“Bring your earplugs.”

Ranked #2 of 25 Hotels in Absecon
Freehold, New Jersey
“Bring your earplugs.”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Hotel was nice, clean, breakfast was good as well. We stayed in room 226 and the noise from the highway kept me up all night as well as the air conditioning unit. I called the front desk to complain that the room wasn't really cool ( it wasn't hot outside) and the fan keep shutting off and kicking on, waking us. I was told it was an energy efficient unit and try raising the temperature to at least 75 degrees. Well that didn't work and 75 was too stuffy. It was a shame because the bed was comfortable. I'm sure we won't stay here again as I don't want to risk a bad nights sleep again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Francescakes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Scotland
Reviewed August 2, 2013

My wife, our two teenage children and I stayed here for five nights in late July and experienced a very high quality hotel with thorough housekeeping, efficient and helpful hotel staff, a small, but lovely heated pool with hot tub (which was mostly quiet) and a spacious two queen bed suite with additional fold-down, fridge and microwave.

It was very quick to access Atlantic City (AC) by getting on the Expressway and we had no problem going to the beach during the day and returning to the hotel to prepare for going to Atlantic City restaurants in the evening. There are not many recognisable chain restaurants in the area (this could be argued as a positive!), but some of the local restaurants have been subject to poor Tripadvisor reviews. We were mostly in AC, but on three occasions, used local restaurants - Denny's (about a mile west), Five Guys (across the road - use the slip road next to the hotel to cross, and the Sunryser. All were very good, especially the Sunryser for breakfast.

This was our second hotel in two weeks in New Jersey and it took time to become familiar with the limited left turn system on main routes through the cities. If you are unfamiliar with the upcoming right hand turns then this can be a stressful experience, especially when the driving culture is pretty intense here compared to other parts of the USA and drivers follow close behind and will sound their horns at even a moment's hesitation. When returning from AC, it is not possible to make a left turn on route 30 West to gain direct access to the hotel. Instead, we found it a reasonable straightforward procedure of keeping on driving in the right lane, crossing over Seventh Avenue, then immediately taking the slip road off to Sixth Avenue allowing for a left turn to cross over route 30 and get back to the hotel on 30 East using the Best Western as a landmark for preparing for the turn into the Holiday Inn carpark.

The only frustration with the hotel was our poor wi-fi. Our devices (iPads and iPhones would always detect the hotel wi-fi but we could only connect in one part of the room - at the table near to the bathroom door, but would not stay connected for more than 10 minutes and would disconnect when moving to the bed area). I asked one of the reception staff for assistance and she was very helpful and advised that it had been affected by storms and informed that it would be reset. This did not improve things and we realised that it was the location of our room (224 - near the south west corner of the hotel) which was the key issue and as we had already unpacked, it was easier to put up with the issue rather than request a change in room, which I believe, after the full occupancy weekend, the hotel would have been obliging. Our devices had no problems connecting and staying connected in the more central parts of the hotel.

Overall, we had a great stay at this hotel due to the great environment, the helpful and friendly staff (nice to be asked if everything was okay during breakfast), and the high standard of housekeeping.

Room Tip: If you need wi-fi, especially for business, avoid our room 224 and perhaps, check it out before comm...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chungsongyau
New Jersey
Reviewed July 31, 2013

The hotels I usually stay at where booked solid so upon the recommendation of a local, I stayed here. It was a much nicer hotel than I thought. The rooms were clean, bathrooms spacious and bed comfortable. I thought the carpet in my room was a bit dingy, but other than that a good value. My only complaint (which had nothing to do with hotel) was noisy people in the hallways just lingering and talking when I was trying to sleep. Oh, and I found the a/c unit to be a bit annoying. It was hard to get the temperature right and it's a bit noisy.

Room Tip: Try to face the courtyard vs the main road..
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank RipleyNewJersey
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I had a wonderful time staying here although it was short stay and was raining. Staff were friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean and roomy. It was few mins ride to the casino. The room view was great. I will go back again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank elikopoli
Leesburg, Virginia
Reviewed July 22, 2013

As you drove down White Horse Pike you started to wonder what type of property have I been booked into by my company, but when I get there I was pleasantly surprised. This is a new (or at least very well maintained) property and really exceeded my expectations.

The rooms were typical HIX rooms - but there was plenty of space to spread out and work. The bathroom was clean, each room came with a fridge and the A/C worked great on one of the hottest days of the year.

The staff was very friendly and even provided me menus and suggestions for restaurants that would deliver to the hotel as they do not have a full service restaurant on the property.

The only downside to the property was the lack of a restaurant in the facility - although there are plenty in the area. The breakfast buffet was just OK - they were doing their best to keep it fresh and warm and they had the typical HIX spread.

Room Tip: Ask for a room way from the main road as you will get street noise if you are on that side of the pr...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Leesburger
Bronx, New York
Reviewed July 16, 2013

I felt right at home when we arrived. The Staff was very welcoming and very helpful to get the best room for us because of my Wife's and Daughters disabilities. The room was very comfortable and roomy. We went to see a show in Atlantic city which was about 10 minute ride to the Casino. There was a Jitney available to the Casino which was wonderful. There are many Hotels there to choose from. But after getting acquainted with the wonderful Staff, we decided to make our next trip back to the Holiday Inn in Absecon... .

Room Tip: I always call first to speck to a Representative about the kind of room that I require. I have not b...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
travelingmomma
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Last weekend my family took at trip to the Jersey shore and stayed at this fairly up to date Holiday Inn. The woman who greeted us was pleasant and professional and later had baked cookies set out for guests to enjoy so a plus for the kids!

We stayed in room 209 which was the nosiest room I have ever endured so much so that my husband had to find a white noise app on his phone so any of us could sleep! This room boasts the pleasure of being next to the slowest elevator in the history of man kind where dumber and drunker guests enjoy loitering (instead of stumbling down the stair just a few feet away to walk...oh no 2 small flights). It has the added feature of being positioned just above the main threshold for the hotel so that you can actually hear guests coming and going into the hotel! In addition no need to draw those curtains as you have a lovely view of a brick wall covering 80% of your only window with a view to the parking lot!!! If you are hearing impaired and don't plan to enjoy much sun light thought this could work!

The upsides of room 209 were that it is really spacious and having endured tiny rooms in the past this was not one of them. The beds (even the fold out in the couch our daughter remarked) was comfortable!

The free breakfast was lacking in fresh fruit but if you like carbs, microwaved eggs, sausages and a plethora of toaster friendly treats you are good to go! The dining area was a decent size as well and clean with a nice man who actually came to our table and other tables to ask we were doing okay which was great.

The Zimmerman trial verdict came out the night before our breakfast and we did endure a fairly on fire cleaning staff woman loudly sharing her views. I am all about free speech and don't disagree that because we live near Washington maybe are more tight lipped than people in other areas and I did not totally disagree with everything this woman was saying but I found it alarming that her diatribe went on for more than 20 minutes loudly as the front desk staff looked semi apologetic and stood back a small ways from her possibly understanding this was not entirely appropriate.

Last, they have a small pool and jacuzzi which are fine and well maintained and several sitting areas where guests can congregate and did which is lovely. They have taken good care of this hotel and most of the staff were wonderful.

Room Tip: DO NOT ALLOW THEM TO PUT YOU IN ROOM 209 unless you are hearing impaired or have no desire for anyth...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank travelingmomma_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Absecon
Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
Harrah's Resort Atlantic City
#5 of 49 in Atlantic City
Comfort Inn & Suites West Atlantic City

Been to Holiday Inn Express Absecon - Atlantic City Area? Share your experiences!