“Only stay here if you can get a good deal!”
Review of Hotel Mirador

Hotel Mirador
Ranked #11 of 13 Hotels in Copacabana
Melbourne, Australia
“Only stay here if you can get a good deal!”
Reviewed May 24, 2013

We stayed here about a week ago and paid 45 bolivianos each for a matrimonial with a private bathroom. I wouldn't pay any more, definitely not worth it. Rooms were huge and overlook the lake but they are freezing cold so make sure you have lots of warm clothes. Our shower didn't have hot water, just lukewarm but with no water pressure so it was almost pointless showering. Staff were really rude and inappropriate though, when we first arrived a guy and girl were wresting/dry humping behind the reception desk and they didn't want a bar of us. Breakfast was great though- real coffee, breads and jams, fresh fruit and fresh juice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Marsais-Sainte-Radégonde, Pays de la Loire, France
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This hotel has large rooms overlooking the lake. On the surface it is most impressive.

However, dig a little and things start to go wrong. Customer service is almost non existent. The front desk is often not occupied, and if it is then by someone who can't help and who has to shout down into the dining room to attract someone who can. Excuse me, is this a tramp steamer or a hotel?

We only stayed for 2 nights, thank goodness, but had no water for much of that time. Internet connection was poor and the router was switched off over night - bad luck if you got up before the staff in order steal a march on the day (which is not difficult since the staff didn't start to appear until what seemed to me very late).

The front door was locked and unattended overnight. You CAN get out for an early morning run, but don't close the door behind you or you won't be able to get back in!

The sheets were too small for the bed. I'm told this is not unusual in South America, but this is the only time we experienced it. Our room had 2 double beds (with single sheets), so we stole the sheets off the second bed and put 2 pairs on the first bed, sideways. That worked. Thankfully the hotel service was so bad that no-one came to remake our bed, clean or tidy our room during the day so our "adaptation" lasted our stay.

Frankly, I'm sure you can find a better place to stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Copacabana hotels

Lima, Peru
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I am surprised to see this hotel at place number 7 on trip advisor. Maybe too many people who travelled via Copacabana from Peru have been spoiled by peruvian hospitality and service. Bolivia is different!!
We had a room exactly like in the picture. Spacious, warm from the sun, clean, cable TV with HBO. There was always hot water, breakfast was (despite all the bad reviews) a lot better than other hostels/hotels/hospedajes.
A double room for 40bol a night for two people (weekends 50), all rooms got huge windows with beautiful view over lake titicaca, breakfast included and for what it is it is pretty good: banana + 2 types of melon, hot water, coffee, tea, milk, bread, butter jam (and as much as you want of all of that) We have been to places where you get bread butter jam and tea and stay in a 6 bed dorm and no hot water for 56bol per night - so those folks who wrote that this places was horrible might need to check their list of expectations and check with other hostels throughout Bolivia - can't think of a place for 40bol a night that clean and that filling of a breakfast. Copacabana out of season is a lame place - yes the doors of hotels close early - but that you could have asked up front. A little asking does not hurt and it is only for your own safety that they shut the gates at like 10pm. Same applies for towels and toilet paper - you gotta ask for everything. Admittedly, the bathroom was very simple but we stayed here for 6 nights - as we both got ill with the flu and there are far worse places out there to get sick at. There are better, there are worse - our experience was great!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Valras-Plage, France
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Admittedly, the whole of Copacabana, Bolivia, has scarred me. Our coach driver abandoned us in the Andes at night, so we had to get on a random boat across the lake, as it slowly began to sink and was pouring with rain. As we pulled up on the beach, we just ran to the nearest hotel hoping there would be rooms!

The Mirador did have lots of rooms, and the day after I realised why!

Firstly, it is like going back in time. If you've been to the Tower of Terror at Disneyland, you can probably relate to the decor and atmosphere. The staff were rude and very glum and they locked the front door at 10.30pm, which we were not aware of on the first night!

Additionally, the rooms are very simple. The bed was similar to a plank of wood and there was no hot water... I had the coldest shower I have ever had in my life.

The one positive is the general cleanliness, I would have expected a cockroach or two but didn't have anything to moan about in that department!

It wasn't pricy, however I think the price paid was still too much for this dated, and somewhat freaky, hotel on the beach.

(If it had been nice weather my review may have been less negative, as from other reviews I see the view from the hotel was apparently good!)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Hotel is located in a lovely position in front of Lake Titicaca. The place seems unfinished and building is shabby. The rooms were barely acceptable and the bathroom smelt of dank and mold. Shower was freezing cold however the hand basin had hot water. I decided to soap up and use the bathroom as a shower unit by splashing water from the faucet in the hand basin all over me and the bathroom. I didn't care !!
We hadn't had a shower for 2 days due travelling.
Breakfast was very poor. Bread rolls, awful coffee and overripe bananas. Wifi was available in the foyer however slow and sometimes non existent.
This place really ticked me off. I will say that the Isla de Sol is magnificent.

• Stayed March 2013
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is the first review I have ever written and I have stayed in many hotels and hostels all over the world but this hotel is so bad I thought it was necessary.

The rooms were filthy with mould hanging from the ceiling so if you have asthma this hotel is definately not for you.

The doors close at 12.30am which sounds quite late but the bars in Copacabana dont really liven up until 11pm so if you stay here you will not be able to experience this. It doesn't seem to matter if you are already outside the hotel and arrive back after 12.30am you will not be allowed back in! (there are no signs stating this rule so you just have to find this out by chance).

The staff behind the reception desk are very unhelpful. I tried to speak to the gentleman behind the desk at 10.30pm (well before lock down) and had to persuad him to stand up out of his sleeping bag on the floor, he grunted and groaned and certainly did not want to speak to me or answer any questions I had. This hotel feels like a prison!

I certinaly would not have chosen to stay here however I booked through a travel agency in La Paz and did not have a choice in the matter...I will not be booking my travel and accommodation like this again.

Point is...DO NOT STAY HERE, you will regret it!

Room Tip: Do not stay here so no reason to choose a good room (good rooms do not exist)