“No boutique hotel”

Ranked #119 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
London, UK
“No boutique hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2009

I liked the place but it did not live up to my expectations as a boutique hotel as branded. The location is good, slightly out of the center but less then 10 min walk. The hotel is brand-new and rooms a spacious, well working AC.

However, to call it boutique hotel is a bit of a stretch. Design is not cluttered but traditional. Lightening in rooms is poor and to have a second chair in a double room would have been nice.

Breakfast is okay but most of the time something was missing and you waited for the staff to refill it.

Staff is helpful with tours and tuk-tuk drivers, but their price list is much higher then what you would pay if you asked a driver outside of the hotel yourself. While they have info on many trips advertised I was a bit annoyed that they posted a trip to the silk farm (i think tuk-tuk for around $15) omitting the fact that there is a free shuttle bus from town.

All in all our stay was nice, but I would probably try another place next time, preferable with pool.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
sreytin, Manager at Soria Moria Boutique Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2009
I have noticed that there have been a few comments regarding Soria Moria and the term “Boutique Hotel”. Many people have something specific in mind when they think of the term – and I thought I’d clarify why we have chosen to position our self as a boutique hotel.

I thought it would be natural to start with some industry terms and definitions before I go on to explain our approach.

What exactly is a boutique hotel?

The definition of “boutique hotel” varies amongst the hotel industries primary players.

One industry definition of a boutique hotel is:

“A smaller hotel, often in a historic building. Although there is no hard-and-fast rule, a boutique hotel will generally have fewer than about 100 guest rooms. Boutique hotels are known for offering a much more unique guest experience than the typical large, corporate chain hotel. A boutique hotel can be a good compromise between a large hotel and a bed & breakfast.”

There are other similar definitions available. Many people associate boutique hotels with “lifestyle hotels” or “design hotels” which certainly could be one type of boutique hotel…

However, even if there are no clear definition, the majority of boutique hotel operators, creators and owners can all agree on the following primary features/characteristics of a boutique hotel:

• The first characteristic is the size of the hotel
• The second characteristic being the architecture and/or design
• The third characteristic is the atmosphere of the hotel, with focus on personalized service and concern for the well being of the customer
• The fourth characteristic is Theme of the hotel.
• And the last characteristic is the target market (independent travelers, usually between late 20-50)

The reason Soria Moria has chosen to be profiled as a boutique hotel is

Our Size & Location & Target Market & Personalized service: Soria Moria is a small hotel, with only 38 large, bright and well maintained rooms, located in the town center – as opposite to the majority of the hotels in Siem Reap lined up along road 6, with 150 rooms ++ catering mainly to groups and package tourists. Soria Moria caters to individual travelers and small groups, as well as long term stays (1-6 months). We try our best to follow up on each guest individually. Knowing that every guest is different and have different demands we are happy tailor make tours on request to suit the individual traveler’s requirements. Being so small, we are able to have personal contact with our guest, give personal advises and even involve guests in community projects or participate in local celebrations if they wish to join. Many leave us as good friends that we stay in regular touch with.

Our Architecture & Design & Theme: Set in a colonial style building, Soria Moria has since the opening stage been very selective when choosing our suppliers of interior and decorations. Both to give it a personal touch – but more importantly: whenever possible, we use suppliers which have a direct impact on people’s lives and as such, improve their life chances. We believe in supporting these organizations to assist them to become self sustainable.

Bellow you can read some examples of how we have selected the design and decorations in our hotels interior:

The Iron Workshop (training project for disadvantaged young men):
All furniture at our rooftop bar (tables, chairs, barstools and lamps) have been specifically designed for Soria Moria and handmade to us to by the Iron workshop. The Iron Workshop has also made all furniture for our outdoor restaurant. This includes the fence, all tables, chairs, candleholders, menu stand and the torch burners for the entrance.
(Why: The Iron Workshops goal is to train young men in a trade, who may otherwise, may not have had the opportunity to secure employment. It aims to be self sustainable, offer professional training to the beneficiaries and support the Sangkheum Center. Soria Moria supports the Iron workshop by purchasing their products. )

The Silk Lab (training project for disadvantages young women):
All the colorful silk decorations in our bedrooms and all the decoration in the corridors and the Fusion Kitchen has been exclusively designed and produced for Soria Moria by the Silk Lab, in a mixture of traditional Khmer with a touch Scandinavian simplicity. Each floor has a different color scheme.
(Why: The Silk Lab, similarly to the Iron workshop, has been developed to assist the underprivileged women of Pouk District in the Siem Reap Province to get a skill, and a sustainable income help support their families. What we believe is the most important factor is that all profits the Silk Lab receives will go back to support the Sangkheum Center for Children. Soria Moria supports the Silk Lab by purchasing their products and by selling their products in our hotel)

Handicrafts training project:
All the cute handmade baskets from you will find in our bathrooms are purchased from the Sangkheum Center for Children.
(Why: As a part of the Sangkheum Centers training program all youths learn to make traditional Cambodian handicrafts. Soria Moria purchases baskets so they can continue making more)

Stone Carving Trainees - Kampong Thom province:
You will find all of Soria Moria’s rooms, and corridors are decorated with traditional handmade stone carvings.
(Why: We haven chosen to purchase traditional products made by Cambodian trainees from Kampong Thom in order to support their training and that this particular art remains part of Khmer culture.)

LHA - Life and Hope Association:
You will find all the Soria Moria staff uniforms, as well as the Fusion Kitchen’s linen is tailor-made by Life and Hope Associations’ sewing project.
(Why: Life and Hope Association (LHA) is a Cambodian non-profit, non-governmental and non-political organization, established by the young Monks of Wat Damnak here in Siem Reap. The goal of the Association is to improve the lives of orphans, vulnerable children and disadvantaged people, in order to give them HOPE in LIFE and the prospects of a better future. One of their projects to achieve this goal is to provide vocational training in sewing and tailoring.)

I understand that different people have different opinions regarding what a boutique hotel is. I hope this will clarify what we at Soria Moria mean by the term, so that we can avoid confusion or disappointment from those that have other expectations.

There are also other boutique hotels Siem Reap, and if you have something specific in mind – I suggest that you might want to research all of them to find one that suits your expectation.

We value feedback from our customers, and take it seriously, and we eager to improve.

Based on customers feedback, we do have plans to add more amenities to the rooms – however it is not possible to complete in the high season when the hotel is fully booked. This will be done in the low season.

I hope this was helpful.

PS. For those who are specially interested, a very interesting article called “What exactly is a boutique hotel?” by Kobrun Vidisdottit ( Manager of 101 Hotel, which is one of the most premier boutique hotels in Reykjavik) can be found on this link http://ezinearticles.com/?What-Exactly-is-a-Boutique-Hotel?&id=771281

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Siem Reap
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2009

I moved to Siem Reap, Cambodia November 2007, and the first 3 months in Siem Reap I chose to live at Soria Moria Boutique Hotel.

I booked my stay through direct contact with the owner of the hotel, because when I booked the hotel had not yet opened!!

When I arrived at Siem Reap International Airport I was picked up in a tuk tuk by a driver from the Soria Moria Hotel and taken straight to the hotel.

Arriving at the hotel was a great experience, the staff working at the front desk are so helpful and welcoming, and they really go out of their way to make you feel as comfortable as possible!!

The rooms are spacious, bright and really clean!!
And that`s not a common thing in Asia and a luxury to find at such good prices as well!

The Rooftop Bar is a great place to relax, have a drink and maybe something to eat. There is also a jacuzzi on the other side of the bar area..an amazing place to watch the sunset from!!

The restaurant serves wonderful tasting food from different countries as well as traditional khmer food, and the staff are just so friendly!!

The owner of the hotel is an amazing woman from Norway, and she really knows how to meet the wishes of the tourists and guests staying at the hotel, as well as the ones not staying at the hotel!

They have great events for social gatherings every night..some of them are :

Tuesdays are Ladies Night, where champagne or wine is served in the Rooftop Bar, and you can meet and talk with other women travelling or women who are living in Cambodia.

Wednesday is One Dollar Night in the downstairs restaurant, all Tapas and drinks for only ONE dollar each.
This is an extremely popular night at Soria Moria:)

And on Fridays they have Apsara dancing, a traditional Khmer dance performed by amazing children from Sangkhum Center for Children, an orphanage located on the outskirts of Siem Reap!
You can also visit this orphanage and other projects around town,the manager will help you arrange it!!!

The hotels location is perfect, only a 5 minute walk along the beautiful riverside and you`re in the heart of Siem Reap..with Old Market (Phsa Chas), and all the restaurants and famous Bar Street!!

The hotel is located on Wat Bo Road, a busy road in the daytime, but there is no noise at night, and you`ll get the sleep you need!!!

I would recomend staying here for anyone who wishes to see Siem Reap the best and the most comfortable way possible.

You can ask the staff any question, and they really do what they can to help you!!
And the wonderful owner of the hotel really knows everything there is to know about Siem Reap, and Cambodia in general!!

Hope this was a helpful review, and if you have any questions..just ask :)

• Stayed November 2007
Seattle
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

Friendly, helpful, competent staff. Hotel buys primarily Cambodian made products and subsidizes the staff's language education. Room was large and bright. Breakfast substantial and tasty. Nice rooftop patio and bar for sunsets. Easy walk into town for restaurants and shopping. For restaurants, we enjoyed Amok and Khmer Kitchen. Walk across the street to arrange tuk tuk transportation if you'd like to avoid the hotel's markup.

• Liked — Staff. Large, bright room.
  • Disliked — Slow Internet access. Single computer in lobby for entire hotel.
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2009

I spent three nights with two friends at the Soria Moria in January 2009. We requested three single beds which were provided as requested. The room and hotel was clean and the beds very comfortable. The tapas menu was really nice and can be enjoyed on the top floor in the evenings with cheap beer if one makes use of the daily "happy hour". The hotel staff were friendly and very efficient and have clearly been trained very well. The hotel is a short walk to town or a 1 USD Tuk Tuk ride. Free airport transfer was provided on our arrival and a very good driver provided to visit the temples at a good rate. The hotel doesn't have a pool, possibly the only draw back of our stay. Would highly recommend as a great place to stay when visiting Siem Reap.

• Liked — Staff and overall quality of the hotel
  • Disliked — No pool
  • Stayed January 2006, traveled with friends
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2009

Stayed here with the main purpose of visiting the temples. It was basically as expected from my research of the hotel. Clean, tidy and great location. But the unexpected bonus was the very friendly and knowledgable staffs! Definitely a brilliant base to do temple hopping.

I had a great time there with my wife and would have no problem recommending Soria Moria to anyone.

• Liked — The service, the service and the service.
  • Disliked — If I have to be picky, the bathroom lights were a bit dark.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2009

On my second trip back to Siem Reap, I decided to upgrade a bit to a better hotel, and skip the guesthouse/backpacker route I had done the first time. I had seen the Soria Moria in April, and jotted the name down so I could perhaps stay there upon my return in the fall--it looked so pretty and clean and friendly. And boy, am I glad I chose this hotel! Not only was my email communication and booking with them flawless and seamless, upon my arrival, I was overwhelmed by the friendly staff, the excellent use/understanding of English by all who worked there and the simple, clean, Khmer-by-way-of-Scandinavia decor in the lobby. My room was minimalist, which I enjoyed and appreciated, and well appointed--mini bar with Diet Coke (yea!), free wifi (great!) and always ample hot water in the bathtub (oh! a bathtub! how great!). I was immediately struck by all the events offered at the hotel nightly and decided to participate in as many as I could--quite important when traveling alone. There was "$1 Night" on Wednesdays, with tasty tapas and wine and beer for only $1 each! It was a social, fun, energetic affair--it appeared to be the "hot spot" in town for all the expats who live and work in Siem Reap. Tuesday night was Ladies Night at the beautiful rooftop bar overlooking all of Siem Reap and the surrounding jungles (and quite a great place to see the sunset!). Champagne and sushi (!!) was served to all women who joined, and it was a great opportunity to meet and chat with local expats and tourists alike. Friday night was traditional Apsara dancing performed by local children from an orphanage supported by the Soria Moria--dinner was served--and the menu was vast, varied and delicious!--while the children danced. It was such fun! Room rates included breakfast, and most mornings was a huge buffet offering both Western and Asian foods--enough of a meal that I would skip lunch! There's even a jacuzzi on the roof--I never got a chance to step in, but after a hot day at the temples, I was tempted but got sidetracked by my air conditioned room! The owner, Kristin, seems to know every guest by name and made me feel special, important, and like I was staying at a 5 star deluxe hotel. I can't say enough about my experience at the Soria Moria--I am a worldwide traveler, and have stayed at some of the most expensive hotels in the world, and I must say, my stay at the Soria Moria ranked right up there with those. For a fraction of the price! Although I was traveling alone, I would highly recommend this hotel to families, as it was safe, clean, convenient and fun. Not to mention, easy on the budget!

• Liked — the staff and the events
  • Disliked — sometimes the internet service was slow
  • Stayed September 2008
edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2009

A hotel with a heart - small enough to be personal but with a good public reception, rooftop bar and restaurant (Weds night was $1 a cocktail or tapas plate)

we found it very clean and friendly. Most satisfyingly, it felt like a place in tune with Cambodia, the way they do things, trips on offer etc. The rooms are spacious. Mine had two large single beds and plenty of space around them.

If you book through expedia, send them an email direct too - it will help them make arrangements, like a free airport pick up. Saving the fare is only half the benefit . It will also help fend off the persistent tuk tuk touts.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled with friends