“9-11 Bike Ride Reviews Lincoln Motel - 5 years later” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lincoln Motel

Lincoln Motel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Austin
Lincoln Motel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Austin
Chicago, Illinois
“9-11 Bike Ride Reviews Lincoln Motel - 5 years later”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2007

I concur with Frisco Road Runner. We stayed at the Lincoln Motel back in 2002 (the above pull-down menu only goes back to 2003) in the dead heat of summer while pedaling bicycles 4300 miles across the country (see: 911nyeduride.org) Back then, it was the only available place to stay (we booked months out). Very basic, hot, humid, and sticky. The air didn't work back then, but we had a place to stay. The owners were nice. Loved the $7 NY Strip steak across the street.

We'd pedaled our bicycles from west to east and stayed in Cold Springs the night before. Back then, the lodge with rooms was just a plan, so we tented. Well worth it for watching the Mustang horses that ventured down into the valley at 5am. Look for the Tree of Sneakers, the only tree on HWY 50, in the middle of nowhere.

We stopped at Middlegate before hitting Cold Springs for a 15-minute break. The rooms looked decent, but we wanted to make tracks. The owners (two couples) of Cold Springs were exceptionally nice and hospitable.

Love HWY 50. No wonder its dubbed "The Loneliest Road."

Stayed June 2003
2 Thank ChicagoCyclist

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Francisco
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2007

After driving in falling snow from the UT-NV line and being in 4WD much of the time, I hit Austin on a blustery night after Christmas when the steep, curvy summit road just east of town was cluttered with semis and I barely got through. There was no question of trying to reach Fallon, or even Cold Springs or Middlegate.

Austin has three motels. I'd stayed in one of them before but it didn't look very active--snow covered the parking lot and the one vehicle parked there. So I tried the Lincoln and it saved my butt!

Most of the parked cars were already at least partly covered with snow. I got one of the few rooms left and unloaded. When I went back out to have dinner at the International across the street, over an inch of snow had collected on my car. The Christmas lights were still up around town and it looked like a Rockwell or Currier and Ives scene from a greeting card.

In this case, a "cozy" rather than "spacious" room was a plus. It stayed warm all night. It was very basic, and I found leftover soap and wrappers in the shower (but no bedbugs, roaches, used linens, or used "supplies" of any other kind). The snow must have been almost nonstop; in the morning it was 6-7 inches high. But I was able to rest peacefully (Austin is a quiet place even when it isn't snowed in). In the morning the roads were being plowed and I was able to get back into California.

BTW, the next lodging to the west, Cold Springs Lodge (prefab motel building and a restaurant), about 50 miles farther, looks enticing. It's next to a horse ranch (and may actually be part of it) out on US 50 in the middle of nowhere. It might be a nice overnight stop to star-gaze and enjoy nature or take a break between big cities.

7 Thank Frisco_Roadrunner

Been to Lincoln Motel? Share your experiences!