“Watch out....and a bit run down.” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Buganvillas Hotel Suites & Spa
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Hayward, California
“Watch out....and a bit run down.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel is about 25 minutes from the VVI airport. Taxi cost 70 Bolivianos- there were 4 of us. Simple enough....but when the hotel set up a return taxi for us the next morning the driver told us the fare was 280 bolivianos!!!! WHY? We refused to pay it. The taxi was one with the hotel logo on it - and it was small so our luggage didn't even it! We had to have one bag across our laps in the back seat. I thought the hotel was doing us a favor by arranging the taxi the night before....little did I know.
The hotel is fine. Nothing great. The Oasis restaurant is ok - not bad. Simple. They gave us "welcome drink coupons" - but that's not really what they are - they're good for a glass of juice only. That's fine but just call it what it is. Honestly - why bother!
Suite as ok - TV in master bedroom was poor - something wrong with the sound so you couldn't understand the people talking. Others were ok. Kitchen - the smoke detector (or something but that's the beeping noise) - went off ALL night. We arrived late in the evening and honestly just too tired to deal with it but obviously whoever cleaned the room HAD to have heard it as it went off every minute! Good directions for the hot water - worked good but no water pressure. Just a trickle. I wouldn't go back.
Overall staff was good - front desk and staff for luggage was very good. Restaurant, it was obvious that our waiter didn't want to be there and only came to our table when we flagged him down....and no one else was having dinner at 9 PM - maybe he just wanted to go home.
I guess I'm really down on this one because the rest of our 2 week tour in Bolivia was great. We had better accommodations at hostels!
Overall -- it was just OK. Its just not worth the 25 minute taxi if this is just an overnight to catch connecting flight in morning. Due to change in flights we didn't arrive early enough to use the pool but it looked nice.

Room Tip: this suite was a 3 bdrm - 2 bath. It worked great for us. The AC unit was very noisy in the master b...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CostumerExperience, Guest Relations Manager at Buganvillas Hotel Suites & Spa, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Customer,

We are very sorry for your unpleasant experience with the taxi service.
We would like to inform that it is an outsourced service that gives us an extern company. Please if you can provide us the information about the vehicle that provided the service and lead us to identify it. For corrective action, preventing a recurrence this.
As a recommendation we inform that the service vehicles, carry a price chart on the back of the driver's seat and also have a card with their ID and authorization for entry at theHotel.
We want to identify the driver to sanction the poor service provided to your self.

Buganvillas Suites & Spa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed in this Hotel for tree days. I was given the longest hotel room I've ever been. It's quite old, but is beautifull. Highly recomended for families with children. Every room has two rooms in it. It has a fully equiped kitchen, living room, bathrooms, etc. The A/C made some noise but was acceptable. outside there's a small mini market where you can buy some things to survive. I has a barbecue place, soccer field, tennis, gym, swiming pools. Nice to to visit Santa Cruz de Bolivia o for a cuople of days for ralaxing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ArtGio1
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed 2 nights a this hotel. Rooms are very large, with kitchen, dinning room, living room, maid's quarter, a master's bedroom and another rom with twin beds.

Both the master's bath room and the other bathroom were small and had leaking fawcetts, one of them leaking also on the floor, needs maintenance. In the master bedroon, the mattress was very soft, needs to be changed. The safe have a mecanical lock with a key, but it could be open easyly with a sharp tool.

Breakfast is OK. coffee was not warm and milk for cereal was not kept cold. The Soho restaurant and the snack bar were good. The Lure restaurant was closed for renovations.

The location of this hotel is OK is you have a car to travel with. If you want to walk to try another restaurant, everything is too far.

There are 3 swimming pools which we saw that they put chemicals in at night, but they did not look clean to us in the day time.

This hotel from the outside doesn't look old but the rooms definitly need major renovation. It looks old.

We travel to Santa Cruz frequently for business and won't be going back to this hotel. Very expensive for what it has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Bogota, Colombia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

Santa Cruz's hotels don't differ too much from one another. Here, I got the top flooe (4th) suite, pretty much like an apartment. Huge in size, average in luxury in key areas (kitchen, bathroom), but understand this is due to the property's age. The bed was alright, but the room was spacious enough to make you feel comfortable. Can't speak about the other rooms tough.

Elevators and hallways in the condominiums look old. That's an alert sign - though lower your expectations when in Bolivia. So long as you're ok with feeling in the early 90's, you're good.

The pool areas are gorgeous. Would recommend it for pleasure, more than business. Wifi was free but got 1 signal strip on my Ipad. The area is so quiet, you'll feel guilty just leaving for work. Mind you, the lobby is quite small.

Room Tip: Ask for the price of the 4th floor rooms, the ones with the large windows
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Felipe C
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

well, what else can I say? it was really worth the money...great pools, trees everywhere, nature, peace, awesome breakfast...believe me, nothing like it!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gerard J
Chevy Chase, Maryland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

I stayed at the Buganvillas Hotel for 8 nights in March of 2012. The resort has several options for accomodations and because I was staying with 3 other volunteers on an Operation Smile mission trip, we selected a condo like suite with four bedrooms and three baths. The rooms were clean but dated and sparsely decorated. The furniture in the common areas was very tired. My biggest complaint was the water pressure / temperature. I didn't take a single shower that didn't require me to jump out at least once because the water turned freezing or scalding hot. The drains were very dirty.

The resort itself was extremely clean and inviting. Breakfast consisted of a hot station of eggs, omletes, and waffles and a variety of fruits, breads and cheeses. The resort has several restaurants. The Oasis Bar at the pool and a fine dining restaurant called Soho. We ate dinner almost every night at the Oasis. The one night we tried Soho we waited over an hour for our food. The food was average... and I would never go back because of the horrendous service. The spa was very nice and I had an excellent massage for $35!! The pool was always pristine.

All in all, I felt this resort to be very average; however, I have not traveled frequently in this part of the world so my expectations might have been too high based on what I am accustomed to. I would like to point out that the lobby has a small display case of wallets, belts and purses made locally from crocodile. I bought a beautiful red clutch that is absolutely gorgeous and most of the guys bought wallets as souvenirs.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank JulieRush
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

My husband and I stayed at Buganvillas just for one night. It was a beautiful place with an upscale Mediterranean theme. Overall, the grounds were similar to a very nice US condo complex, but with the amenities of a resort.

We arrived early (check in time is 3pm) so we were given drink vouchers and directed to Oasis Snack Bar, in between two if three pool complexes. It's overpriced, but the food was good. When we finished eating, we were able to check in early. Upon entering our room, we realized that we had been upgraded to a two bedroom suite with a living room, kitchen, and empleada quarters. It was way more than we needed, but it would be a very nice accommodation for a family or group as it was really large.

That afternoon we went exploring and checked out the hotel facilities. We were pretty amazed at the grounds as we did not realize they had all kinds of sport courts, a gym, playground, area for grilling and full size soccer field.

We enjoyed the pools, had excellent messages in the Spa (one of the best I've had), and spent most of the night at the new resort addition, Lure. Lure is a very large restaurant and lounge. It's modern and very well done. There are two inside restaurant buildings (one slightly submerged under water). The rest is outdoor seating which included typical tables, but also cabanas with couches and large round booth tables. The food was excellent and the service was more than attentive. It was pricey by Bolivian standards, but for two full entrees, two rounds of drinks each and a shared dessert it was only $40 US.

Overall, I thought my stay there was very nice, but I did notice small unconvinces that would not fly in the US. My only complaints:
1. The outdoor hottub in the spa was not working (but there is one inside and hotel guests can use that and the saunas for free).
2. The jacuzzi by the third pool complex was drained and not working- you had the use the other jacuzzis.
3. The gym and Oasis bar were not open Monday nights (the only night of our stay).
4. Upon waking up, we could hear the cleaning staff above us moving the metal furniture on the tile floors.

Again, these were very minor so overall, we would recommend this place. I think it would be ideal for families and groups.

• Stayed November 2011