“Not a summer place”

Ranked #8 of 25 Hotels in Absecon
Norwalk, Connecticut
“Not a summer place”
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Cons: The airconditioning system was from the 60's. Not the kind of place you want to be in the heat of the summer! The hallways were not airconditioned, so even if you cranked the air in your room (which didn't help much) you were a sweaty mess by the time you hit the lobby. Ice machines were only operational on 2 floors of the hotel (with no sign that said that). The front desk was understaffed. There was always a line. Better to call down and hope they pick up the phone than sweat to death waiting in line for their attention. There were a lot of shady people staying there and I did not feel particularly safe. The hallways smelled. There were guys hanging around outside. There was broken glass and garbage in the parking lot. There were parties going on during the weekend, further making me feel unsafe. Glad my room was on a high enough floor that at least I escaped the noise of the parties. I watched many people come into the hotel and then leave without checking in, because it was so gross.

Pros: The mattress and pillows were quite high quality. Everything in the room was functioning (shower, toilet, sink, coffeemaker, hairdryer, etc.). The room did appear to be quite clean. It is an EASY drive into the heart of AC from this hotel. The location is not bad at all. My GPS wanted to take me to another spot on the road, so you have to keep your eyes open for the hotel and not blindly listen to the directions.

Advice: Don't stay in the summer. If you must, then check in and leave the air blasting while you go out, so that it will be cool enough to sleep during the night.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Washington DC
Reviewed August 22, 2011

Stayed here this past weekend the lady that worked the night audit shift was very nice and pleasant. That was the only nice thing about the hotel....the hallways were extremely hot and breakfast was disgusting. I tried to fix a plate and take it to my room since there was not ample seating in the breakfast room but ended up trashing it because the sausage was undercooked and the croissants seemed stale! We ended up finding a Burger King to eat breakfast...even the soda machines on each floor didn't seem to be keeping the sodas or water cold as the two sodas we purchased were lukewarm. The kicker of our stay at this hotel is that on saturday night really sunday morning 2am when we were trying to sleep a drunken guest fell on our Locked door and our door bust wide open! So much for locks....this hotel needs to really step it's game up!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Absecon hotels

Old Bridge, New Jersey
Reviewed August 19, 2011

We stayed here august 13th to the 14th.the guy at the front desk was ok and gave me a room at the end of the hallway but thats the only good thing.the hallway to the room has no air at all.it was so hot walking down it.the carpet in the hallway looked old and dirty.the room itself was outdated with stains on the carpet and a tv that had alot of static on it.the room had a outdated air conditioner that barely worked.the room was so hot when we arrived and the ac when turned on helped very little.the room was very dusty and didnt look like its been clean in awhile.the comfortner on the bed even had stains on it.the thing that really suprised me that even some of the towels in the bathroom had stains on it and looked dirty.the toilet even looked like it hasnt been cleaned.we couldnt wait to checkout the next day and leave this filthy hot place.i wouldn recommend this place to anyone.i say dont believe the good reviews that some people write about this place.i think they are far from the truth.

Reviewed August 9, 2011

i booked this hotel & was nervous at first because of all these reviews I read, but I'm glad they were all wrong (at least for us!) The front desk staff was very nice & helpful, we had an issue with our air conditioner not working and although it took a few calls and quite a while for the guy to come check it (although it didn't matter cuz we weren't in our room over that time frame anyways) they promptly moved us to a nicer room as soon as we returned. The rooms were large & clean, beds were awesome, breakfast good & great location! We enjoyed our stay & wil go back!!!

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank adhrjh
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 8, 2011

While the hotel is reasonably priced for the Atlantic City area (those are the pros), I cannot recommend it. We never received a room key : they told us when we checked in that there was a problem with the keying machine and it would be fixed shortly. They had a staff member take us to our room and let us in. Later that evening when we returned to the hotel, the machine was still not fixed, so another staff member let us in our room. The next morning - still not fixed, still no key!
We had to go to 3 different floors to find a working icemaker;. Not a biggie, but just added to the cons about this hotel. The room itself was just ok : it was relatively clean and the bed was comfortable. The room did have a funny smell to it (can't place it, but thank goodness I brought my febreze and lysol). The carpet near the window was wet and pulling from the floor - not sure if there was a problem with the air conditioner or something else...
Breakfast was a joke - very limited selection, and very poor quality. Coffee, however, was good.
Overall, not worth the "discounted" price we paid!

Saint Jerome, Canada
Reviewed July 25, 2011

We reserve for one week at this hotel for a family trip, beach ect... on internet the photo was nice and it s seem appear clean. but after 12 hours in the car we arrive at the hotel and bad trip.... the parking was a big garbage ,chairs,table and smell very bad.The lobby window was very dirty and after the check in we go in our room. The second floor smell so bad in the corridor that i block my nose.We enter in our room and surprise....my view in my window is the parking garbage ...wow..the room was dirty and i don't have the courage for open the beds so, we found another hotel for the week and we live this horrible hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank simonannie
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Whatever you need the front desk would help you...very very hot in the hallways..they need air room very clean rooms....but I call. Myself laying in the bed before we hit the beach an my oh my....I got bite marks on me like 11 or 12 by bed bugs oh my gosh.....noooooo say it ain't so bed bugs....call and theymoved me from 3-5.....much better bui was scared to sleep at nite...please please check ur bed so this don't happen to u...

• Stayed July 2011
1 Thank meme924
Also consider these accommodations in or near Absecon
Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City
Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
#5 of 49 in Atlantic City

Been to Travelodge Absecon Atlantic City? Share your experiences!