Belize Boutique Resort & Spa
Cayo Espanto(San Pedro)
$1,895
  • Breakfast included
De Real Macaw(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
$59
  • Beachfront
Caye Caulker Plaza Hotel(Caye Caulker)(Great Value!)
$70
$68
Popeyes Beach Resort(Caye Caulker)
$52
Agoda.com
$210
  • Pool
Seaside Cabanas(Caye Caulker)
  • Breakfast included
Colinda Cabanas(Caye Caulker)
  • Beachfront
All reviewsrum punchhorseback ridingcave tubinghibiscus flowersmayan ruinsbug sprayday tripoff the beaten pathunique experienceour honeymoonhidden treasurealtun hacouples massagethrough customssan pedrogrounds are beautifulevery meal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 20, 2006

My wife and I stayed there for 3 days and had an absolutely wonderful time. The accomodations were great. The staff was extremely knowledgeable and very customer service oriented. The tours they organized were GREAT. Thanks Again

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank JayZan
Reviewed August 18, 2006

My wife and I stayed in Maruba for two days and we spent more money there than the rest of our 7 day vacation. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, which can be nice, but there isn't enough to do there to keep you entertained. There is nowhere else to eat except the hotel, the hotel takes advantage of that by charging you alot for anything (food, tours, souvenirs, drinks etc.), and the food was terrible. Nothing Belizean about it. The hotel is not well maintained, in fact, I've been to nicer Holiday Inn's. The service was excellent. The bartender/waiter, Ricky, was awesome. We rented our own car and did all the tours in the area with separate companies, in which we realized how much MAruba was over charging us. I'm not at all a penny pincher (although I'm sure I sound it), but I like to know that I am getting what I paid for, and this "spa" didn't deliver. The mood mud massage was definitely unique. I don't know if there is anywhere else to stay to see Lamanai and Altun Ha. Look at Orange Walk. We stayed in San Ignacio later, and that had alot more things to do ALOT nicer resorts, and 100% more Belizean.

• Stayed: July 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank jimthoma
Reviewed August 15, 2006

I had meant to write a review of this hotel soon after i stayed there, almost 3 years ago now, but never got around to it. I was recently reminded of my stay there - so wanted to warn people! the rooms were tiny, motel like. frightening silver spray panted walls. bugs everywhere. hideous linens. the massage was conducted by [----------]. food was not so good. all tolled the grounds were not well-kept and the place was falling apart, but was just unattractive to begin with. my husband and i checked in for two nights, having read a few good reviews in some travel guides. i didnt not sleep at all the first night, it was so creepy there. we left at our first opportunity. total waste of time (drve a long way to get there) and money. we are well travelled and i have no problem staying in places that arent 5 star. dont go.

• Stayed: November 2003, traveled as a couple
9  Thank travellynn
Reviewed June 1, 2006

My wife and I spent 12 days in Belize last week and we spent 4 nights at the Maruba Resort and Jungle Spa. We have stayed in hundreds of hotels around the world and Maruba is probably the most unique and hardest to describe. Nothing we read prior to our visit prepared us for Maruba.

Maruba is located on the Old Northern Highway near Maskall. To call Maskall a "village" would be an overstatement. It basically has a school, church and a payphone. It is not really a town so don't expect to buy or do anything in Maskall.

Maruba is a very eclectic, funky place. When you enter the main building (which contains the bar, restaurant and reception, you hear the thumping beat of trance/tribal/remix music which plays constantly (and quite loudly) at all times. The main building is an open air octagonal pavilion.

You are welcomed with a very strong rum punch and a waiver reminding you that you are in the jungle and you choose to be there at your own risk.

There are 2 swimming pools with spring fed "Maruba Mineral Water." One of the pools is painted dark green which gives the water a murky look, but we swam in it and it is actually quite clean.

The rooms are designed in an exotic African design with dark colors, gold, silver, ebony, animal prints, stone and some amazing tile work. All of the materials in the entire resort are unique. Every surface that you touch is foreign to the touch. The barstools are logs covered with animal skins, the placemats are palm leaves, the beverage glasses are coconut shells, "stained glass" windows are made from rum bottles, the door handles are wrought iron. All five senses are immersed in the Maruba experience.

The same thumping beat from the main building is playing on the CD player when you enter your room. There is no phone, television or computers (and no cell phone coverage). The rooms were very clean and there were no insects (unlike most of our other rooms in Belize). We stayed in the Jungle Suite which was a two room suite with a hot tub / mineral bath. The room was very nice and very comfortable. The bed was one of the most comfortable ever experienced in a hotel and they air conditioning was a welcome comfort that we used sparingly.

There are no restaurants nearby so we ate breakfast and dinner at Maruba. Breakfast was very nice (but a bit slow) with a unique juice each morning (mango, lime, guava). Dinners at Maruba were excellent. The main restaurant is open air so we had some flying insects visiting during dinner. If you don't like insects, this is not the place for you. Mosquitos were the small guys. Beetles, moths and other flying/crawling critters are everywhere and you need to be OK with that. We saw a gigantic moth next to our table that looked absolutely prehistoric. You need to accept this as all part of the experience.

We were at Maruba in May 2006 and things were very slow. We were one of 2 or 3 couples there each night. The owners and their family (including their daughter, Francesca, the designer of Maruba) dined in the main dining room each night. They were very friendly and accomodating. Jerry, the waiter/bartender/tour coordinator was exceptional. We looked forward to seeing him each day and one morning we gave his wife and son a ride into Orange Walk Town. Jerry has a handsome son and beautiful wife.

For activities, my wife and I are birders and we did some excellent birding right on the grounds of the hotel. We also took a day trip to Crooked Tree Sanctuary (Lenny from Bird's Eye View Lodge was our tour guide and he was excellent). We took a day trip down the New River to the Lamanai Mayan Ruins. Hilberto from Jungle River Tours was our guide and he was exceptional. My wife enjoyed the Mood Mud Massage at the Maruba Spa. We did not try any other spa treatments or the horseback riding.

The only thing we did not like about Maruba was leaving. Maruba is not for everyone. You need to really be comfortable letting go of your inhibitions and accepting a very unique environment. If you are capable of letting go, Maruba is one of the most unique places you will ever experience.

One unsettling thing is that Maruba keeps a live parrot in a cage in the restaurant. My wife desparately wanted to free the parrot from captivity. We inquired with the staff and learned that they had tried to free the parrot many times and it kept returning to the cage. I really could not understand this until I we left Maruba and I returned to work and felt very much like the parrot - returning to the cage.

• Stayed: May 2006
6  Thank tgc00000
Reviewed May 11, 2006

The good - amazing rustic spa area with unique treatments. Skip the pedicure and go for the exotic. We did a tour of the Laminai ruins where the guide was exceptional and the lunch was delicious and served with linens under a hut. The horseback riding was ok. The rooms were slightly primitive and very uniquely decorated - different is good though.

The bad - very pricey from the food, rooms, and spa treatments. This is why we reccommend trying the exotic rather than what you can get at the Day Spa in the States.

The ugly - the morning of our departure, we were welcomed with our bodies covered in ticks! We are unsure where these came from, but we were advised by the staff that the horses have ticks and they are also found in the brush during the horseback ride. We are definitely city people and just wanted a little adventure. We were never informed of this hazard prior to the ride. After dousing ourselves in deet and upon arival to the states, fumigating our luggage and it's contents, we were left with itchy bites that lasted a month. By the way no apologies were offered by the staff, but we noticed they were fumigating our room as we left.

This is definitely a resort geared towards couples. If you go, get a package to reduce costs, use lots of deet, and remember this is a third world country.

Stayed: February 2006