to this review, July 20, 2011
Dear Client,

Warm greetings from Pavillon d’Orient boutique-hotel.

Thank you very much for taking time to write a review on tripadvisor. We really appreciate it and are very happy to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

Concerning the negative points you have kindly mentioned (mosquito net and decorative cushions) we would like to inform you that actually we did notice this problem end of May while we were conducting our monthly overall room audit. We then ordered immediately the new nets and cushions cover. Unfortunately the mosquito nets are custom made and the cushions cover are made in Thailand. Therefore it took few weeks to get the new items. As these are normally used only for decoration, we did not think it'll be really annoying, we would therefore like to present you our sincere apologies for the inconvenience cause to you. We will make sure it is not happen again in the future.

Once again thank you very much for your very nice review.

We wish you all the bests and hope to have the pleasure to hosting you again in the future.

Warm regards from Angkor,

Sébastien
Pavillon d'Orient Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (340)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed July 14, 2011

Exactly like what all the reviewers say. I can't think of anything to say that hasn't already been said. It's all true! A trip to Siem Reap MUST include a stay at Pavillion d'Orient.

Room Tip: We had room 13, but I can't imagine they have any that aren't wonderful
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I spent 10 nights at this hotel and although located a bit off the beaten path, the included tuk tuks made it easy to get around. The rooms were clean and beautiful, the food at the hotel was the best I had in Siem Reap and the staff was super attentive, friendly and knowledgeable. Most in our group took advantage of the on site spa and had amazing massages daily! I will definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: All rooms are perfect!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
California
Reviewed July 7, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for seven days in early June. Excellent. Located about 15 minutes outside the main tourist area of the city (the area around the day and night markets), this haven-like place features beautifully groomed gardens and a relaxing pool. Our room was spacious, comfortable, clean, and attractive. Wi Fi in the room was reliable and free. Each member of the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Every morning we went down to the open-air dining area for a wonderful breakfast that, in addition to free menu items, included excellent buffet selections of local fruit, jams, honey. We loved the homemade yogurt. Twice we enjoyed excellent dinners at the hotel restaurant. A basket of local fruit was delivered to our room each day, and each evening we found a printed bedtime story from Cambodian folklore on the pillow. Above all, our tuk-tuk driver and tour guide, Mr. Navin, supplied by the hotel, made our time in Cambodia unforgettable. His extensive knowledge and generous spirit brought Cambodian history and culture to life. He made our Cambodia tour one of our most unforgettable trips ever. One very minor suggestion: a more substantial desk would have been very useful in our room. It was uncomfortable editing photographs, writing emails, etc., on the stylish but narrow desk in the room. In sum: If and when we return to Cambodia, we will certainly stay in this hotel again.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank California86
San Francisco, California
Reviewed July 6, 2011

We stayed at the Pavillion d'Orient because of the wonderful Trip Advisor reviews (the tour company had suggested a different hotel) The staff was wonderful - the breakfast (especially the homemade yogurt) was spectacular.

The pool was lovely and the children enjoyed it after long hot days looking at temples.

The beds were a bit hard, but that seems to be the rule in SE Asia.

I highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SFOglobetrotter
victoria, australia
Reviewed July 5, 2011

Right from the time of booking, we found staff to be friendly and efficient, from helping us plan our days to booking bus tickets. We booked a guide, which was a great decision, and nothing was too much trouble for him, our driver, the reception staff and the restaurant staff. They made our trip memorable, thank you

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank aussiethree
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed July 4, 2011

We spent 4 nights at the Pavillion. Had a lovely experience. All the staff (reception, waitress, bellhops) were friendly and helpful. They always had a smile. The breakfast was delicious with Asian and Western choices. The rooms were beautiful and we made good use of the beautiful pool and poolside service post-sightseeing. Although not located in town, we took tuktuks for $4 roundtrip every night into the city for dinner and the night market.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family