“Beware..."little scams" at Hotel Camino Real, Santa Cruz, Bolivia”
Review of Camino Real Hotel

Camino Real Hotel
Ranked #1 of 50 Hotels in Santa Cruz
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I checked in at Hotel Camino Real, Sta. Cruz, Bolivia on Saturday May 18th. When doing the reservations for two rooms, and because was my first time in Sta. Cruz, late arrival, etc. I asked them to arrange for a taxi/vehicle to wait for us at the airport.

I worked fine. When leaving, I asked again for same service and the person the reception office, says to me.... better if you go outside and take a taxi (were several parked there), because a taxi will cost you Bo (Bolivianos) 70.- to the Airport.
But if you do thru the hotel will cost you Bo 65.- per person !! Same what you pay upon arrival.
I said, why to pay per person, you pay per car ??? What if I'm with my wife ?
He said, doesn't matter, we charge per person (without telling at moment of ordering for the first time).
We took a taxi from the outside and I asked the driver if the charges per person or per ride and he said, that he hear this complains before. They (taxi) charge per ride, but the hotel charges per persona and keep the money for them.

So next time that you go to beautiful Santa Cruz, take a cab at the airport (well indicated and organized) and avoid the "little" scam from Hotel Camino Real.

Leonardo Cusnir

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank Leonardo C
Ma. Alejandra A, Director Comercial at Camino Real Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Guest:

We appreciate taking the time to write a review, the opinion of our customers is very valuable for the development and improvement of our services.

The information that our receptionists gave you is correct, the policy is to charge for each person and not by taxi for the transport service Hotel-Airport-Hotel. The information from the transport possibilities was presented with full transparency for you to decide which suits you best, at no time, in more than 35 years as Hospitality Chain, we tried to fool our guests and customers.

We wish to clarify that the cost of our transport service is due to the payment of taxes, fees payment via credit card and especially for the safety to offer our customers personnel and vehicles guaranteed (Individual driver Register, Car Register and guarantors), conditions that the free transport service in the city does not offer.

We hope had offered you information that better explain this misunderstanding, we are open to serve you in the best way on your next visit to our beloved city.

Best Regards,

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Very disappointing stay.Although the rooms are large and the pool area is nice,the service is awful and the noise of the hotel is unberable.
When I checked in I noticed a small bottle of water in the bathroom,which was supposed to be a courtesy one,but when I asked more in the night I figured out that they were complimentary too.What a mistake,I was charged for them!!!
I stayed one night long,and I barely slept.There were a bunch of men screaming,slamming doors,dragging the furniture.I complaint twice calling the front desk,and nothing was done.Two hours fighting to have a good night sleep I called for the third time and a front desk employee told me that they were supposed to cut the power of the room if they didn`t quit.What kind of hotel is it that there`s no security to keep the quieteness deserved for the guests???

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!!!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Liylly
Ma. Alejandra A, Director Comercial at Camino Real Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear guest:

We appreciate your comments and we are very sorry that your stay was not pleasant, about in those days we had hosted musical group who participated in a local festival, unfortunately these guests had inappropriate behavior. We contacted the organizer to report complaints we had.

About the water bottle placed in the bathroom we usually give this to oral use and is replenished daily.

Please be assured that all comments you gave us were evaluated in a Committee of Quality ( performed with all the department heads), for which we assure you that if you pleased us whit your preference in your next visit to our city, your ​​stay with us will be pleasant.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any query or requeriment that you may have.

Reviewed May 11, 2013

This is one of the top hotels in Santa Cruz Bolivia according to a local, however it is not up to par with 4 and 5 star hotels I use in the United States.
The staff is excellent and attentive. Food is decent and fresh. The property is getting old and has not kept up on all repairs. I was surprised that tiles that was broken in the bathroom during my last stay 2 years ago were still broken! They are in the process of building a new separate hotel building on same property and that is why I think they are not doing any needed repairs on the existing building.
Lots of small ants observed in bathroom, my local friend said that is normal for Santa Cruz.

Room Tip: Wait until the new building is completed.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank InvisibleSecretAgent
Ma. Alejandra A, Director Comercial at Camino Real Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Guest

We greatly appreciate you disposed your time to send us your comments and suggestions, which we value and have taken into consideration.

Indeed, we are doing expansion work of new and modern facilities; and we are confident that with this we can adapt more to the needs of our customers.

After completing this work, we will begin the process of updating and improving our existing rooms.

Again, thanks for your comments and concerns.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

Huge Room, comfy bed which meant good sleep! Complimentary wifi (internet speed could be better) and decent work desk, as well as separate round table and two seats.

Bathroom is good size, albeit slightly outdated.

Pool is just fantastic for R&R - massive pool with a slide, waterfalls, and even a pool bar - you may order cocktails or an ice cream sat AT the bar on stone bar stools in the pool.

Breakfast buffet spread is fantastic and not to be missed.

Mall under construction across the road, which will be useful once its up.

Room Tip: Pool Level (Lower Ground) means you can walk straight out to the pool deck, although there are more...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear guest:

We really appreciate your opinion and suggestions, this motives us to keep improving.

On the other hand please let us inform you that soon we will openning our new facilities, equipped with latest technology and very modern. Hope to have you again in our hotel to enjoy them.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We picked this hotel on the basis of recommendations on TripAdvisor. There is a laptop in every room. Very impressive in and out; wish we could have stayed longer. Prices are very reasonable, we thought. We would definitely go back.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest:

Thank you for your comments.

We certantly hope to have you here in your next visit to Santa Cruz city.

Reviewed March 24, 2013

It is good hotel but it is in middle of nowhere. Rooms are clean and comfortable but this is definitely not a 5 star hotel.
Pool area is very nice at first but it is very noisy as the main road is just outside of the walls.
Spa (sauna) is very good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the the San Martin Av. are actually much more quite than the ones facing the pool. Do...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 11, 2013

I had a very good stay here. In fact the best stay I've ever had in a hotel. The reason why I didn't give 5 stars was because there were some cons but it was a close thing.
The cons are as follows:
-Air conditioning wasn't strong enough to beat the scorching summer heat resulting in a very humid and HOT room (a major minus) I told the front desk about it, but it was still that way
-There were ants in my bed
-Beds were kind of flat...but at least not rock hard. It had SOME padding on it.
-The pool smelled and looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a while
-The jacuzzi was weak

The major plus is the great attitude everywhere. Instead of avoiding us like they do in practically all the hotels (I work in one, so I know! I do it too!) they looked straight at me and smiled. They didn't seem bothered by questions they've probably heard a million times. The food from the restaurant was excellent. I highly recommend the silpancho and soups. My fmily and I transferred from this horrible hotel ( I think it was called hotel de pais) and the door didn't even work over there. This was much better.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family