“Great for fans of airplanes, the Air Force and for kids of all ages...”

Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum
Ranked #1 of 9 things to do in Ashland
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Strategic Air Command & Aerospace Museum is a museum focusing on aircraft and nuclear missiles of the U. S. Air Force. The objective of the Museum is to preserve and display historic aircraft, missiles, and space vehicles and provide STEM education sessions to the young generation. The Museum is a $29.5 million, 300,000-square-foot (28,000 m2) building that features a glass atrium, two aircraft display hangars, a traveling exhibit area, a children's interactive gallery, a 200-seat theater, a museum store, an aircraft restoration gallery, and a snack bar. The glass atrium is constructed of 525 glass panels that encase a Lockheed SR-71 Blackbird. The Museum hosts regular travel exhibitions and several special events throughout the year. The Museum's Education Department is committed to fueling the curiosity of children across the Midwest and to educating them in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM). Regular STEM sessions, workshops and camp programs are available at the Museum.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Reviewed May 3, 2014

It's great to get so close to Air Force planes. You get a good overview from the higher level, and then get to walk down onto the "tarmac" to see the planes from the ground.

Really impressive range of planes, especially from the mid 20th century. There is a B-52 cockpit that you can sit inside, and you can walk into one plane and under several off them... But it would have been great to walk into more of the planes, and be able to see the interior & cockpits of them.

Flight simulator was fun (5 different levels). The movies were interesting, with a variety of lengths & content.

Excellent shop, right near the entrance.

This museum is inconveniently located, about 25-30 miles from Omaha (expensive taxi fare of US$55-60). Basic café/restaurant.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

We took our family of 6 to the museum. This museum is probably only worth it if you are really into planes. My husband has an interest in planes and we have two boys, but they even quickly tired of the place. The admission is $12 per adult and $6 for children. My husband and I agreed that this place is probably worth about $5 admission for the adults and free for the kids. It is two hangers full of planes; not much else to make it interactive. There are a few videos, but I feel like this museum is totally missing the boat by not having some interactive exhibits concerning science, etc. The only interactive space for kids had foam blocks (not sure what that has to do with air and space) but fun for my toddler until a very large field trip of school kids came into the space and started throwing them across the room. We also paid an extra $5 for my older kids to ride the simulators. They had to wait in a 30 minute line to ride and my husband said that the monitor in the simulator was too dark, so it was basically like being locked into a black box and rocked around. The restrooms were also very messy, probably due to the high number of field trip students. I felt like more staff monitoring restrooms and areas would be helpful if this many kids were at the museum. I also would have liked to know this before I paid admission. This museum could be so much more fun and interactive with better exhibit design. I didn't feel it was worth the admission price.

1  Thank CampCCC
Reviewed April 21, 2014 via mobile

Went wanting to see SR71, it was really special how it was displayed, and the rest of the museum was great as well. Great planes with good information. B52, U2, cruise missile and many other great displays!

Reviewed April 9, 2014 via mobile

We visited this museum on our trip to Omaha to visit our kids and granddaughter. My husband is a World War II buff. He thoroughly enjoyed all the planes and exhibits. I found it very interesting. I'm always amazed at the amount of money our government has spent in the name of peace time defense.

Reviewed March 29, 2014

This museum is fantastic. Lots and lots of airplanes, lots of space, very updated, very fun for the kids and adults. Lots of big planes, not just little ones as I've seen in other mueums.
This musuem has something for every age, even a huge blow-up slide for the toddlers. This museum is a great way to spend a few hours with your kids. We had lots of fun and came home with fun pictures.

1  Thank DeeThunder