“Southern comfort”
Review of Hotel Diplomat

Hotel Diplomat
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Cochabamba
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We recently stayed 3 nights at the Diplomat. The hotel is a charming hotel right on Cochabamba's Prado. We happened to have a room with two window views (180 degrees view) so we saw the hill with the Christ figure bathed in sunlight as well as a city vista - waking up to the morning sun was a joy! The breakfast was not (and we did not expect it to be) an opulent 'Western' buffet affair, but the bread offered (along with jams and various cheeses and meats) was delicious and very nice coffee they had, too! The staff was extremely pleasant.

Room Tip: We had room 508 which had a wonderful view in two directions (and was quiet)!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Diplomat

Reviewed January 7, 2012

I would strongly recommend you to stay at Diplomat Hotel during your visit to Cochabamba Bolivia.
I was there last December along with my extended family: 18 people of different ages and backgrounds and the general opinion was that we love this hotel and we would definetly go back for the following reasons:
-Confortable rooms with great city views: we were able to see the cristo de la concordia and city lights from our window.
-Delicious breakfast buffet included.
-Excellent customer service: everybody in the hotel was always helpful and willing to go the extra mile to accomodate our requests.
-Centrally located: close to banks, touristic attractions, restaurants, bars, pharmacies, shopping mall, secure taxi stops etc
- Excellent restaurant on their premises

I have read other review comparing this hotel to US motels, and I strongly disagree with that point of view...
In terms of noise, if you need absolute silence in order to sleep...then this is not your kind of hotel since it is located in a party area of the city and there is always something fun going on..

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Very bad the location in terms of noise during the night, the hotel looks old and the furniture is quite ugly and feels dirty, the services offered (room, breakfast, etc.) never for a four stars hotel as they claim or you have to pay.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Tiana_Sus
Reviewed December 17, 2010

This was my 2nd visit to Cochabamba before going back to the US.
The company tried to book me again on the 5 star hotel "gran hotel cochabamba" but i refused and decided to take tripadvisor's info and went to this hotel.
I was afraid it was going to get a noise bedroom since its located in the main party street, el prado, but no. The staff was friendly, the room was on floor 7 and was ok for me, to go rest, read, use internet.
Honnestly my expectations were not that high, but i got a good and friendly service, a good room at this hotel.
In Cochabamba i would suggest to try this hotel or hotel Regina, but not "gran hotel cochabamba"

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
2  Thank ClaudiaTatiana
Reviewed September 16, 2010

The Diplomat is supposedly "the" hotel in the city and it´s promising from the outside, but the decor is so... I don´t know, so 30 years ago. Not bad for Bolivian standards, but the hotel could use some work.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Very nice hotel to stay, it is very clean and the service is great..on occassion there is noise from the prado that can be heard...

Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2009

My wife and I were recently married in Cochabamba, Bolivia, the beautiful city where she grew up. We reserved the matrimonial suite at Hotel Diplomat for our wedding night about a week and a half in advance. When we went to make our reservation, the staff took us up to the 12th floor (top residence floor), where we were to spend our wedding night. It had a beautiful view of the city. However, when we arrived after our reception, we were told that our suite was not available. I was assuming that the reason it wasn't available was because I had reserved it. Nope. They had given it to someone else and tried to give us a room on the third floor with a view of the building across the street. How romantic! And they still wanted $87 for this! I was willing to spend $87 for a suite with a view. After all, in their brochure, the matrimonial suite was to have beautiful city views. Not so much on the third floor. We refused to stay at Hotel Diplomat and ended up spending our wedding night at my new inlaw's home. When we tried to get our money back, we spoke with someone new each time. Everyone promised something different, from a $25 check to full reimbursement in cash. Whenever we arrived to settle, no one could figure out who said what and to whom. They begged us not to take this situation up with our credit card company, but we were left with no other choice. We received a full refund from the credit card, and I hope they were able to get the money from the thieves and liars at Hotel Diplomat. Their multiple offers implied wrongdoing. This hotel is very poorly managed and makes promises it doesn't intend on keeping. Beware of making a reservation-you likely won't get your desired room. And it is way overpriced for what you get. Try Hotel Regina on the same block. My parents stayed there and had a great experience--great city views, breakfast, internet, friendly & helpful staff!! I wish we had!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple