Chobe Safari Lodge
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
TripAdvisor
1,232 results
All reviewsthe rivergame drivesprivate boatnational parkdinner cruisevervet monkeysbuffet styleactivities officesafari lodgestir fryvictoria fallsreception areabuffet dinnerday tripdining areawater buffalomain building
Reviewed May 26, 2014

We stayed 3 nights at Chobe Safari Lodge. Compared to the smaller-scale lodges we had on this trip before arriving at Chobe, this is a very big lodge.

Upon arrival, the whole Kassane region was infested with shield beetles… thousands and thousands of shield beetles. Hundreds of them (this is not an exaggeration) found their way to the rooms. Everywhere we looked : bugs ! On the walls, on the floor, on the mosquito nets, in the bathroom, everywhere ! We found this quite disturbing and although management cannot be blamed for such natural and apparently unusual phenomena, I can’t help believing that something could be done : sweep the room several times per day, spray, ask the cleaning team to clean the rooms with doors closed instead of everything wide open… Sitting on our private deck was impossible, deck and chairs were covered with beetles, really unpleasant. I must admit that on day 2 and 3 there were less of them (or were we getting used to them ?).

The room itself (safari family room) was OK although a little bit old-fashioned (should be modernized). I don’t know how old Chobe Safari Lodge is but it looks a bit outdated to me (could use a more general maintenance/renewal). The bed was a little short to have comfortable sleep (for my 1m88) and the mosquito nets are too close to the bed. There is a safe, en suite bath, shower and toilet, TV, phone and a separate bedroom for up to 2 children.

The general facilities in the lodge are OK. Internet only works in the main area. There is a bar, lounge, swimming pool, activity desk, shop and all other services you would expect from this size of lodge.

Food is what I expected for this type of lodge : buffet style; nothing bad but nothing to be exited about.

Via the activity desk we booked several game drives, sundowner boat cruise and private boat cruises. The game drives in Chobe were a bit disappointing compared to the other game drives we had on our trip. Guides always use the same route (because “this is were we see most animals”) and it gets busy at moments (i.e. many vehicles). The boat cruises however were absolutely perfect and so much more fun. From the riverside we actually saw more interesting animals than on the game drives : we spotted some rare birds, crocs, hippos, sable antelopes, buffalos, … I would certainly recommend a morning (07:00) private boat cruise.

All in all, I believe that Chobe Safari Lodge offers relatively good value for money. It’s close to Chobe, has direct access to the river, offers a variety of activities; it has all what is needed to stay a few days before moving on to e.g. Victoria Falls.

Room Tip: The noise isolation between ground floor and first floor safari family rooms is not OK. Perhaps it’s best to get a room on the first floor.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stijn M
Reviewed May 23, 2014

Stayed in Safari Room which overlooked Chobe River and the wildlife on the lawn. Baboons, Velvet Monkeys, Warthog and Mongoose on the lawns, in the trees and wandering around lodge. The room was very well appointed and huge. Airconditioning and fan very effective. Bath was luxurious! Staff very helpful, especially when I needed to see a doctor. Buffet food selection good. Very much enjoyed impala sausages for breakfast. Some people complained about the "stink bugs" which are around at this time of year. I kept my screens closed and had no issues. All tours were spot on time and guides very good. Can highly recommend staying at this lodge.

Room Tip: Safari room was excellent and away from main complex.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Debra R
Reviewed May 13, 2014

Closer to Nature you can't get. We stayed in the river rooms (now our 5th time back) to the same resort. The rooms were very comfortable 2 x double beds in each room, Personally I prefer one king size bed as in some of the other lodges. The Bathrooms need a serious upgrade. The Warthogs and Mongoose was on the lawn between the rooms everyday bring you closer to nature.
The river is absolutely stunning this time of the year and are in full run after the rains.
There is a big variety of food on the buffet everyday + at least 6 kinds of meat including venison every night. The service in the restaurant is terrible - real African time so don't expect a waiter to show when you lift your hand. Be friendly to them and promise them a good tip and they will look after you. The Spa is excellent - treat your self
The Wifi is very slow and only works in the reception area

Room Tip: Make use of the Boat trips and the game drives, You are guaranteed to see at least 3 of the big 5 during every game drive. Unfortunately there is now more Rhinos in the area. The private boat trips are much better than the big open boat trips Make sure you go for a massage - Joy have magical hands! Also the Namibian village walk will open your eyes to real Africa living
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank alwyn1_12
Reviewed May 10, 2014

I stayed in Room 28 at the Chobe Safari Lodge for 3 nights. The room was huge, with a comfortable king-sized bed, built-in storage space, desk and chairs. The floors were tile, which was a good thing since the air-conditioner tended to leak water on the floor between the bed and bath areas. There was both a self-controlled air conditioner unit, as well as a ceiling fan over the bed, which kept the room comfortable. The room was very quiet and dark, with heavy black-out drapes. The room had sliding doors (with screens) leading to a good sized balcony. However, we were advised to leave the doors closed because of naughty monkeys stealing food from the rooms. There was a safe and flat screen TV, but I never turned it on, so I don't know what channels are available. I also discovered that I had a separate bedroom with bunk beds. I must have had a family room even though I had the room to myself.

As others had mentioned, the wi-fi was unpredictable, at best. The first night, it was down and they said they had no idea when it would be up. The 2nd and 3rd nights, I was able to check e-mail, but it was very slow - don't expect to download large files or watch any streaming video - or even pull up a website. There was a nice looking pool, which I didn't use.

The lodge is just minutes away from Chobe National Park - a great location. There is a small craft shop nearby. There was also a convenience store within walking distance. Since there are no restaurants nearby, all meals were at the lodge, which were buffet style. It was better than a typical buffet in that there were some things you could get hot off the grill, as well as getting a made-to-order stir-fry. Freshly made omelets and waffles were available at breakfast, along with assorted meats, pastries and fruits (but no bananas).

All in all, it was a great place to stay while visiting Chobe National Park.

Room Tip: I don't think there are any bad rooms - I believe that all are large and face the river.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank aschneider703
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We spent here 3 nights, the last day a pipe broke and the entire hotel was out of water the hole day.
The personal at the hotel was very rude, I had to ask several times for coffee during the breakfast because they were too busy talking to each other, and they were always expecting a tip. It was very uncomfortable because they don't even deserved it. They also "forgot" to put us on the list of the transfers to the airport (we told them the hours of our flight the day we arrived and the day before we left). We were lucky not to miss the plane.
The room was very old, the air condition didn't work and it was impossible to sit on the balcony because the chairs were always dirty.

The food was OK.