“Shocked and Disappointed”

Ranked #6 of 25 Hotels in Absecon
Lebanon, Pennsylvania
“Shocked and Disappointed”
Reviewed August 10, 2010

> I'm very disappointed that I must write an unfavorable review of this
> hotel, but after my experience there this past weekend I have no choice. I
> bid $90.00 to stay for one night: Saturday, August 7, 2010. (my
> birthday!) at this hotel on Priceline and the hotel accepted. Because my
> fiance and I could only go on vacation over the weekend due to week day
> work commitments, we decided to book an additional night, Friday August 6,
> 2010. My fiance works 2nd shift, and after working all night and then the
> 3 hour drive we knew we would be arriving around 3 or 4 in the morning, but
> at least we would have a room waiting for us and could wake up Saturday
> morning at our destination. The first problem began when we tried to book
> Friday night. The hotel refused our bid and insisted we pay $159.00/night.
> Because we had already paid for our Saturday night stay, we agreed. I
> booked the room over the phone with a Fairfield/Marriott agent, providing my credit
> card #, etc and received a confirmation # on 8/4/2010. Thursday, 8/5/2010
> I called Marriott to confirm my reservations. Both nights were confirmed.
> Later in the evening, I remembered something else I wanted to ask, so I
> called back and confirmed again. I was assured there would be no problem
> with us arriving in the middle of the night. After a long day of
> anticipation, my fiance and I hit the road, arriving in Atlantic City dog
> tired at 3:45 AM. I entered the hotel and gave the male night clerk my
> name. After a few moments he curtly said "well, this is why I can't find
> your reservation...your credit card was declined and your reservation has
> been canceled." I was astonished and advised that was incorrect as my
> credit card is fine and I also called the night before TWICE to confirm.
> He said that did not matter, my card was declined and my reservation was
> canceled without notice. I politely began to explain that the
> representative had run my card not only at the time of reservation but also
> confirmed....I was sharply interrupted by the clerk as a rose his voice
> over mine and siad "that doesn't matter!". Incredulous, I asked "what
> happens now?" He replied "What happens now is you got lucky that I was to
> busy to sell your room, so I guess I can let you have it, but how are you
> planning on paying for it?" I felt anything but "lucky". I was shocked
> that i was being treated like a deadbeat because of THEIR mistake, so I
> said "here, run my credit card". He snatched it from my hand and a moment
> later said surprised "Oh! I went through!" "yes" I replied, "I told you
> there is nothing wrong with my card". From there I asked if my request for
> a king size bed and a view of the city would be honored, I was ignored,
> handed 2 keys, no receipt or paperwork of any kind and sent on my way. Had
> I not been exhausted, not to mention having already paid for my room for
> Saturday night, I would have left without looking back.
> Upon entering the room, not surprisingly, we had 2 doubles instead of a
> King. Our room was on the city side, but being on the second floor, we did
> not have a great view. When I sat on one of the beds, I let out a little
> 'OH!" in surprise of how hard the bed was. We did not sleep well at all.
> In the morning upon taking a shower I discovered the tub did not drain so
> we were treated to standing in dirty water while showering and the heat
> lamp was broken as the knob just spun on the wall. Additionally this room
> sleeps up to 4, yet we were only given 3 standard thin hotel towels. Since
> we each use 2 to shower, this was not sufficient to us. After my shower, I
> decided to open a window for some fresh air only to find no screen in the
> window, and since I did not wants insects flying in, had to shut the
> window. I then went to get some ice only to discover the ice machine on
> our floor was broken. I went to third floor to find that one broken as
> well. Finally, I went to the lobby for ice. This was made very
> frustrating by 2 other problems with this hotel. 1. The hallways and
> elevators are stifling hot. Clearly they do not air condition them and
> other guests were complaining as well. In addition to this, one of the
> elevators malfunctioned throughout our stay. We would get in on floor 2,
> press down and the hot, muggy elevator would go UP, stopping at EACH floor
> even though no one was there, doors opening and staying open until you
> pushed the "close doors" button, reaching the top floor, then come down,
> stopping at each floor again, doors opening at each floor again-causing
> alot of sweaty, time consuming frustration. I am sure you can see why I did
> not ask to change rooms. Many of these issues were general to the hotel
> and not room specific. Furthermore, the room specific issues could not
> have been rectified if the clerk was in fact telling me the truth and the
> room he so GENEROUSLY "let" me have was the only room available.
The room was very clean, although our room was not vacuumed the day we had housekeeping.
> The above annoyances were not good, but the night clerks disrespect for me
> as a customer was unforgivable. I have worked in customer service/ call
> centers for over 10 years. Customer service is EVERYTHING and this clerk
> should be sternly coached.. There are plenty of other hotels along this
> stretch of about the same caliber treating guests as just that,
> GUESTS. Treating guests as present and future valued customers should be paramount to all staff members.
My short little vacation (which also was my FIRST trip EVER with my fiance, making this especially important) was made much less enjoyable by this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Topeka, KS
Reviewed July 26, 2010

We had a great welcome from Tim the night desk host. He was very friendly and made us feel welcome. In addition to his courtesy, he also gave us tips on visiting AC (the skyline of which we could see from our room). The breakfast was the usual Fairfield Inn fare, but everything was spotless and it was plentiful. The area is safe, however those "Jersey Barriers" made it difficult to navigate to and from the hotel and around the town of Absecon. The pool looked good, but we didn't use it and the Internet was superb.The room was excellent and we found it to be up to the typical high standards of Marriott. Tim should get a raise.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
TimBrogan, Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City, responded to this review, January 21, 2011
Good afternoon From Atlantic City
Thank you for your response and feedback regarding your stay at the Fairfield Inn. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay here with us, and that our staff made you feel comfortable throughout the stay. The next time you are in town please give us a call during your travels as we would love to have you back as a guest.
Falls Church, Virginia
Reviewed May 25, 2010

Hi we have stayed at a lot of Marriott's as we are gold members. We usually do not stay at the Fairfield Inn but at the Residence Inn's & full service Marriott. The renovated or new Fairfield Inn's are definitely much better than the old ones & I would only recommend these over the older ones.

We were looking for a hotel for 1 night en route. This hotel for the price was well worth it. We stayed here many years ago but they have since did an upgrade & it's very noticeable as the rooms are very nice & have HDTV's. The walls are rather thin & the doors seem to slam shut so we heard a lot of noise. The dorm sized refrigerator was a nice touch. The breakfast was just OK - fast food like cereals & breads plus an egg sandwich that could be heated up in the microwave. The breakfast was OK but it could have been better.

There is a nice view of the AC skyline which was pretty at night. There was an outdoor pool that was not opened when we were there.

Overall, I think the hotel was well worth the price & we would definitely stay again. The prices are considerably less than staying on the boardwalk

There are no restaurants within walking distance to the hotel.

For the price & 10 minute drive into AC we felt the room was well worth the price.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
fairfieldinnacnorth, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City, responded to this review, May 27, 2010
Thank you so much for choosing to stay with us during your recent time in the Atlantic City area.
I wish you could have utilized the pool, which is now open, just in time for Memorial Day.
We hope your travels bring you back to our area soon, and you will visit us again.

Philadelphia
Reviewed April 4, 2010

At the last minute we decided to head down to Atlantic City on a Saturday for an overnight get away. After reading the TripAdvisor reviews we booked a room online and were pleased with our selection.
We were looking for a clean, comfortable, reasonably priced hotel near AC, and we got that.
We were checked in by Laura who was most helpful. I asked for a corner quiet room and she gave us one.
The rooms are large, looked like the carpet was new, bed was extremely comfortable and the room was very clean. It also has its own heat/air controls which makes it very comfortable as well,
We weren't sure where to park or head to in AC and Laura gave us very good advice and a map from the hotel to AC (we also had our GPS).
All in all we were very pleased.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your compliments regarding your recent stay with us April. We are glad we were able to provide you with affordable, great service and a nice view. We hope when you return to the Atlantic City area, you will choose to stay with us again.

Long Island, NY
Reviewed March 30, 2010

My husband and I stayed here on a Saturday night when visiting Atlantic City as the price was about half of what the casino hotels were charging. It was in a perfect location for easy access to the casinos, right on the road going in to AC. I had the best night's sleep that I have had in years! The beds and pillows were super comfy and there was no noise. They did put us on the top floor in the corner so that may be why it was quiet. The hotel was packed with groups of young cheerleaders and their families in for a competition in AC. So most of the floors appeared to have many girls sitting on the floors of the hallways, eating pizzas in the lobby etc. I think they may have put all the non-cheering people on the top floor to avoid issues with noise. Great idea on their part! The breakfast was very typical of these types of hotels, but due to all of the cheerleaders it was impossible to get a seat in the dining area. We grabbed a few muffins and coffee and headed back to our room. The exercise room only had a few treadmills and not much else. The pool is outdoors and is probably nice in the summer. There are no restaurants and only a small pantry to buy snacks. It is a good place to stay if you do not want to spend the money to stay in a casino hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us in March. We are glad you found our property to be enjoyable, even with a huge group of cheerleaders! We did our best to keep the group together, and our other guests away from the group noise on the upper floors.

We hope to see you again in the future! Thanks for staying with us!

Cornwall On Hudson, New York
Reviewed February 22, 2010

This is a BIG Fairfield about 4-5 miles outside Atlantic City. It is decorated boldly and effectively. The room was comfortable, the bed was fine, the breakfast was fine. The walls are thin and people came and went (slamming doors on the way) throughout the night as they went to or came from the casinos and concerts in Atlantic City. The desk clerk on duty when we checked in should be fired (and I have sent a comment to that effect directly to Fairfield because the manager of that property should know what's going on when (s)he is not present. The clerk was on a personal phone call for at least 15 minutes while she checked others - as well as myself - in. The conversation was obviously personal because she was talking about the plans for her father's birthday. She did actually manage the check-ins but the behavior was out of order...especially for a Marriott property. On the plus side again...the rate for a king non-smoking room was just over $100 --- about $150 LESS than a room in one of the casino resorts a short distance away. We felt more secure about leaving our car in the parking lot as well. And there was a gas station not far away with gas about 45 cents less per gallon than we pay in NY State. So...good choice, nice place with the exception of thin walls, well kept...and we would probably go back. And hope that the desk clerk was long gone!

Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
fairfieldinnacnorth, General Manager at Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City, responded to this review, March 8, 2010
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We have reviewed the interaction you had with our desk clerk, when we were notified by Marriott, and have done the proper discipline and coaching to educate this associate of the proper guest service we expect at all times. Since this is a long term associate, who has never had this type of complaint in the past, we feel counseling was the proper path to take. We hope you will return and see our improvements on your next visit to our area.
Upper Marlboro
Reviewed December 29, 2009

I was skeptical about the area, but my husband is from Atlantic City, and he said it was okay so I went with it. The outside of the hotel isn't great, but you can tell the hotel has been upgraded once you get inside. The rooms weren't spotless, but clean enough, and the beds were very comfortable. When the staff is at the front desk, they are very friendly and attentive, and there's a complimentary continental breakfast. The hotel is only about a 10 minute drive to the Atlantic City strip, so if you don't want to spend that extra money for the casino hotels, I would recommend the Fairfield Inn.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank msbrown76
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us. We love hearing from our guests about thier experiences while at our property, and hope that we can improve our services for future visits.
We hope that when you visit our area in the future, you will stay with us again.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Absecon
Travelodge Absecon Atlantic City
Best Western Garden State Inn
Holiday Inn Express Absecon - Atlantic City Area
Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North
Baymont Inn & Suites Galloway Atlantic City Area
Comfort Inn & Suites West Atlantic City

Been to Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City? Share your experiences!