“Good food, nice atmosphere”
Review of Common Man

Common Man
Ranked #1 of 12 Restaurants in Ashland
Cuisines: American, Bar
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 7, 2012

My son (vegetarian) and I ate here this past weekend. We waited to about 10 minutes just to put our name in and perhaps less than 10 more to sit. Varied menu with 4-5 tables outside the entrance. Service was very good and our waitress was particularly patient and understanding as my son will not eat anything with corn or corn products in it. She even brought the chefs list of ingredients to the table for him to review! I had the veggie burger and the uncommon man salad, which was yummy. Veggie burgers are made there and was probably the best one that I have ever had.
The place was loaded with local seniors, which to me is always a sign of good food. Lots of comfort type foods and desserts were reasonable priced for homemade. Cheese spread and crackers available while you wait for your table. Tons of old Life magazines available for sale near the door to keep you occupied. Bar upstairs, also with some tables outside. The Common Man store is across the street and felt like a very "New Hampshire" experience with country store smells, fudge for sale and gifts from jewelry, hand creams, chimes and chocolate covered goodies.

There are newer reviews for Common Man

Reviewed October 1, 2012

Honestly I think this restaurant may be a little overrated for what it actually is. My boyfriend and I received a text coupon for buy one entree get one free at any CMan location. We took advantage of the offer and I got the prime rib while he got the filet mignon. When the meals arrived everything look perfect. Both of us have culinary degrees so we know food. His filet mignon was rare in the middle and he felt bad sending it back but the waiter had no problem doing it for us. My prime rib was not prime. It looked like a tender cut of meat but no matter which way I tried slicing it I could not get a piece off of the middle. I left a large portion of the meat on my plate and decided not to take it home. Did not complain about my prime rib so the restaurant did not know. Before the check came the manager on duty did come to apologize about the undercooked filet which was very nice of her. Best part of dining at the Common Man is the complimentary cheese, spreads, and crackers before the meal along with the chunks of White Chocolate at the end of the meal. A simple restaurant but fits well with the Lakes Region of NH.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This trip provided an opportunity to visit the original Common Man. I am getting used to their style of decor, menu choices, and service. CMan does not present itself as a chain restaurant because it is so layed back although there is a consistency to what they offer and how they do things that are reassuring to travelers like myself. Somehow I've had an opportunity to speak with a manager from each of the CMan's I've visited to reaffirm how wonderful their food and service has been. I believe if there is a problem they will correct it and if you have a comlaint you're obviously too stressed out. Chill. Love this place. I often mention CMan to my friends back home as one of those interesting places I've visited hoping they can go their someday.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

A cozy restaurant which offered good atmosphere mixed with delicious food. We enjoyed the local favorites - lobster dumplings as well as the lobster stew and baked seafood casserole.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This was recommended to us by our hotel and we were very happy with the choice - went back twice! The service and food were both very good! Would recommend it!