We spent New Year’s & consequently, also our honeymoon at Maruba Resort & it was a nice relaxing way to celebrate lots of new beginnings. Unlike the other reviewer who also enjoyed their honeymoon at this resort, we had no celebratory champagne waiting in our room but we had brought our own wine so it was no big deal. Tons of coconut trees all over & lush hibiscus stationed everywhere the head turns, from your room, bathroom, adorning all kinds of rails & plants outside. It’s even in all the drinks & food…we truly found this to be a jungle paradise. We took advantage of their Mood Mud Massage & let’s just say Kimberly rocks – we were given a great slathering of mud & a gentle rub & the pics were hysterical – be sure to bring your camera. We also indulged in the Sugar Scrub & wow! Maricela scrubbed me within about 1 inch of my life – it was so awesome! My skin has never felt so smooth & soft – I’m telling you, Napa Spas could take note here!
As far as tours, we did Lamanai & Altun Ha – you can climb the pyramids & the history was fun – medicinal plants are pointed out to us all along the way & their uses were extremely interesting. You’ll also want to be sure to take advantage of Cave Tubing & Zip Lining. Zip Lining = fun ride along the canopy; Cave Tubing = gentle floating in mostly shin-deep water. Poor Dellwyn (our tour guide) had to basically walk our inner tubes through the entirety of the “river” since water levels were so low & there was zero current but it was cool to be inside the cave & see the lights from the other tours also taking a tubing experience. Only “tour” that we’d recommend passing on is a ride to Boomba. We specifically asked to go there to get some souvenirs - $45 USD – as you’re in a remote location & at least 1 hr from the nearest town, gifts for loved ones are going to be impossible to find. There were people selling wood carvings in Boomba & while they came recommended, we found the quality & selection to be much, much better at Altun Ha
Rooms were large (we had a Junior Suite) & each had their own A/C unit & while it was not overly hot when we were there, it was nice to come into a nice cool room. Super quiet & we had people in rooms all around us, plus our room was the closest to the parking lot. Bathrooms were incredible & there was a ton of hot water (which we’re not used to when traveling to tropical destinations – so extra bonus!) Our room was mildewy the 1st night – there’s A LOT of humidity – but after reluctantly mentioning something – as we didn’t want to cause any trouble, they proactively lit incense each night as we were at dinner so there was a nice pleasant fragrance each night as we went back to our rooms. Beds were really comfy, pillows were nice & fluffy. And for the entire 6 nights we were there, I think we saw maybe 3 mosquitos in the room – awesome job at keeping bug control at a maximum! No other critters in our room & we were prepared for just about everything – frogs, tarantulas, snakes – anything’s possible when you’re in the “elements” so we counted ourselves extra lucky
Speaking of though, be sure to wear your repellant b/c they’re definitely out there & we each got a handful of bites even w/ protection
Keeping to the animal theme, their cute little Dachshund Maya was the sweetest adorable little lovebug that ever walked! She made sure to come around & give each person lovings so no one would feel left out & she especially appreciated belly rubs & ear scratches. She could have been her own “Adorable Spa” therapy!
Now, onto the food…….portions are HUGE. We never had the need for lunch since breakfast & dinners were so large & it got to the point during dinner that we couldn’t even do their entire 3-course menu. Thanks so much for taking care of our veggie needs & each night the chef would come up w/ a delight but also making sure we knew if we didn’t like the offering, they were willing to make us whatever we wanted (providing they had the ingredients). We enjoyed Eggplant Napoleon, Chana Masala, Black Bean Pesto Pasta & a few varieties of Stir-fried Veggies – all were winners! Desserts were likewise super-delish & we tried the Chocolate Mouse, the Key Lime Pie & the Coconut Tart (which is a secret menu item!) Again, everything was homemade, fresh & just fantastic. Drinks were large & generous & when people tell you to be wary of the Rum Punch, they mean it. That thing is lethal (in a good way) We had 1 every night we were there & 1 was all we could handle
Specifically for New Year’s Eve, they made the resort very festive – there were confetti, streamers, balloons. party hats & horns all over the dining area & they even provided a local band to help ring in the New Year – it was an extra special touch that made for an extra special holiday!
Only recommendation for improvement would be to have a set schedule for your tours. We found ourselves not knowing when certain tours were happening & when we’d ask, we were told something like “Maybe Tomorrow” or at the last minute they’d schedule something & we didn’t know if it would be offered again so felt pressure to take it right then. Of course we got to see & do everything we set out to accomplish but it just would have been nice to know a bit ahead of time what was happening when
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prepare yourself for the ultimate experience in adventure & relaxation at Maruba Resort Jungle Spa, Belize. A short two-hour flight from Houston or Miami transports you to a place where you can fully immerse yourself in nature and truly relax. Maruba offers a great vacation escape in casual elegance.Voted the Best Boutique Spa by Spa Finder Readers’ Choice Award, and One of the Top 10 Spas in the Caribbean & Central Americas by Maco Destination Caribbean & Central America Magazine, the resort’s neo-primitive style with a touch of jungle urban flair makes it an eclectic and hip place to stay while indulging in everything a modern spa has to offer. Its restaurant boasts a nouveau jungle cuisine, best described as a fusion of “east of Paris meets the Caribbean”. Your room will be one-of-a-kind and features rich hues and textures, vaulted hardwood ceilings, mosaic tile floors, exotic fabric and beautiful carving made by local artisians. Signature bungalows offer 900 square feet of private space with an indoor lounge room, indulgent hot tubs, and incredible jungle views.Maruba is one of the first spas in Central America and offers a variety of exotic treatments which revitalize, detoxify, and reestablish the skin’s natural pH balance while leaving your skin feeling silky smooth. A must-try treatment is Maruba’s Mood Mud Massage – take your camera along for pictures! For those seeking adventure, several day tours available, such as exploring Maya Ruins, the rainforest and caves ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Priceline, Hotwire, HotelTravel.com, Cheap Tickets and Odigeo so you can book your Maruba Resort Jungle Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maruba Resort Jungle Hotel Maskall
- Maruba Hotel Jungle
- Maruba Resort Jungle Spa Belize/Maskall