“It depends on your references and expectations”
Review of Benin Marina Hotel

Benin Marina Hotel
Ranked #12 of 24 Hotels in Cotonou
Reviewed July 5, 2012

If you expect that this large hotel (ex-Sheraton) will offer services like similar hotels from Europe, North America, big cities of Latina America or any "really" resort, you will be dissapointed.
If you expect a physical large hotel with basic infrastructure, you will be glad.
Don't stay at the third floor, specially during rainny season (mai to july).
Generally the halls and even the rooms don't smell good, but it is not a big obstacle for a overnight.
The breakfast is fine but has the same menu all morning...the restaurant on the swimming pool is weak, not bad, but not big deal.
The "boîte" smells even worse, it is located at a subfloor...
The swimming pool is fine.
The hotel has a good (the only one...) localization in the city, close to airport, to port (if business), to Erevan store.
If you go to the beach in front of the hotel, be ready for some unpleasant aspects...if you are a "foreigner", don't go alone and don't carry stuffs...the water is fine but the sand is not clean...sometimes there are naked men "cleanning" themselves on the water, from "physical needs" they did on the sand. Not too many, but, there are...
If you want to go the beaches, take the Quidah (Casa del Papa hotel) direction (opposite to Nigeria direction).
If you are not used to drive in cities like that, take a driver, because the traffic is crazy.

Room Tip: I have said above.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank WMuniz

Reviewed June 5, 2012

This hotel looks very old by now, it needs renovation! Service is not the worst in Benin - but that does not mean good. The front desk staff has a few friendly individuals amongst them. The outside bar staff are extremely slow and seems to deliberately attempt to ignore you.

I had a room on first floor. Very poor condition. TV was not working, two lamps did not work, AC does not work well (never really gets close to 21 celsius). The cleaning seemed to be alright, but many old stains etc left the impression room was dirty.

Room Tip: Get ocean view
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Martinwt
Reviewed May 25, 2012

This hotel is conveniently located very near the airport and is ok, but not great. The rooms are nothing special, and a bit on the shabby side, but clean. The service, however, is pretty bad. You only get one small bottle of water in your room, regardless of the number of people, for the entire length of your stay, and you have to fight to get that, so save your water from the plane. They were pretty unresponsive to any requests for towels, water, etc.
We returned to stay a second time at the end of our trip and they put us next to the area of where they are carrying out construction. We asked to move and were told to wait in the room while they arranged it (supposedly cleaning another room). It was late and we were tired and dirty and only wanted to have a shower and sleep (the usual reasons for checking into a hotel). An hour and a half later we finally took our luggage back down to the lobby and got angry, at which point there was suddenly a room immediately available, with no water of course. It was over 2 hours before we finally got things sorted out, all of which could have been done immediately.
It isn't an awful hotel, it has a pool, which we didn't use, and various other amenities, and is more or less comfortable and clean, but the poor service was pretty annoying.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank lostinrome6
Reviewed February 7, 2012

We stayed here for 3 nights this past wkend at one of the bangalow rooms and what a nightmare!! The hotel rooms are old but decent. The thing that pissed me off more than anything else is the housekeeping... or lack of.
On one of the days, we had to call them to clean the room - don't mind that we did not hang the " SSSHHHHHHHH I am sleeping" tags. The 2nd time we called house keeping, we had been out by 10am on that day, and by the time we got back around 6.45pm, the room hadn't been cleaned!! I have never, ever, ever, had an experience like this before! I was so upset because we were tired and even though reception said the hse keeping guys would be with us in a few minutes, we were too tired to wait for them to clean up - properly; so we demanded another room that was available and clean . This was granted to us because I raised my voice, Ok, I shouted!- but I shouldn't have had to had the service been up there.
The pool area is great, room service is rude and the general service slow! There was nothing much to entertain kids apart from the pool area. The hotel is expensive for what they offer. We will definitely not be going back. No thank You!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Evezchild
Reviewed November 27, 2011

Extremely overpriced for what is offered. All the hotel needs maintenance. Staff service it is not particularly friendly. Good location for Job, really close to the airport, but completely isolated. Food is decent.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Marfon65
Reviewed November 15, 2011

I like to start with positive things, so here we go. I found the French staff very friendly, despite my lack of communication skills. They at least pretended to listen to my questions and, most of the time, gave me what I wanted. The food is good, both breakfast and dinner, and the service there was good as well.
I had to run a course for journalists in Benin and the hotel provided airconditioned training rooms, internet access (that took a while to get working) and good coffee and biscuits.
Airconditioning is crucial in Cotonou and the machines in the individual rooms need attention. So does all of the electricity points. I needed an electrician (twice), an adaptor, lots of fiddling and a chair to get my laptop working. However, the internet in the rooms are free ... and it works.
While the staff are friendly, they do not care about time or punctuallity. It's nothing to sit and wait for 20 minutes for a technician to show up.
The hotel is on the beach, with a nine-hole "golf" course. Security guards at the gate however tell you it is not safe to go to the beach, especially at dawn, dusk or at night. The pool at the hotel is however beautiful.
Benin Marina is centally located. Public transport is mostly 100cc motorcycles ... you are probably taking your life in your own hands when you get on, but I did not see a single accident in my 5 day stay in Cotonou.
The locals do say there are better and cheaper options for hotels in the city.

Room Tip: Make sure you face the sea and not the city
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed November 15, 2011

Rooms are pretty basic and old, but decent. Pool and common areas are very nicely decorated and the restaurants are of good quality. They have several services in the hotel itself, but if you want to get out of the place, the options are either overpriced hotel transportation, motorcycle taxi (very easy to get from the gate), or just waiting for a taxi to pass by .. which most probably won't happen. There's not much within a walking distance of the place. It was a business trip - personally I would not have paid the price for this place.

I am mid-20 girls and went on a walk on the beach during the morning. The beach seemed beautiful, but after seeing some pretty intimate local "sights" decided to spend the rest of the morning by the pool. So recommend to be cautious if you visit the beach.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business