“Better off Somewhere Else”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ashland
Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland
New Bedford, Massachusetts
“Better off Somewhere Else”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

New Hampshire has many great campgrounds, unfortunately Jelly Stone Park in Ashland is not one of them. We booked a rustic camping cabin similar to ones we have stayed in before at other campgrounds. The cabins were right on top of each other. It felt more like a city than a campground. The cabin itself was ok with the exception of a terrible smell and a refrigerator that kept tripping the circuit. The gentleman from maintenance was nice and helpful, but really didn't fix the problem. The shower house was the worst one I have been to. I noticed the housekeeping staff cleaning them, but I'm not sure what they cleaned. There was just filth everywhere; on the walls, the floor, the ceiling. They were so bad one day, I washed my hair at the cabin cold water faucet. The bathroom/shower doors are setup to stay open with no screen doors on them, so needless to say there were more things crawling in the shower with you then I would care to talk about. Just put some screen doors in people. The front office staff couldn't be bothered with concerns. Their "water slides" while a good attempt are mostly a joke. One water slide was closed because Velcro kept coming apart and scratching the riders. There was not enough staff to monitor the riders. My two children lost interest with the slides after about 10 minutes, so we went swimming in the cloudy pool. I say cloudy, because my daughter lost her sunglasses in 5 five feet of water and we never found them. There is something wrong with the water quality when you can't even see your own feet! On a few occasions scheduled activities that my kids went to at the pavilion were non existent! No staff were there and other people were also wondering what was going on. Bottom lines is, you have many choices with campgrounds in New Hampshire spend your money somewhere else.

4 Thank NewEnglander54

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
nh
Reviewed July 21, 2013

When we booked our reservation for a week we were told we would have a nice shady spot close to the amenities...not...we were a ten minute everything..the bathrooms were absolutely nasty with mildew all over the showers....waterslides were dangerous people were getting hurt on pieces of velcrow...activities were a joke especially the ice skating..cheap tarp with shaving cream....i have to say the only fun thing was candy bar bingo...the drinking around the park and pool area and smoking everywhere was inappropriate our children should not have to be subjected to that...this place is a never again happening thing for my family thats for sure....management commented on a lot of these reviews...its pretty rediculous how they all almost say the same thing....staff in the park was rude and not friendly at all...too bad to ruin yogi bears name by the nonsense that has takes place..

Room Tip: Do Not Ever Stay Here...Complete Dump!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1 Thank S S
Matt S, Manager at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Hi,

I am very sorry about your experience at our park. We would like to talk to you further about your experience and how we can improve the park in the future. Please email us at info@abcamping.com

thanks,

Matt

Travelers are raving about these Ashland hotels

Waltham, Massachusetts
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Cabins are close to each other and not a lot of privacy and trees and the road traffic was too close. The tent sites are out in the open. The waterslides are only open for a few hours. I felt like there was no Jellystone magic going on. We had a group and a bunch of cabins, but it was not conducive to having an open area with a few picnic tables.

It would be nice if the cabins had a little microwave. The pool is pretty small and no lifeguard? I could not tell staff from visitors because they were not particularly friendly. Things just seem kind of run down and over-priced. One of the kids got pinched by the toilet seat, ow.
There were a lot of little biting bugs in our cabin, like gnats. I know, it's camping, but they were biting at night.

Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 30, 2013

My family and I have been going for over 7 years to Yogi and we have a blast each time! Yes its a little crazy with kids running around but it is a great time for kids to venture out and make new friends. Last summer was the first year they had the water slides and it was great but after a few hours the slides got a little muddy. The pool was great but could use a little repairs. Last year though, they didn't have mini golf. I wish they had kept the mini golf course because it was a great thing to do as a family after dinner. There are activities every hour and many of them are fun and excited, the best is candy bar bingo! Also, on Sunday mornings they have a pancake breakfast which is quick and easy. I admit, some of the staff are a little bit lazy and rude but some employees make it a wonderful experience. We have stayed in a cabin every year and they are great and clean. Yes you are crowded but it's a great way to meet people! The river can be very fast moving and dangerous (wouldn't recommend to young children) and the beach feels more like dirt than sand. The peddle carts are fun but the track the kids ride on needs to be re-paved and the kids circle around campsites all day long on the carts so it lacks privacy. The ranger's store in nice and clean and has everything you need and the snack bar is worth your money. I would suggest this campground to people of all ages!

Room Tip: Get a deluxe cabin! Rooms are much cleaner and you have more space. Worth the extra money.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank 2018lb
Jellystone-NH, General Manager at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Good Day!

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feelings about our Camp-Resort! We are always happy to read that families such as yourself enjoy coming to our park! We put a lot of effort in to make sure as many guests as possible enjoy their time with us.

In the future if you should run into any problems with anybody on my staff, please let me know right away so I can take of any problems! We know we can't please everybody, but I try my hardest to do so!

We look forward to having you and your family stay with us again!

Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I used to go to Yogis every year when I was little, now that I am older I have started to go again with friends and family. The park has such wonderful memories from when I was younger, and continues to provide great memories now that I am older. The cabins are always clean, and ANYTHING you need from the Staff they help with. There are always activities throughout the day, even when it is raining, which I think is important (especially for the kids) and you can't go wrong with Candy Bar Bingo!! Also, the park has recently updated its water attractions, which are so cool, and there is always the option of taking a boat out on the river. You really can't go wrong here, I am so glad that I started coming back as an adult and I can't wait to bring MY kids here in the future!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Munkychik
Jellystone-NH, General Manager at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
Good Day!

Thank you for recent post on Trip Advisor! We do our best to provide the best camping experience for our guests. Although, some problems may come up we do our best to resolve them in the quickest way possible!

We are so glad you and your family enjoy your trips and we look forward to serving you again!

Taunton, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for two days in Tent site. Privacy was not the best.. Place was a little dated and needed paint.Lots of people walking around Drinking beer and Smoking. Bathrooms were so so.However the Pool area and Hot tub was good. Water slides and activies were a hit with my three boys. We swam in the river, it was clean but watch out for Horseflys they are awful in July. If I came back I would probably stay in a Cabin..The food at the Snack bar was good for the money. Candy bar Bingo was fun and the Free movies were a little dated but fun..It Rained but we painted Ceramics and went to Weirsbeach Fun spot which very close to the campground. Life is short make the best of it...

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank Tatej66
Jellystone-NH, General Manager at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Good Day!

Thank you for your recent post! I am happy to report that we at the campground are working very hard for the 2013 season. We have put in a new relaxing hot tub, freshened up the Water Playground for the children and started 1 of 2 remodel phases for the large pool.

We have been fixing up around the park, and will continue to do so!

We hope to find you and your family back at our campground again, and thank you for taking the time and letting us know your thoughts and experience!!

manchester
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Four families with 8 kids under four stayed for the weekend. We usually go camping to the cape cod but this time we decided to stay locally and on a river or lake. One of the families suggested yogi bear. Over all not a bad place. Main pool was closed most of the time. The kids pool worked fine with us. The beach on the river was way to small for the amount of ppl at the park. But there is nothing that the park can do about. The only negative and again it was our first time there was the site. We had 4 tiny sits next to each otheer witout any shade whatsoever. It was 90 deegres weekend. We asked to swith but they had nothing available. They had sites sitting empty across from us in the shade. We even said we would take two just to get off the sun. Food was way overpriced for a snack shack. We will be back probably ki ds had fun. Also investing into another shower house would be great. Lines were out of the door for the whole weekend...

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank dijana78
Jellystone-NH, General Manager at Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Good Day!

Thank you for submitting your feelings you experienced while staying at Yogi Bear’s Jellystone Park in Ashland NH. These websites provide us with important valuable comments from our campers.

It is not my intent to offer excuses to you or debate the issues you encountered while camping at the park, however let me address your concerns. You are correct the size of the beach is out of our control. As each season approaches we try to see what we can do to resolve issues with our beach, however the State has laws that protect the water, and makes it impossible to do any type of work down there. The best we can do is add sand which we do each season, but as the river rises it gets washed out again. Regarding the pool being shut down we follow strict safety and health code laws. When a guest has an accident of any kind we are forced to shut down the pool for proper sanitation and filtration processes. It is an inconvenience for our guests as well as us, and we do our best to reopen the pool as fast as we can. As you know Jellystone has a large variety of campsites and when we can we will move guests around to better fit their needs. Seeing the sites vacant for most of your stay was probably frustrating but please know we move people when we can. Most likely those sites were booked for families that were coming in that requested those sites the year prior (that is the most likely event). When making future reservations be sure to request to one of our reservationists that you and your group would like shade. We do our best to fulfill all of our guest requests.

We are currently working on a lot of repairs, remodel and additions for the 2013 season. We are working very hard to make sure that this is going to be a very exciting year for our guests!

Thank you again for sharing your camping experience with us. Your specific comments have been very helpful. We look forward to seeing you and your families back at the park!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tilton
Hampton Inn and Suites Tilton
Glynn House Inn
Glynn House Inn
#1 of 2 in Ashland

Been to Yogi Bear's Jellystone Park - Ashland? Share your experiences!