“poor value for the money, very noisy”
Review of Las Palmas Hotel

Las Palmas Hotel
Ranked #15 of 49 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Ottawa, Canada
“poor value for the money, very noisy”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Hi, I stayed at the hotel in april, with my daughter, for a night. We got a room facing the a very busy street and it was impossible to sleep. The windows are simple glass so it was like sleeping right on the street. About half of the rooms in this hotel face this avenue. The value for the money is low, old rooms, bad service. You could receive better service and get a quiet room in any hostel in Santa Cruz, for a fraction of the price. The photo of the hotel is deceiving, as it does not show that it is right in front of a busy street.

Room Tip: Ask in advance for a room that does not face the street
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Álvaro P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Utrecht, Nederland
Reviewed January 11, 2014

Pros:
- large spacious rooms
- helpfull staff
- swimming pool

Cons:
- safe at reception desk, not in the room
- outdated bathroom with stains and broken parts
- limited breakfast (although this might be caused by my very early departure)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank CamielC
Miami, Florida
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I had been mostly staying at another location in Santa Cruz for the last 10 years but that hotel had just gone down so much I decided to try Las Palmas. Mostly business people stay here. Staff very friendly and accomodating. This hotel is clean, I do mean CLEAN. The lobby, grounds, room and bathroom were very clean. Though not a new property, it is well maintained with adequate staff. Breakfast average, coffee, bread, eggs, ham and cheese. I did not eat in the hotel restaurant lunch or dinner, but it looks nice and open until 10:30pm. There is a mini fridge in the room. Laundry service was good and prompt. TWO THINGS that need to be addressed. A). It is a safe property with only one entrance to get inside. However, the doors in each room have a simple "single push button lock" on the doors like you would fing in a bathroom, this needs to be improved. B). There no type of Safe to store your belongings and documents in the room. If they would add these two features, it would certainly make this a much better property. ALSO, a little frustrating they do not give you bars of soap in the bathroom, just liquid dispensors. Probably fine for the sink but would prefer a bar of soap in the bath tub. Bottom line "would I stay here again" ? Yes.

Room Tip: Ask for an Internal room facing the back street to avoid the noise from the main road outside.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank CaptainKuddles
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We have been travelling for 5 month around the world ending in Santa Cruz, where we had a few days to spend waiting our flight back home.
These days we wanted to indulge ourselves with a fine hotel, but we were wrong in choosing Las Palmas. A room cost 100USD, and it is totally not worth it, not even for a third of the price we would have stayed. After 1 night we have left. Luckily we had only paid for this night.

So why is it that we have fled this place.
- upon arrival at the desk, it started wrong. 1 lady was already on the phone, and the 2nd person, allthough seeing us approaching, picked up another phone, and started dialing. We could wait a couple of minutes for them to finish this probably very important phone call. Sure, this is Bolivia, but then also charge Bolivian rates.
- we had to pay upfront. This is the first in 5 month travelling, and also the first in Bolivia. You do not pay upfront in a 5 star hotel. But now we know why.
- we had booked a matrimonial room, single bed. The room we got was a double with beds put together. We complained, but the answer was that this is the standard matrimonial room, otherwise we should have reserved a suite.
- the hot water is not really hot, but warmisch.
- at the swimming pool most of the day you have no sun. There are only 2 sun chairs, of which one is broken. It is old, broken and outdated. Appalling
- of course did we get a room at the front, which is very noicy as the city highway runs just in front of the hotel.

In short, you must never ever pay this amout of money for a hotel like this. There are far better options here in Santa Cruz, for less than half of the price.
We sincerely hope that with this review we will spare you a big disappointment.

Room Tip: Do not go here, that is your best choice.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Hermanenmarjon
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We had a beautifull big room with a balkonie. We ate two days in the restaurant and were surprised by the good quality.
The rooms had a fridge so you can drink cold softdrinks.
In the restaurant it is allowed to smoke.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank John D
Santa Monica
Reviewed December 4, 2011

I called ahead of time and they offered a reduced rate from posted prices so I made a 4-day reservation. They are considered a 4-star property in Bolivia but would probably be the equivalent of an aging Travelodge in the U.S.. Located on a main busy boulevard with few restaurant offerings other than some fast food though there is a grocery market a block away. Just a stones throw from the airport and the main plaza with a nice residential area is actually within 15 blocks; about a 20 minute brisk walk. I ended up switching to another hotel by the Plaza 24 de Septiembre. However, there are pluses to Las Palmas hotel. Service is warm, authentic, and professional. The breakfast offering is substantial and fresh; they even arranged a mango plate for me when I asked for no extra charge. I ordered room service one afternoon when I wanted to relax and my side order choices with coffee were perfect, tasty and reasonably priced on the room service menu. Rooms are clean but old and furniture is due for some refreshing. There is carpeting in the rooms which must be dirty as everytime I walked barefoot, the soles of my feet were very dirty afterwards; get rid of the carpet! Free Wi-Fi is spotty but I gather that's the norm here in Santa Cruz. They are attentive to your needs and very nice. Some limited English is available at the front desk and that could be a problem for non-Spanish speakers. I did help interpret at breakfast one morning for a Japanese visitor as they could not understand his request in broken English. Only problem at night is that you really need to take a cab anywhere for even just a snack or coffee. The restaurant on the premises was always empty so I guess they do room service but no one really eats in. HOWEVER, warm smiles and sincere service are their strong points. The second night before I moved to another hotel, I hopped in due to some type of strong bug bite on my foot that was very painful. Someone at the front area was wonderful and rushed to make up a small bag of ice from the bar area. My cousins and I were eventually joking in the lobby about the odd incident. The same guy checked back to see how I was doing. That's what makes for a "warm" and welcoming experience! They are a BIG WARM AVERAGE in a good way! Check them out.

Room Tip: A higher floor away from street noise.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank SMGalNewDiscoveries
Denver
Reviewed August 16, 2010

Have stayed at Las Palmas three times. Would return again. Suggest requesting a room not facing the busy main avenue that the hotel is on. Helps to know Spanish, but not necessary. Some of my friends enjoyed the small, but adequate pool. Rooms clean, good sized. Bath aging, but clean and with plenty of room. TV. We enjoyed bkst, lunch, and dinner at various times at their restaurant. Staff quite accomodating.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends