Tripadvisor

from $86.16
More Info
from $75.00
More Info
All reviews on stilts floating restaurant dry season water rises rainy season tonle sap their lives great trip our tuk tuk driver school paddle fishing swamp cambodia human
Selected filters
Reviewed December 28, 2019 via mobile

This is tricky to review. On the positive side: the stilt houses and the floating village are both really interesting. It’s such a different way of living and you really do get to see the people going about their daily lives. The people in the stilt houses were drying fish and growing beans. The people in the floating houses were out fishing and the children were doing a variety of things including both chores and games. The stilt houses vary hugely between well built and solid to shacks.
On the negative side: the boats really are bad quality, the engine noise was loud especially to start with but it did get better as it warmed up. There were no life jackets.

We had a guide with us and the tour was included in our month long trip so we didn’t have the issues with price that others have had and our guide used the down time on the lake to talk about daily life etc.

Our family of 5 all found it to be a good and interesting day out. But please read the other reviews before you go.

Reviewed December 21, 2019

I would not recommend the boat trip to the floating village, unless you are really desperate to see poor people living on boats. The river itself is dull and frankly so is the Tonle Sap. In our case there was no visit to the mangroves. The boat itself was operated by a pair of children, the youngest one even tried to give us a massage on the way back. The only positive is that some of your money may find its way to helping the local community.

Reviewed December 12, 2019 via mobile

Rather than a floating village this is a community on stilts and thus, even in the wet season, cannot be accurately described as ‘floating’. Albeit interesting at $25 a head we were somewhat disappointed.

Reviewed December 8, 2019

was $18 dollars from hotel to the boats. about an hour from town by tuktuk. Charged $40 for the boat ride and told that it includes the floating village, stilt house and the mangrove forests. 30 minutes after departure got to mangrove dock told to get off and then told I had to pay more. I said I already paid and showed my ticket and was advised no. I got back on the boat and the least interested driver took me to what I assume is classified as the floating village. some restaurants with a couple of house attached. he parked no far from one, put gas in the motor then sat and did something on his phone. I asked we go somewhere. his response at 4 pm was we wait for sunset. Sunset is 5:30 so they were happy to charge and then just sit you in the middle of the lake and wait. I said take me back he seemed less than impressed. I complained to my trustee tuktuk from hotel who took care of me for the last 3 days. on the way out he stop at ticket kiosk in the little town and complained for me. the guy that sold me the tax became out and gave me $10 and somewhat apologized. I assume they are scamming and most people fall for it. I suspect I only got $10 back since they were caught red handed. There is no value in this activity. It is $15 for the tuktuk for the day and $20.60 based on three day pass for the entrance to the ruins. This activity they charge $40 for 2 hrs and $18 for the tuktuk make this a rip off in my mind. for that price they should include a little guide and give you a little tour of the village on stilts.

Reviewed November 18, 2019

This floating village is genuinely built on stilts and they must be quite scared when the water rises and rises... We had lunch in a house and the people were friendly and hospitable... Really amazing

Date of experience: November 2019