“Not many options”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Bab Ezzouar
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Not many options”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I prefer staying close to the airport. I thought Hilton was overpriced and bad, so i tried what i was told is better or at least similar to Hilton. It was worst. Furniture is cheap quality, check in and out is very slow, restaurants are of bad quality. There are what seems to be hookers in the lower lobby. The only thing that worked fine was WiFi

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rami O

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Second visit to Alger. (See review of Sharaton). The Mercure boasts a five star rating but as with many things here it is not quite there. I prepaid which gets a good rate but beware - no cancellation allowed.

Lobby and lower level bar spacious but comes as a shock to find lots of folk smoking away. Service here is French - waiters ignore subtle body language. Raise your arm and holler when you want attention.

My room was fine, however there is no individual A.C. control - you get the air someone else has decided for the floor and you only get a fan speed changer and an ineffective temperature raise/lower. Though the locals find it chilly in November it was too warm for me with the AC on heat! Opening the window invites mosquitoes to dine. Colleagues on another floor found a better temperature, but I found my own balance with window open and flyspray to hand.

Others have said the breakfast is expensive - mine was in the room rate. However although it was a decent enough buffet it was the same every day for two weeks or more. The coffee machine is fairly initmidating. Take a big cup and have chocolate and two cafe-courts for a long mocha that aint too sweet.

Maybe a chef to do an omelette? Standard in 5 star I have found. Beer is pricey but one of the essentials. I did not try the in house restaurants - one time I went to try Chinois it was closed.

There is a police guard with a machine gun, a long driveway, spiked roadblocks preventing drive-up to the entrance and a manned raise/lower bollard at the gate. This and the airport X-Ray machine and metal detector make it safe enough for business travellers I suppose and is standard in the 5 star hotels locally.

The outdoor pool is unheated and although closed for the season, on one warm day guests were sunbathing and I tried going for a swim. Brrr.

The wifi is not particularly fast but connecting is easy enough. Pick up a username and password every day - one per device - at the concierge. These guys were helpful throughout my visit and on one occasion chased after us with logins when we staggered in late and tired. I also had no hassle and a negotiated price for printing a 20 page doc from a USB stick. They just invite you round and you get on with it yourself. Like that.

The elevators - Schindler by the way - are fast but infuriatingly programmed. Hit the down button and an elevator will stop, you get in, and up it goes. Same the other way too. Many trips to floor 14 with other guests enroute to the lobby were a minor hassle after you realise you are not doing it wrong - it's just Algeria.

When I extended my stay I got a great rate at the desk and another discount for attempting to speak French. Tres bon! J'essai parler Francais.

Right across the street are half a dozen near identical restaurants serving kebabs, rotisserie, salad, hot fresh fries and the yummy and ubiquitous Harissa. We ate there a lot. Nearly free it would seem. Around the back is the Bab Ezzouar Mall. Food court there has many restaurants but it is a food court!! It has a supermarket (no beer) so you can stock your room fridge too. A six x 1.5 litre pack of water will tear your fingers off by the time you walk round to the hotel. Take a bag.

My choice among the top hotels in Alger would always be driven first by location and security. That is because driving is a nightmare. I will be back to the Mercure but I have not tried Hilton, Ibis (right next door) or Aurassi yet. After those there is the Sofitel. The Sheraton has a great campus location on the Med coast in Staoueli but nothing at all nearby so you are a prisoner there or hostage to pricey taxis.

I enjoyed my stay.

Room Tip: Big construction site to the west. More than a few months to go I'd say.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank lipeshends
Ede, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 26, 2012

I chose Mercure as a change (possible improvement) to Hilton and I was wwrong!
If the price would have been HALF, then it would not have been so bad:
0. The minibus at the airport was white and unmarked: I was not sure wether it was the right minibus: The driver said Ibis.
1. I booked online WITH breakfast: Upon arrival for € 220,- breakfast was not included.
2. No central light switch in the room (each lamp was individualy switched...)
3. The zapping on the remote control of the very small TV did not work: After 2x proimissed to replace, I was tired of complaining and did not bother anymore.
4. The fridge made so much noise, that I pulled the electricity plug out.
5. The toilet was dripping, so that I had to closed the tap (robinet...?)
6. The bed was like a wooden plank! (room 908)
7. When checking out after 1 night they did not even ask why!
8. There is no suggestion/complaint box, so I handed my complaint note over to a person sitting behind desk near the entrence.
9. I went to Hilton: Cheaper and better service!

One good thing about Mercure: The food was OK, but then again the food with the Hilton is also very good, and there I have a choice of 3 different restaurants!

Regards,

Herke Fabius
herke.fabius@emerson.com

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Bab Ezzouar hotels

St Peter Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I spent 5 nights here on business. The staff were exceptionally polite and welcoming - without exception they made a point of a smile and friendly 'bonjour' everytime I passed by.

Rooms are large and airy with air con, fridge including complimentary soft drinks replenished throughout the duration of stay, in room safe, and clean bathrooms. Also free WIFI is available via a token from the Information desk. If you want an even large room ask for a corner room!

I sampled the Algerian restaurant and the Asia restaurant situated on the first floor and both were of a very good standard, with reasonable prices charged for both food and wine.

The breakfast buffet had a good choice of hot and cold food - but at a fixed price of 1700 DZD (£13.35 @ Nov '12) I found it expensive for my daily cup of coffee and bowl of fruit!

The hotel has a lovely outdoor swimming pool, but sadly didn't have time to use it - and believe it is closed during winter months. There is also a Hamam on site.

I was working at some ofices close by so very convenient for me, but perhaps a bit far out of Algiers centre, although there is lots of construction surrounding the hotel with some big businesses moving in to the area.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are the biggest!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Bangor, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 23, 2012

Spent 8 nights here on business trip and found it to be a fairly typical North African hotel... Fairly smart on the surface - certainly the reception areas are impressive - however it's in need of some work in places. The staff seemed friendly enough but didn't really seem to get customer service, there was often a big queue at reception for example. The restaurants were ok - I found the Chinese to be the best and I thought breakfast was ok if a little limited on fruit choices. The main problem for me was that I'm a non smoker and it seemed that almost everyone else smoked which made the public areas and bar pretty much no-go zones. There didn't seem to be any attempt to create safe places for non smokers, even in the restaurants. The gym was ok with a reasonable range of machines and a few free weights. Non smoking room was clean with comfortable bed, good shower and fridge, TV etc. Too expensive for the standard but can't compare it other hotels in area as this was my first trip to Algiers.

Room Tip: Lots of building work going on adjacent to hotel currently - side facing IBIS hotel is quietest.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kuwait City, Kuwait
Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel has a good location, most of personnel are friendly, but the price of the rooms are very expensive and needs to be reviewed.
The break fast was expensive but the quality is very poor comparing to a four stars hotel.
I liked too much that the hotel allows the guests to receive their guests in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Newcastle
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I spent 6 nights at this hotel recently and, as others have already remarked, it looks nice when you walk in but when you scratch the surface there is a lot wrong. The key card for my door failed to open the door repeatedly which meant I had to get it revalidated by reception at least 5 times. The concierge wouldn't pick up the phone to give me the wifi code for the room and when I went down it was because he as chatting up some lady. Worst of all, a cleaner came into my room at 10.30 at night because reception has messed up and told her the room was empty. When I went down to reception to complain, I was laughed at. The hotel isn't awful (the room was nice and comfortable) but, based on the price and star rating, you would expect much better.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
#2 of 27 in Algiers
Hotel d'Hydra
Hotel d'Hydra
#15 of 27 in Algiers

Been to Mercure Alger Aeroport? Share your experiences!