“Pleasant stay in Soria Moria”

Soria Moria Boutique Hotel
Ranked #124 of 354 Hotels in Siem Reap
Denver, Colorado
“Pleasant stay in Soria Moria”
Reviewed October 29, 2013

I spent 2 nights in this lovely hotel in March of 2011. The service was outstanding and room clean with a comfortable bed. The hotel's central location makes it possible to walk to everything worth seeing in the town. I reserved my room easily only a day before arrival over the phone. The hotel arranged the airport transportation and sightseeing with a car and a guide during my stay. Everything worked out flawlessly and I enjoyed very much Siem Riep and Cambodia.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank GeorgeAlexiev

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stayed a couple of days at Soria Moria in March and had an excellent experience. Excellent reception, customer service. Nice & big rooms in old colonial style. Restaurant is very good and I must recommend one of their dishes called Fish Amok! The hotel is clean and also has a very nice rooftop bar with wiew of Siem Reap and surroundings. The hotel is also much involved in responisble tourism and their work is impressive. Look forward to come back to Siem Reap to the friendly Soria Moria Botique Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms high up are nice! The elevator will take you there.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Frederik L
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Our stay at Soria Moria began with a complimentary airport pick-up which never showed up! This despite confirming and re-confirming our reservation & airport pick-up twice (first time a month in advance; second time 4 days in advance). That said, we then took a public taxi from the airport ourselves to the Soria Moria (and promptly wished we hadn't; never before did we have to deal with such an aggressive, forceful taxi driver!). The check-in at the hotel was fine, and the front desk staff was apologetic for missing our pick-up (and offered a complimentary airport drop-off at the end of our stay). To their credit, the hotel's front desk staff is one of the high points of this establishment - they are always helpful in providing sightseeing advice and in booking tours/taxis.

The room: While it was of a good size, it appeared somewhat "tired" and had a musty smell. The bathroom was even more tired and definitely needed a reno. What was most disappointing, however, was the quality of the linens. Old, itchy, covered with holes, and my partner even received several mysterious bites (non-mosquito) from something in the linen on our last night at this hotel! If it wasn't for that, the room would have been much more comfortable.

The vendors: Anyone traveling to Siem Reap will surely make use of the vendors associated with their hotel - primarily, tuk-tuks and taxis. This is where the Soria Moria gets a failing grade. The tuk-tuk driver which the hotel set us up with on our first day was initially friendly, but became a real pest on subsequent days since we decided to go with air-conditioned taxis rather than tuk-tuks. Since this fellow was part of the tuk-tuk "mafia" which hung around the hotel's front entrance, he would constantly call our names out and trail behind us whenever we left or arrived at the hotel. This was the biggest contributor to our lack of comfort at this hotel. Just leaving the hotel to drop off our laundry would result in the driver coming up to us and engaging in high-pressure sales tactics (and "guilting") to try and make us use his services. Even after we firmly said "No", he would hassle us again 20 minutes later, when we left the hotel to *walk* to lunch! The hotel staff (including their "security guard") would notice the harassment but ignore the drivers whenever they engaged in this behaviour. But to give the hotel some credit, the driver of the A/C taxi which they set us up with, was friendly/amicable and NEVER engaged in such behaviour. Ask for "Tonish" or "Tony".

The food: While they offered a wide selection of dishes (tasty, for the most part) at their Fusion Kitchen, I suspect they need to work on their hygiene. We got a horrible case of diarrhea from either the food or water we consumed at their restaurant on our last night at the hotel. I should note we asked for "drinking water" from the waiter, but my guess is that they gave us tap water.

To summarize, there are a number of areas the Soria Moria needs to work on to really be considered a comfortable 3-star "boutique hotel". Until those areas are addressed, it's not a comfortable place to stay while in Siem Reap and I'd recommend staying somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jkm_tor
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 21, 2013

I spent 6 nights. The rooms are large and quite. Friendly staff, good restaurant at great prices. Overall excellent quality for the price.
I researched hotels before travelling and I am happy I chose Soria Moria.
It less then 10 minutes walk from pub street area, it has the advantage of being in a very quite area.
The friendly staff will help you organize visits to the temples.
Another great plus is the hotel supports the local community in many ways. Check out their web site.

Room Tip: corner rooms are larger and have windows on two sides, but all rooms are luminous and large and quie...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Unforunately I did not hear about this place until two days before leaving SR. I did not stay at the hotel but I did go for brekky on my two last days. It is a $3 buffet breakfast that seems to change daily, but includes eggs cooked fresh for you however you like, waffles, baguettes, toasted samdwiches, fried chicken, fresh fruits, museli, tea, coffee, juice smd the list goes on. If you are looking a great breakfast at a decent price, check it out. 7am till 9:30am

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Before travelling to Siem Reap I did lots of research on various hotels, and based on other reviews I settled on Soria Moria - and what a happy choice that was, the hotel certainly lived up to expectations. Whilst not in the middle of the party scene its only a few minutes walk or tuk tuk ride away, but it does maintain an element of quiet. The staff were very obliging and nothing was too much effort. The food in the restaurant was great and well priced and the hotel has a range of theme days where food and or alcohol is discounted so when the food is half price I would suggest that you book a table as there are lots of outsiders who venture in to get the benefits! the room and bed were great, super clean and very well maintained. The tuk tul driver who picked me up from the airport was the driver I chose for my four days out venturing out - he was knowledgeable, always on time and very courteous.And if ever I have the privilage of returning to Siem Reap this would be my first choice - my five nights here were well worth every cent and I am certainly glad I made the choice I did.

For those who don't understand what this hotel does in the local community -check out there web site this is another plus in supporting an organisation who is doing all it can to support the locals.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Jack102013
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reviewed October 1, 2013

My family stayed in a triple room for 3 nights in Sep 2013. Hotel was started by two foreigners who eventually transferred 51% of ownership to the employees to enpower and enable local Cambodians to improve their economic future.

Moria Soria is located away from the main tourist areas but within 7 to 15 minutes walking distance depending on your destination. If you'd like to party all night, then this hotel is not for you. If you appreciate peace and quiet and don't mind a little walk, then this hotel is a good find. Bicycles are available for daily rental at $2 per bike per day. The rental fee goes toward a local non-profit group. The ride to the Angkor Wat Archaeology Park entrance takes about 15 to 20 minutes. (After that, it is another 20 to 25 minutes ride to the entrance of Angkor Wat. Tut-tuts are readily available and rates are $2-$3 to most parts of town.

There are two massage places next to the hotel to ease your arching muscles after climbing and exploring the ruins at Angkor Wat Archaeologgy Park. There is also a laundry (Laundry Like Home) a few shops from the hotel which provides 24 hours service and charges by the kilogram.

Surprisingly, food is almost twice as expensive in Cambodia when compared to Vietnam and Thailand. And the quality is not comparable to its two neighbors. We found our best place to eat on our last night when we walked from the hotel to Pub Street (7 minutes) and ate at the western most street food stall which serves various BBQ dishes.

To enjoy Cambodia, bring enough US $1, $5, and $10 bills. US dollars are more widely used and accepted than Cambodian Rials. Most things cost US $1 (e.g. soda, beer, coconut drinks, inexpensive souvenirs) or a few US $ (e.g. tut-tut rides, meals). ATM withdrawls also come in US $ but has a US $6 transaction fee.

Room Tip: Hotel is a small boutique hotel with three floors for room and a roof top bar. Coupled with being i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family