“Inconsiderate Management”

Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North
Ranked #5 of 26 Hotels in Absecon
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I had reserved 2 rooms on Expedia but had to cancel (within the timeframe for a full refund). I did not know that I had to cancel each room separately and the day of the reservation received an email confirming the reservation. I tried to cancel online and could not, so called Expedia. Since they had already paid the hotel, they called the hotel who refused to cancel the reservation and provide a refund.

It was my mistake that I did not understand that I needed to cancel each room, but I expected some understand since the other room was cancelled long before the deadline. Also, since the hotel was nearly full on a busy summer weekend, I offered to cancel the room so it could be given to someone else. They would not do that either. An Expedia supervisor also contacted the hotel management who would not provide any assistance. At least they could have given a partial refund and then freed up the room for someone else. It certainly was not customer-friendly, either for me or for others who may have wanted to stay there.

4  Thank JG11935

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel twice. Great price for being so close to AC. Very clean. Made use of the pool, which was clean and relaxing. They also have a sauna. The continental breakfast is a good quick fix. The room was spacious, clean, and well appointed. Overall very happy with my stays, looking forward to staying again soon.

Room Tip: Ive stayed on upper and lower levels, both good.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank aafunnycar
Reviewed August 14, 2013

We've stayed here for 4 days midweek in july after booking a cheap two room express deal from Priceline. After one night we could get two adjacent rooms with connecting door. The breakfast was OK, but the the breakfast room was too small, so we had breakfast three times under the gazebo. This gazebo behind the hotel is intended for smokers by the way.

There was just one problem. We arrived in very rainy weather. There was coming some foul smell from both the airconditioning units on the third floor. We reported this to the reception and the clerk said the smell was caused by the humidity and would disappear in one day if we would constantly use the airconditioning. The weather continued to be rainy and the smell did not disappear. The third room we've got on the second day, had the same problem. Because we were very satisfied with the connecting door, we didn't want to complain and decided to open the window ( with musquito netting) instead of using the aircondioning.

The pool was very nice with open windows. Staff seem to walk in and out the pool area each hour. After a complaint to reception about loud music from another room, the music stopped in a couple of minutes. The carpets in the rooms could be cleaner in the corners.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Let me start by saying that this was my first time booking a 'choice hotel' (in this case 'Clarion').

This is by far the most horrible experience in terms of customer service that I've ever had.

I'll break it down into:

Pros:
Clean and nice facilities
Indoor pool
Close to Atlantic City

Cons:

Noisy guests on the room above us
Supervisor/Manager/micro-manager -'Sandra'- was very unpleasant, condescending and abrasive.
We felt like being watched all the time by her.
I'll spare some of the details, but the few interactions (unwanted) that we had with there were not up to par with what a customer service personnel is supposed to treat customers
An excerpt of those interactions:
I asked for a toiletry item that i needed (as they had a note saying that you could ask the front desk). The other front-desk assistant (Henderson -nice guy-) was trying to help when this lady interrupted him and started to lecture me on what a toiletry item is (it looks like she is from a foreign country, but it's not justifiable) and deny the request.
She greeted us upon arrival "Hey, what do you want guys?". Seriously? Is that how you treat guests?
In the night there was a loud noise coming from the room above us. Turns out there was a bunch of kids 'playing' basketball in the room. Called 3 times to front-desk and she said she will take care of it. 3 hours later (midnight) the noise stopped.
Next day during breakfast, she was walking around us waiting for us to free the table --an uneasy feeling--. To do what? to give it to the coach of the same basketball team that was making the noise in the room --and that appears to be (the team) a regular customer of that hotel--
After coming out of the pool, she literally stopped us from using the elevator claiming that were 'soaked in water'. Soaked? really?

I removed some of the other 2 non-sense interactions when I was bringing our stuff in from the car, and also I ignored the fact that she was talking down the employees in front of guests (quite a professional, huh?).

I wasn't a good feeling at all. I paid 203 US$ for the room --it wasn't free--, and felt profiled, watched and uneasy with the way this person treated us.

PS: Our stay was last week, if you want to take recent reviews about the place.

4  Thank Nelson E
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Having stayed at this hotel before, we knew what to expect, but I am always pleased during a stay here. The hotel is clean through and though, from the lobby and breakfast area to the indoor pool to the hotel room. Everything is warm and inviting, and the staff is friendly and courteous. The manager, Sandra, is clearly business oriented but at the same time, helpful and welcoming. Our room smelled clean and fresh, along with the bedding. Plenty of room with two queen beds. The air conditioner is fairly quiet, which makes for a great sleep. And the beds! The beds are definitely the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept on. Plenty of pillows and a soft but firm mattress.

The boardwalk is a 10 minute drive from here, and hotel is literally 2 minutes from shopping centers, restaurants, CVS, dollar tree, etc. Great place to stay if you don't want to pay the high prices of the casino/hotels!

Room Tip: Our room was in the back, so there was no noise from the parking lot.
Reviewed July 22, 2013

We usally stay at the borgata but there were no rooms avaible. I have to say the bed was just as comfortable and the room was so clean. Breakfast was very good and the staff was very nice. I would definitely will stay here again and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 20, 2013

If you want to stay outside Atlantic City or any of the nearby beach towns, this is a great place to stay.

Sandra and Henderson were wonderful. There was a situation our first night where some people had to be kicked out. The hotel is three years old and Sandra told us this was the first time the police had to be called. I have to say that Henderson and Sandra both dealt with the problem quickly and correctly. I was glad to learn that they don't just ignore problems. If you plan on fighting and causing trouble, this is not the hotel for you.

The breakfast room is very small (six tables total--four with two chairs each and two tables of four). Also, the way the room is designed, it's very hard to have more than two or three people getting breakfast at the same time. I liked the make-your-own waffles. There were lots of bread items: English muffins, bagels, breads, Danish pastry, blueberry muffins. They also have I believe four kinds of cold cereal, instant oatmeal, hard-boiled eggs and whole bananas, as well as grapes and either watermelon or cantaloupe cut-up daily.

There's coffee, teabags and hot chocolate packets available near the breakfast room twenty-four hours a day.

Sandra runs around, doing everything from working the front desk, wiping down tables in the breakfast area, helping children get their breakfast, etc. (Someone sent their child down to breakfast alone. He appeared to be no more than eight or nine.) Sandra is a self-professed perfectionist, so she's constantly on the move, keeping things running smoothly.

Everything was very clean....our room, the lobby, breakfast area and laundry room.

I like the fact that the AC unit wasn't exceptionally loud in our room and the bathroom vent was a separate switch, so no one was awakened by the noise of the vent if someone else used the bathroom at night.

There are three floors in this hotel, and only one elevator, so sometimes you have to wait a bit. Also, the elevator doesn't seem to have an air-conditioning in it, so it's a bit warm in there.

As for the location, I can only give it a four out of five simply because of the inconvenience of having to go past the hotel and turn around whenever we came back from being out.

Room Tip: Top floor was quiet, even on the front of the building, near the road. Ask for a room away from the...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank cgbingo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Absecon
Garden State Inn
Garden State Inn
#4 of 26 in Absecon
Holiday Inn Express Absecon - Atlantic City Area
Hampton Inn Atlantic City/Absecon
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Absecon (Atlantic City) Galloway
Red Roof Inn & Suites Atlantic City
Baymont Inn & Suites Galloway Atlantic City Area

Been to Clarion Inn & Suites Atlantic City North? Share your experiences!