All reviews guide gary watering hole day trip game drives water hole the reserve animal viewing dry season water buffalo chobe river swimming pool hot water national park jaco tents ranger comfort
Reviewed June 25, 2015

We stayed for several nights here and were extremely spoilt! we were the only guests during our stay, although even if there were other guests it only accommodates around a dozen people from memory so would still be very enjoyable. Jaco and his team were outstanding hosts, Beer was a wonderful bartender and guide too. The daily activities always took great advantage of the time of day with spectacular sunsets, loved the isolation and remoteness (only about an hour from Kasane). The elephants that come to the watering hole daily are a delight to watch and move unbelievably quiet past the tent. Accommodation was extremely comfortable and thoroughly enjoyed the serenity here. Definitely a wonderful place we will return to one day. The food was fantastic and loved learning about some of the cuisine we have now cooked at home (vetkoek was a highlight for my husband!). Thoroughly grateful for our time here and highly recommend to anyone wanting to get off the beaten track but there was no compromise in accommodation and hospitality!

Room tip: Any 'tent' is perfect as it is nice and boutique and all are perfectly in the bush
Date of stay: July 2014
1  Thank Sam F
Claudia B, Public Relations Manager at Camp Kuzuma, responded to this reviewResponded September 2, 2015

Hi Sam

So good to hear that you could re-create the delicious Vetkoek you had at Camp Kuzuma! Your feedback is indeed appreciated and we are looking forward to sharing our special piece of Africa with you again!

Reviewed May 31, 2015

Camp Kuzuma is a wonderful place to stay. The camp has it's own waterhole which is entertainment without leaving the deck - in fact you can watch the happenings while taking a dip in the pool ! While we were there it was the elephants which provided lots of photo opportunities and delight as they drank, wallowed and played. The drives were a little quiet at this time and the grass was high so our sightings were limited but Gary our guide had a wealth of information about the bird life and other incidentals like the toothbrush tree and the aphrodisiac tree etc which was very interesting. It is cold first thing and when the sun goes down so you need layers, a beanie and scarf. Blankets are provided on board. A lovely touch was the hottie in our bed each night. The days however are warm. If you have the opportunity to take the day trip to the Chobe River, it is a wonderful day and a different experience viewing wildlife from the water. The accommodation is luxurious with the best bed ! The food is fantastic and so is the hospitality from Jako and the team at Kuzuma. A small intimate camp with the very best on offer. The drier season will give you more animal sightings but I was more than happy with the show the elephants put on for us and the beautiful sundowner sunsets !

Reviewed May 26, 2015

Joko and the entire team at Camp Kuzuma are absolutely spectacular hosts with the most amazing calibre of service from the welcome to the farewell and everything in between. Food, wine, safari drives, booking excursions, catering to special needs...you name it...top of the line. The best for me though was when having a day at the open-air spa having an incredible two-hour massage, there were six young male elephants grazing about 10 metres away. Incredible! (I know the camp didn't organise the elephants, but with the most consistent watering hold in the area, there's no shortage of wildlife around. I've attached a photo my partner took while I was getting the massage - attached.) I can't recommend this place enough. Best treatment ever!

Room tip: Every room has spectacular views and appointed with top end luxury!
Reviewed May 23, 2015

Want to be spoiled AND watch the wildlife AND eat six star gourmet meals at the same time? You can at Camp Kuzuma in the Kuzuma Forest Reserve of Botswana, outside of Kasane. As a travel agent, I do try to stay at properties that are unique and often they are independent of chain properties. This was the one. My group enjoyed it immensely, and watching the elephants play in the water was a fabulous bonus, from the time we walked onto their deck.

Certainly, our experience had a lot to do with how the camp was run and all the attention the Manager Jaco and his staff, Beer, Gary, Precious, and the others showered upon us. That would make any guest feel welcomed. I would have no hesitation if organizing a group, to bring them to Camp Kuzuma. What a great experience!

The rooms are fantastic, and offer nature at it’s best with it's open fronts. For the tented safari experience, and I've been to many in many different countries, you couldn’t do better. I absolutely loved it and it’s got to be 3x more fabulous in seasons where there is more game. May the game seemed to move towards Zimbabwe, but during the dry seasons, June, July August, should be teeming with wildlife. Doesn’t matter though, we certainly had our share of game viewing with the elephants.

While all the camps had fabulous food, at Camp Kuzuma, it was the greatest of any place we ate. It’s a no brainer why it was voted as the best place to eat on safari. I loved the ‘high tea’ idea, rather than a full sit down lunch. That’s a great touch, but could only work with the type of tidbits served at Camp Kuzuma with Jaco and Chef Dandy - unbelievable and so filling. Jaco is a master chef, and that showed in all our dishes. I even ate food, I don’t ordinarily eat, because the presentation was so enticing, and ultimately scrumptious. So many great memories.

I would love to include Camp Kuzuma on a future itinerary as well. It is very difficult to sell Africa in general, especially on the West Coast of the USA, but we certainly are going to try. Thank you again for the wonderful opportunity to experience Camp Kuzuma. Compliments to all. You'll love it.

Room tip: They are all good, and open to seeing the elephants coming in for water.
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed May 23, 2015

This is certainly something out of this world and we have visited every year since this amazing Wildlife lodge opened. Having travelled all over Africa for the past 15 years this is certainly something unique and the Elephant population at the pool on a daily basis is mind blowing. They have some of the biggest prides of lion (3 separate prides) we have ever seen in one location. The management,staff, service, accommodation and food is certainly 5***** plus.

Thanks once again for an experience never forgotten, we will certainly be back next year.

Room tip: Wifi in main lodge only
  • Trip type: Traveled on business