We flew into Belize City Airport on a non-stop from Miami. Great flight and easy to get through security. Very nice Duty Free shop in the airport and friendly people. As promised, we had a driver awaiting us as we cleared customs. Let the adventure begin. From the airport to Maruba, Belize is a 3rd world country. The one hour ride to the resort was over a road that must have been build in 1928 with a mini Mario Andretti driving the truck. We drove past men on bicycles with shotguns strapped to their back and houses made of old school busses. I'm not being a rude American, I'm just telling you what to expect. And then you arrive at the resort.
Maruba is a hand made jungle resort located in the rainforest in the middle of nowhere, Belize. They will treat you very nice and welcome you with a very good homemade Rum Punch. While your checking in, your bags will be placed in your suite and you'll be given a tour of the resort. There are two main pools along with a hot mineral pool. These all look "made by hand" with mosaic hand cut tiles. To me, beautiful. Waterfalls, lounge chairs, relaxation places, quiet and tranquil. Watch out for the Doctor Flies!. The resort is rustic and my wife and I loved it. We were in a junior suite that had an amazing tube / shower that fit us both and again was of mosaic tile and glass. One huge issue was the lack of a comfortable bed. This was more like sleeping on a large futon bed then on a Hilton hotel mattress. If you don't mind that, you'll love the rooms. No regular television, but movies are available to use from the main office.
The food... You have no choice here, you'll eat at the resort and like it. Breakfast was OK, lunch was not, Dinner sort of made up for lunch. Everything is made fresh and mostly from what is grown on the property. That alone is worth some props, so give them a little extra for that. If you get a chance to order the Yukon Snook Grilled Fish.. please do!
Tours and events. We took advantage for the Couple Mud Massage. YES!! I'd do that over and over again. Even though I had to wear a disposable men's thong, the best experience on a massage table ever.
We also took the Snorkeling trip. There is way to much they don't tell you and a bone of contention for me and my wife. The problem here was a lack of information, I'll help you with that. We left at 8:15 for a 15 minute ride in the Scooby Doo Van to the water taxi. Please note, the water taxi is a nice motor whale boat with twin Mercury Motors attached. It also boasts a good boat captain. However, it is an hour ride to the island you'll snorkel at AND there is no cover on the boat. When it rained (remember, we are in a rainforest), you will get soaked. The ride across the carribean sea actually hurt from the bumpy ride and rocky ride. The actual snorkeling time is less then 2 hours. You'll be given 3 hours to tour the island and grab lunch and a few trinkets. BRING MONEY ALONG WITH YOU. The island that you would see is about a mile long dirt road with a few nice lunch stops and nothing to occupy your time for 3 hours. On the ride back, we hit such large swells, everyone was soaked for the 30 minute ride until we got back across the open water. Once you get back to the water-taxi landing, you'll have 15 minutes to shop for local carved wood offerings. Save Money for THIS. If we had known about what they made here, we would have brought additional cash (They don't take Visa, Master Card or American Express)
Here is the bottom line. This is a very remote resort. What you find here is what you get, and that's pretty good. Take advantage of the tours, just know what they are. You will be treated very well from friendly people. The food is good and the cocktails are reasonable in price and quality. If you want some quality alone time with your spouse or close friend with quiet time to read a book and relax, you will not be disappointed in anyway. If your looking for action, look elsewhere. AND THAT'S OK!
On a very important point... They also have a school here for local kids with the motto "It's Cool to be Smart". PLEASE bring books and or school supplies to donate to this school. A very worth while and heart felt thing to do. It is very much appreciated.
I am so glad that we took advantage of this opportunity. Will I go back? No. Would I recommend this resort to someone looking for all this place has to offer? Absolutely. Just be sure to bring along a few snacks along with bug spray and suntan lotion.
Finally, Melanie loves what she does here and it shows. I did not meet one person who didn't feel it was their responsibility to take care of you. Isn't that what we all look for in a relaxing getaway?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prepare yourself for the ultimate experience in adventure & relaxation at Maruba Resort Jungle Spa, Belize. A short two-hour flight from Houston or Miami transports you to a place where you can fully immerse yourself in nature and truly relax. Maruba offers a great vacation escape in casual elegance.Voted the Best Boutique Spa by Spa Finder Readers’ Choice Award, and One of the Top 10 Spas in the Caribbean & Central Americas by Maco Destination Caribbean & Central America Magazine, the resort’s neo-primitive style with a touch of jungle urban flair makes it an eclectic and hip place to stay while indulging in everything a modern spa has to offer. Its restaurant boasts a nouveau jungle cuisine, best described as a fusion of “east of Paris meets the Caribbean”. Your room will be one-of-a-kind and features rich hues and textures, vaulted hardwood ceilings, mosaic tile floors, exotic fabric and beautiful carving made by local artisians. Signature bungalows offer 900 square feet of private space with an indoor lounge room, indulgent hot tubs, and incredible jungle views.Maruba is one of the first spas in Central America and offers a variety of exotic treatments which revitalize, detoxify, and reestablish the skin’s natural pH balance while leaving your skin feeling silky smooth. A must-try treatment is Maruba’s Mood Mud Massage – take your camera along for pictures! For those seeking adventure, several day tours available, such as exploring Maya Ruins, the rainforest and caves ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Maruba Resort Jungle Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maruba Resort Jungle Hotel Maskall
- Maruba Hotel Jungle
- Maruba Resort Jungle Spa Belize/Maskall