“Disregard negative reviews.. Great!”

Hostal Colonial del Lago
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Copacabana
“Disregard negative reviews.. Great!”
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Upon reading prior negative reviews I feel compelled to write my experience. After 6 months of hostels in Central and South America I found this place, in particular its location and value for money, up there with the best. I will review by responding to past criticism:
-noise: I didn't notice any unwanted noise but if you choose to stay on the main square, on the corner of the Main Street with the only bus stop outside, what do you expect? A little noise
-towels and toilet paper: just ask and they will provide! It's the first time in a month I haven't had to hire the towel. A bonus for sure!
-breakfast: more than stale bread and jam is a plus in this part of the world. The added fresh juice and banana was a treat. As for the coffee.. I LOVE being able to determine the strength myself, but just having coffee was special, let alone percolated.
-rats? No
-hot water: the longest continual
hot shower I've had for a while
- left luggage whilst on isla del sol and no problem
In summary this place is a hidden treasure. To get a private room with private bathroom and a semi-lake view for less than $10/night, ill take that! Everything else was a bonus.

• Stayed October 2013
2 Thank AussieK2

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
  • Korean first
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed August 13, 2013

I don't always drink in my hotelroom, but when I do, it needs a splendid view on the lake like in this hotel! First of all, the hotel is surprisingly cheap and breakfast is included! The inner courtyard is beautiful and every room counts with a TV. There is lots of mould in the shower and the staff is incredibly unmotivated. Nobody told us there was a roof terrace!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank DoktorShiruango
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have never had such a bad experience with staff. They are really rude and ignored me when I asked a question, standing in front of him! The rooms are cheap so don't expect much. Breakfast is poor. There are tanks of gasoline inside and next to the door outside where people smoke. Rally dangerous!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Copacabana hotels

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My room smelled like cigarette, the toilet look terrible - like public toilet. The window was a bit broken so it was freezing. The only reason I stayed because I needed Internet in my room for the night. I run in the morning for a different hostal even without breakfast. I was very much disgusted from the hostal.

• Stayed June 2013
Perth
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Bare basic hostel to begin with, no toilet paper provided, electric hot water not working. Horrified to hear rats running around on the ceiling all night. Little sleep had. All our food in our room got chewed on and ruined by rats getting in to our room!! Asked for a discount and receptionist threatened to make it difficult for us to leave to Peru later that day as he has friends in immigration. Disgusted! DO NOT STAY HERE!

• Stayed June 2013
plymouth
Reviewed May 19, 2013

Arrived by coach into Copacabana without a booking,expecting to find plenty of rooms.But,there was a big Fiesta on,and we were told that most places were fully occupied.So,we ended up paying 300bvb for that night,the price was then reduced to160bvb for the night after.But,have to say it was worth it,as the carnival was quite something.
The room was a triple so had to pay for the three beds.We found the beds comfortable,and the room very light & sunny,plenty of hot water even in the tap.and a TV,which had the carnival on.
Very helpful chap on the desk,who carried our bags up the four flights of stairs,as we were feeling the altitude.Breakfast,wasn't up to much,just bread & jam,bit of friut, tea/coffee,and they like you to pay in advance for the room.The coaches stop just outside the hostal,so you don't have to carry your bags far.

Room Tip: the higher you go the quieter it is
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Limerick, Ireland
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We were quite lucky to get a room facing towards the lake where we had the most amazing view of the beautiful sunset from the large windows. The large windows also meant that the room got a blast of sunlight during the day which warmed the room up nicely. Aside from that the room was clean and tidy and comfortable. There is a place to store luggage after check out but it is small so be careful to place your bag somewhere where more luggage can't be piled on top of it. The staff were fine. There is a lovely courtyard restaurant to the rear which is nice to sit out in especially as it catches the sun. The food is okay though the attached toilets are disgusting! Also, the service is pretty horrendous. We sat there on one occasion for at least 30 minutes attempting to get the attention of one of the waiters to get the bill and waited another age for the bill to be brought to us as the waiters were too busy chatting to each other to serve us (there was only one other table occupied at the time so there was no excuse for the delay). If it weren't for the attached restaurant I would have given a higher rating.

Room Tip: Look for a room at the back on one of the upper floors for a view of the lake and sunset.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends