“Best meal I ever ate”

Cuisines: American
Description: The bar has a separate telephone number: 775-964-1226
Description: The bar has a separate telephone number: 775-964-1226
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Got into Austin after a long drive. On strength of reviews I sat down at the counter of the International Cafe. It was a little off-beat so I ordered the steak with some trepidation. The mushroom soup-of-the-day was thick and made from scratch. The Hunters Steak was cooked perfectly, slathered with thick slices of bacon. There was a mountain of home-made fries, and a side of veggies that had that sweet taste of being freshly-picked. The blueberry pie was amazing - crumbly short pastry, sweet and tart, with vanilla bean ice cream. Service was polite and reserved, which I liked after a long day's traveling.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had read the reviews on TA but really wasn't set for what I saw. A "ghost town" with a slapdash building looking at me from across the street. The inside wasn't much different but it was spotless clean, fresh with no cooking smells, and greeted right away, even though she appeared to have had a very long and hard night. The menu was varied and complete. I ordered a cheeseburger with everything and it was one of the best that I've ever eaten. I couldn't finish it all because it was so big. My friend ordered the chili which scared me a bit since she had had some previous stomach problems, but not to worry, she said that it was very good and she had no problems later. I can only compare it to the Meers Restaurant, in the Wichita Mountains of Oklahoma, which is noted for their hamburgers, all over the world. Watch out Meers you may have some competition.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

On a two-week stretch of driving the Nevada by-ways, the Ely to Reno stretch of '50' wasn't to be missed. "The Loneliest Road in America" is far from that, but it sells tickets. With Eureka, Austin, and Middlegate interrupting before you finely hit the Fallon/Fernley area, compounded with the beautiful desert scenery, you should never fall asleep at the wheel. Stopped here for a late breakfast, the building being rundown as much as the rest of the town, but I was hungry. Inside also rundown, rustic, but clean. Sausage, perfect eggs over-easy, yummy hash browns, as many condiments on the table as I have fingers. Best breakfast of the drive and six days of that were spent in and around the faux-culinary capital of Vegas.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

I thought I was hungry when I showed up after a day on the cycle. But wow, what a huge burger they served! Hand formed, done right, lots of fries and a cold beer. Pies for dessert!
I had no waiting as I was the only customer at the time. They also do fantastic breakfasts. Recommended if you get hungry crossing Nevada on US 50!

2  Thank lowflyingowl
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Not sure whether Serbian Christmas is offered EVERY January seventh, but as of our visit there it was in a big sign (permanent looking, I have to say) out front.

Good basic burgers and eggs-bacon fare. Lots of odd ducks. Old bar in back. They've done away with the optometrist's eye chart that used to hang behind the pool table and Rock-O-La jukebox, though.

Pity.