“More Than We Ever Expected”
Review of Steenbok Safari

Steenbok Safari
Reviewed January 15, 2015

We visited Botswana in December 2014. Moabi and Steenbok Safaris was just supposed to pick us up at the border and drop us at our lodge. What quickly became apparent was that our travel plans (set by another agency) were all confused: our lodging was unknown, our safari plan jumbled, etc. Moabi went out of his way and over the next two days, helped us to make everything right. In the process, he took me shopping for food and helped our family get settled. We ended up going on a safari in Chobe with him and also booked a boat tour. Both were fabulous. We were picked up at the right time, saw awesome animals, and just could not have been taken better care of by anyone. I would highly recommend Moabi and Steenbok for any logistical support (transfers, safaris, etc.) while in Botswana. Thank you again Moabi!

1  Thank rosenfjo
"safety"
"lodge"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed July 29, 2014

We wanted to spend a full day on the river to do bird and wildlife photography as well as find soem specific bird species as part of a birdwatching exercise. Most trips offered are for 3 hours in the morning and another three hours in the evening, so we were referred to Steenbok Safari's by Gerard Meygaarden. The cost of the trip was P2250-o excluding food and drinks and included the park fees. Moabi met us at the Chobe Safari Lodge at 08h00 ( we were 10 minutes late ) and were introduced to our skipper and guide Charlie.

Charlie did an excellent job to get us around, helping to find the birds we wanted to spot and to position the boat for photography something he does about 4 times a year for specialised trips. The boat we used was a smaller one with a V-hull and therefore quite unstable for photography if one is not used to it. If a more stable boat si required, specify before hand so that a more flat bottomed boat can be provided. we got exactly what we specified for two people with different but overlapping needs and we could do exactly what we wanted without being encumbered by a large group of people. Charlie also keeps a sharp eye on the hippo's and although eh brings you as close as possible, he always he your (and his) safety at heart.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

I and my friend booked with Moabi of Steenbok Safari a 2-nights camping trip in Chobe, in May 2014. He was highly recommended on TripAdivsor and even though he is more expensive than other companies ($500 vs. ~$350 for standard fixed date tours) he was available on the dates we needed. Overall the experience was very good with two exceptions: 1. after we crossed from Zambia to Botswana Moabi asked us to wait in order to pick up a 3rd person who needed a ride to the Kasane airport. The person never showed up and we almost missed the first attraction of the day, the boat tour. The boat waited for us but still, we expected exclusive attention during our safari - no side deals and pick-ups. On the upside the lunch after the boat ride was excellent, at a fancy waterfront lodge - unlike other boat tourists, who had a modest buffet. The 2nd issue was that Moabi forgot all the meat for the meals at his home so the 2nd morning we had to drive back to town to pick it up. It was a less than 1 hour diversion but it strengthened the initial impression. The safari itself was very interesting and Moabi is very knowledgeable. One morning, when hearing the lions roaring nearby, he dropped everything, we jumped in the car and ran to catch up with the lions - so he is willing to go the extra mile for a good safari experience. The camping gear was good. The food could have been better (the meat issue aside). After Botswana I did a 10-days safari with Wild Dogs in Namibia and their overall execution was flawless - and the dinners very tasty. So because of this higher standard I cannot give Moabi the best grade.

2  Thank Andrei F
Reviewed May 21, 2014

After seeing Victoria Falls, wanted to enjoy a one day safari and this was perfect. They picked me up at 7:30 at my Vic Falls hotel and an hour later we were crossing into Botswana. I liked the format of this tour....on the river in the morning and in the safari truck in the afternoon. We saw lots of animals and the guides were all good. Would recommend.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 12, 2014

A most enriching experience indeed ! I spent 2 days in April 2014 with Maobi and Timothy, our personal chef. Just 3 of us camping out in Chobe N.P. Did 4 game drives over 2 days and got to see all the animals. No rush and free and easy routine, unlike the other "rush" tourist package where their jeeps got to leave the park by 6.30pm.

If you desire the most intimate experience, choose to camp and rough it out. Be prepared to live with "back to basic" sanitation: make-shift shovel for your latrine, and over the head bucket shower for your bathing. The big plus: Maobi chooses his campsite well and within proximity to the animals' concentration. So each morning, you get to see animals up close and personal. Frankly, I don't think I need to step into another zoo in my life !

On a personal note, there is a personal touch from Maobi. I would call it 5 star service in the bush !!!

My 2 days was one I will remember for many years to come !!

You cannot go wrong with Steenbok ! Great job Maobi !

2  Thank Eric K