“Clearing the Air” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ashland
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland
Plymouth, Massachusetts, United States
“Clearing the Air”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This was my family's first trip to Jellystone. My wife and I have camped everywhere, state parks, private campgrounds, backwoods trips, and everything in-between since we were kids up until our son (now 3 1/2) was born. This was our first camping trip since he was born, and we decided to book Jellystone since they advertised it to be focused on kids. A stay at Saco, Acadia, or anything else would have been focused on adults, and we wanted his first experience to be about him.

Right after I booked and paid for Jellystone, I saw the negative posts on Trip Advisor, and I got really skeptical, and honestly, as we pulled off the exit in Ashland, I was really scared to see what we would find.

Well, day one, we loved it. And after day 8, we still loved it, and we are planning on making it a tradition for at least the next few years.

To clear the air on some of the negative posts -

First, we are not lower class people - we've vacationed in 5-star resorts in Vegas, Montreal, Orlando, Spain, and Aruba. We know the difference between a resort and a campground. So we set our standards on par with other campgrounds, not with vacations in general. I think the majority of negative posters were looking for a resort, and ended up at a campground.

Next, folks complain of "white trash" staying at the campground, and people were smoking and drinking, and there were thousands of screaming kids. Well, think about it. In Aruba, what do folks do during the day while on vacation? I'm certainly not white trash, but while at the Wyndham in Aruba, it's not uncommon to see droves of kids playing in the pool while the parents sit in the beach chairs sipping on cocktails. So yes, while on vacation at Jellystone, you could find me with a beer in hand most times past noon. It was, after all, my vacation. And I've never been to a campground anywhere where folks weren't drinking and smoking. As for screaming kids - it's a campground themed for kids! That's like complaining there are too many kids at Disney! As far as "white trash", yes, there were some families staying there who you may not invite to your next dinner party at home, but it's a campground. Most campgrounds I've stayed at - there have been groups of bikers, young couples just looking to party, trashy families, homeless folks who were having "extended" stays, etc. Here at Jellystone, there were only families with kids - no indigents, no bikers, no frat parties - just families. Yes, some were on the lower end of the income scale, but you will see this at ANY campground.

Second, as for the condition of the campground, it was not NEARLY as bad as most folks claim. The main pool was re-done, the hot tub was new, the kiddie pool was all re-painted, most of the fences and buildings were painted within the past few years. Sure, there were a couple of building that could use a fresh coat - but they were not in bad condition. It's an old campground, but they do a pretty good job updating and maintaining. With a place like this, you can't possibly have the resources to paint, fix, and update EVERYTHING every single year. But what they have worked and looked pretty good.

Next, the cabins and the sites. Our cabin was very clean and in very good shape. I didn't see ANY run-down cabins. The rental RV's all looked new, with small yards, grills, and patios. The pull-in RV sites looked decent. The only thing negative I could say is that some of the tent sites are close together, on hills, and in full sun. But if you are that descriminating about your accommodations, pony up and rent a cabin or RV.

Next, the claims that the camp is a "ripoff" and everything is overpriced - simply NOT true. The camp store was very well stocked, and the prices were probably 20% higher than if you went to the supermarket that was only 3 miles away. This is normal for a camp store. Showers are 25 cents for 9 minutes of very good hot water. A canoe or kayak is $12. A pedal cart is $6 for your ENTIRE stay. Firewood is $5 a bundle, or $3 across from the park. Most activities were free. Bingo costs a candy bar to play. The snack bar was surprisingly reasonable in their pricing, had a good variety, and the food was decent - for a snack bar. I spent the entire time waiting to get raked over the coals for something, based on posts here, but no one was looking to take me for a ride. A $2 ice cream, a $6 six-pack, $5 firewood, a $4 cheeseburger, a 25 cent shower, or a $12 canoe rental did not seem unreasonable to me.

The showers could use some attention, but otherwise, there are bathrooms everywhere, and for the most part, they were clean. I never found the too-small bathrooms with a hook hitting me in my head - which seems to be a common point here - but if they do exist, just go to a different bathroom!

The staff. There were a lot of staff members here. Staff in the checkin and camp store. Staff in the snack bar. Staff at teh pool. Staff at the river beach. Staff running activities. Maintenance staff. Cleaning staff. Management. It seemed there was always a staff member close by, and for the most part, they were all VERY friendly and VERY accommodating. Yes, the majority of the staff are teenagers. Most folks don't make a career out of being campground summer help, so teens are the ones who are conveniently available. The cleaning staff were very good and very friendly. But I did on occassion see some uppity camper ask them questions obviously not relevant to their job - and were not happy that they didn't get the right answer. But think about it - if you were at a hotel in Aruba, would you be asking the cleaning lady about a charge on your bill? And yes, teens being teens, they try to be helpful, but after a 12-hour day of work, sometimes they can get lazy, or drop their guard and have an attitude. Like the teen who got yelled at when she decided to ignore an unruly 5-year-old who kept asking her if Cindy wore underwear and wanted to know what color they were. But if you ask me, the teen's attitude was appropriate, and the parents should have focused on telling their brat that was not an appropriate question.

As for the activities, what more can you ask for? The bears raise the flag each morning, followed by free hay rides. You can play on the beach by the river (no, it's not tropical white sand...but neither is any river-side beach in New England), rent a canoe or kayak, play in the kiddie pool, play in the big pool, go to the snack bar and dance with the bears at lunch, there are parades and theme nights, free movies outdoors nightly, candy bar bingo, art and crafts, playdough workshops, an arcade, a basketball court, a volleyball court, DJ music nights, dance parties, pancake breakfasts, and all sorts of other fun stuff.

Bottom Line: If you have a family with small kids and know what it means to camp - this is a GREAT place. If camping is not your style, or you have unreasonable expectations on what a campground should offer - than this is NOT for you.

I will be back, and I'm looking forward to it. It's on par with other campgrounds, and if you have kids, than this is the ELITE campground.

So, if you think adults drinking beer on vacation is sinful, and kids running around while at camp is a negative thing, just stay home. And please don't come here if you are easily offended by fading paint at a campground in the woods.

Room Tip: Request a shaded lot, and stay in a cabin.
15 Thank Douglas O

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Winchester, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

Been going now for three years and love how each year there are changes My three kids love it so much they start talking about next year as we are pulling out of the park. Beside we all can enjoy ourselves the kids just go and go all day and night. The Staff is always driving around the park so if you need anything you know a staff member will be driving by in just a short time. I rented a new camper this year and they were GREAT Well Thank You Yogi for another perfect vacation See you next year Ranger Mike!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Shazzie323
Lowell, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I have been reading the reviews for this campground and had to speak up! We have been staying at this park for over 20 years and we still stay there!! I don't care where you go, you can find a problem. My 4 children basically grew up almost every summer vacation here. we started in a tent and now rent the new RV's they have, these are gorgeous!! We actually know the staff that has been there awhile on a first name basis. This, like many other resorts, hire international employees, I would bet that because there may be a slight language barrier, some people would take this as being rude, they are not!! We were there for a week in July and my kids still love it! My younger ones participate in they activities geared for there age and the older ones play BINGO or enjoy the pool with us. It is some great family time for us! I will say that while some of the bathrooms may be outdated, they are far from falling apart. We have been there when a water pipe broke, so we lost water for an hour, IT HAPPENS PEOPLE!!! That Campground has been there for well over 30 years things break, and of course its unpredictable (if its anything like most of our luck, things probably break at the worst possible time!). Just as an example the Manager for the last couple of years is a guy named Mike, when he sees us there he will come over say "Welcome Back" ask us how we have been and joke with us! I don't see that as rude at all! All I am trying to say is I have read the reviews here, I don't believe they are all fair, we have stayed there and will continue too!

Room Tip: If you are not a tenter, go for the brand new RV units!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank brian m
Milton, New Hampshire, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

I don't even know where to begin. It's like driving into a jungle. Luckily we where almost at the end of everyone. The bathrooms are disgusting. There's barely enough room to get in and close the door. Then they have a coat hook on the door, that my head hit because it was in the middle of the door. One sink hte knobs weren't even mounted to the sink so of corse it didn't work. Campers were ruid, fire and quite after 10pm thats joke. There was people up across from us past 130am. So much for rest and relaxation. They advertize a nice lazy river. Thats a joke. Picture is deceiving. We wanted to rent the bicyle things and paid to rent them but never got to ride them, so at least we got our money back. The showers where nasty. Events were held at the Pavilion and it smelt like sewer ever time we went up there. It's also near the pool and slides. Gross, who wants to smell that the whole time. Very very disorganized. Don't go there, the money they charge you, you think activities would be included but no that's another cost too. We left asap we could pack up and leave sunday morning. Never again!!!!! Don't waste your money on a joke. You've ruined the Yogi Bear name.

Room Tip: don't go
2 Thank Tammy M

Travelers are raving about these Ashland hotels

1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013

This campground is terrible!! Constant smell of sewage! Hilly sites, very open/not wooded sites. Fence by river sites is very rickety! The bathrooms are disgusting!! Many times, no TP or paper towels. The toilets move and you think you may fall through. The stalls couldn't be any smaller! The faucets spin around when you try to turn them on. The staff isn't friendly enough for a child oriented park. The staff also drive way too fast in golf carts and tractors. Kids are everywhere running, riding bikes and scooters to go that fast! The pool is not heated and its freezing cold!! Just stay some place else! I certainly will not be back after paying over $70 for a tent site! For that price I expect a heated pool, free showers and CLEAN updated bathrooms! Quiet time at 10 is also a joke!! Not enforced and children need sleep!

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank sobrienre01
Goffstown, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

We just returned from our yearly camping trip with 3 other families, which was fun, but defiantly won't return to Jellystone Park again. The website pictures paint this to be an amazing camp ground. I will admit it is very kid friendly and very friendly staff, however the owners need to invest in the property. It is extremely run down. I feel like its stuck in the 80's.
The comfort stations (bathrooms) are convenient to most sites, but did not have hot water to wash your face at bedtime or your children's for that fact. Every time I sat down, I hit my head on the door in the bathroom which had a large hook as well and they only had hand sanitizer in the bathrooms, not real soap to lather and wash your hands.
The showers were so far away to take a shower and bring your kid you had to plan for at least an hour of your time. Plus they charge, which if I am paying 61.00 dollars a night for a tent site, your really gonna charge me to shower?????
All the buildings are peeling and dirty. The kids pool area was nice, but just OK. The large main pool was so cold my kids would not even swim in it, plus falling apart. Even the hot tub which apparently was just put in, the liner was bubbling as well as the liner all bunched up.
All the fencing around the river sites is broken and many sections have actually fallen over. If I had one of those sites, there is nothing stopping my 3 year old from going into the river.
Many of the sites were great, and the trees were nice as were the size of the lots.

The fun zone, only 2 of them were working because the other 2 were out of commission (my youngest was very disappointed because she was too scared to go up the big ones.)

The playground could use more grass and updating. Mostly rocks and weeds.

I also didn't appreciate the fact that they allowed smoking everywhere including the pool. I can see it being ok to smoke at your site, but while I am playing bingo with my child and at the pool I should not have to inhale other peoples smoke. (Nor should be child with asthma need to be exposed to it) It should only be allowed on your site or specific stations.

And having to smell the daily cleaning of the pumping of the bathrooms was sooo gross.

I hate to sound so negative, but for the price we paid to be at this campground, we were very disappointed and we camp a lot. I know things cost money to upgrade, but if they are going to charge top prices, this needs to be a top campground.

The most favorite thing my kids did love were the pedal go karts and the prices were great for that. If you want to look into great campgrounds for this price I suggest you look into Moosehillock in Warren NH, and PowderHorn in OOB , Maine.

3 Thank btwinters
Matt S, Owner at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Hi,

I am very sorry about your experience at the park. We did have issues with two of the fun zone pieces during your stay. When pieces do go down we try and get them back up as soon as possible. I am sorry we were unable to do so while you were still visiting the park. I would like to discuss your stay and your review further. Please email me at info@abcamping.com

Thanks,

Matt
Claremont, New Hampshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2013

We rented a camper this year. They were advertised as having cooking and eating utensils and as having a large TV. I know...you should not want TV while you are camping....but 2 out of 4 days it rained and the 5 of us would have enjoyed the convenience of a TV...as advertised! Only some unclean silverware was in a baggie. That's it. Nothing else as advertised. The grandchildren did enjoy the pools even when it rained. The place has become quite rundown since we were there 3 years ago. Restrooms dark, dingy, and not very clean. Activities OK but nothing to rave about. Store out of things such as eggs and milk forcing us to drive into town to get incidental groceries. Staff was friendly and a very positive touch was that they pick up your garbage right at your site twice a day. Something that did surprise me was the "honey truck" coming around each day to pump out the campers. I was under the impression that it was no longer allowed in NH and that all campers must have a sewer hookup at their site. My brother managed a campground in NH when the new law went into effect and he had to run underground sewer lines to all campers. No exceptions. Unfortunately he has passed away or I would have questioned him about this. I must say that the sewer pumping smell was quite disgusting everyday. We will be looking elsewhere next year.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank arcodog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Comfort Inn
Pilgrim Inn and Cottages
Pilgrim Inn and Cottages
#3 of 10 in Plymouth
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton

Been to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland? Share your experiences!