“Front Office Theft”

Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Kasane
Reviewed October 7, 2009

I have booked this hotel through a travel agent for some of my clients. We have pre-paid dinners and breakfasts. Upon arrival - after 3pm - our rooms were still not ready. The dinner is ok, but most definitely not 5 star. The rooms are in serious need of repair and renovations. We were quoted a price for the game drives and boat cruise but charged a higher rate which took more than half an hour to rectify. Then, one of the front office staff charged my client (not my room) the full dinner fee for the whole group - more than US$500 as well as a US$30 so-called 'cash out' which is when a client request cash in local currency. Because the client is Italian and didn't understand the conversion rates as we only arrived the previous night, he paid and only realised the following day when we were in Zambia what he was charged. The lodge told my booking agent they will reverse the charge immediately but not the cash-out (even though they could not find the docket where the client signed for it). This is now already nearly mid October and after numerous telephone calls and emails they still have not refunded the client's card.
The game drive rangers did not show much enthusiasm either at showing clients the animals.
So travel agents and direct clients, read many other similar comments on this lodge and be aware... If I am the only one complaining, you could have ignored this, but there are numerous other complaints.

I for one will never stay here again and will not book another single client to go there.

• Stayed: August 2009
1  Thank TravelingWilbury005

Reviewed September 30, 2009

My problem with this lodge may just be a case of poor management and training and perhaps that when I pay a premium price I do expect a premium product. The location of this lodge is stunning and the safari personnel were wonderfully educated and trained for their jobs. They also seemed to enjoy themselves, which was a pleasure and helped us to enjoy our safaris both on land and on the boats. My problems began with my first lunch when I thought to inquire about the safety of the drinking water...we were told that for 2 weeks people had been having diarrhea and that the water was a problem. I HAD TO ASK TO HEAR THIS! I took my concerns to the Guest Relations person and she echoed the information, but said we should have been told this at check in. I agree, but we weren't. Bottled water was available for purchase and it was relatively inexpensive, so that's what we did. We didn't eat fresh fruit or salad or use ice, and we brushed our teeth with bottled water. We were there two nights; the first night was uneventful. The second day/night the water pressure was low, then non existent in the cold tap, then non existent in the hot tap. There was no running water in the hotel for a number of hours. Mid afternoon we noticed that our room air conditioner was not putting out cold air. Maintenance did come up to our room twice and 'fixed' it, but it would only work for a bit. Then we had a storm and a power surge knocked out the air con again. We asked to change rooms (the temp was high 90's and we couldn't open the windows because of the mosquitoes), which they did, but the fan didn't work in the next room and we were hotter than the first room when the next power surge knocked out the air con again. We changed again, this time to a suite. The ceiling fan was working in this room so we stayed put when the third power surge knocked out the air con again. So for our last night we barely had water (not enough to take a shower as you didn't know if it would last long enough to rinse off) and no air con. While the Guest Relations and Manager on Duty did help us out, it was only because I went to the desk and stood there until they came up with the next idea of solving the problem. Whenever I went away and left the problem with them, there was no change until I returned and asked about it. I never felt that my needs were anyone's concern and I found it necessary to manage the problems myself. I find this unacceptable in an expensive lodge. If I was paying to go camping, I would have been happy with what I received; but I ended up paying a premium price for a cheap service.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 16, 2009

Due to car issues, my colleagues and I had to stay in Kasane for an extra night, and chose to try the Mowana Safari Lodge. We were very impressed. The grounds were beautiful and our dinner at the restaurant was absolutely delicious. The rooms were very comfortable and clean.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank Etoile983
Reviewed February 23, 2009

Arrived at the Mowana from a wonderful time in Zimbabwe, only to be ignored in the lobby and at the front desk. Four people behind the desk and no guests - when finally acknowledged it took 1 1/2 hours to check in. Hotel was prepaid and with voucher in hand the front desk was asking for payment. We had to escalate to management. The rest of the stay was more of the same. Staff who seemed annoyed when we asked for help or directions, but were quick to put out their hand for a tip. Waiters who were more interested in running up the bill for a tip than providing a service. Safari drivers who were unable to locate at least one of 60,000 elephants in Chobe. Management tried to make things right, but the staff left such a bad taste. I would never stay again nor recommend the Mowana to anyone. My advice would be to choose any other lodge in Kasane or postpone your trip.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taymark08
Reviewed July 20, 2008

Mowana is tired and really needs a renovation.Im sure at some stage it was 4 or 5 star but definately doesnt deserve that ranking now.We like some of the other visitors to this site had issues with our bill.Even with vouchers they took a little persuation not to bill us for our game drives and park fees.Our game drives and safari guides were great.The food was ok.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 8, 2008

We made a one-night stop-over at Mowana Safari Lodge to catch our plane back to Gaborone the next day. While I cannot say that we had a terrible time I also would not recommend staying at this lodge. We paid a high-season price of $682 per night, and in return we got the flair and charm of a cheap motel.

The whole facility is not exactly brand new, and the interiors are very dated. The rooms are reasonably spacious but neither particularly nicely furnished nor particularly clean. We found some spider webs in the corners, and the windows hadn't been cleaned in a while. The doors to the patio did not shut properly, which can cause problems with insects (but did not, in our case). The air in the room was also a little bit stale and musty.

The lodge is indeed constructed around an old Baobab tree, which is nice to look at but still doesn't make the place worth its money. The usual local safari excursions are offered, and the room rate includes two excursions per day (we had just come back from a 2-week camping safari, so we didn't make use of this offer).

The food was buffet style and of average quality. The offered selection is pretty large, though. On the positive side, it must be mentioned that Mowana Lodge also offers traditional foods and local meats, and you have the opportunity to try exotic meats like kudu or warthog, if you feel like it. For dinner, there was a one-man entertainer with a keyboard, which reminded me of vacations in tourist traps on Mallorca back in the 80s. Drinks were not included but reasonably priced (still, at the nightly rate we paid, we found this somewhat odd).

The whole place smells distinctly of tourist trap, so to speak. We had the impression that we were the only guests who had specifically booked Mowana Lodge. Most other travelers were with large groups and had been accommodated at Mowana Lodge as part of a package deal. The style and luxury you would expect from a lodge in this particular price range is definitely left to be desired.

If you want to stay in a charming place in the Kasane area it makes much more sense to stay at the nearby Kubu Lodge, for example (for a fraction of the price). If you don't mind paying a premium room rate but expect the corresponding value the Royal Livingstone across the border in Zambia is just an hour drive away. Mowana Lodge is acceptable as an overnight sleeping place if you can get a rate of $150 or $200 (or get it as a package deal), but short of that you can only call it an overpriced tourist trap.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2007

This is a large lodge with two wings either side of the main communal area. The rooms are spacious with a balcony and view of the river. The bar area is open air with a lofty roof and an eclectic array of sofas and chairs.
The food was good and the staff were great, particularly the safari vehicle drivers who were knowledgeable and interested in the local game. This lodge is not in Chobe National Park and there is a 15 minute drive to get to its gates. The river cruise is impressive for animals coming to drink, particularly at sunset. You need to make sure you wear a hat at all times, the sun is mighty fierce here!
A quality and seemingly well run safari lodge, too large to be intimate but ticks most boxes for a two night stay.

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kasane
Imbabala Zambezi Safari Lodge
#21 of 21 in Chobe National Park
Elephant Valley Lodge
Elephant Valley Lodge
#8 of 26 in Kasane

Been to Cresta Mowana Safari Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!