“Really BAD and REALLY Good.”
Review of River Edge Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Alberton
River Edge Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Alberton
Reviewed August 18, 2013

It's hard for me to review this property because our experiences were very inconsistant. I apologize for the length of this review but I have a lot to say.
I do often like and choose family owned properties over chain properties. I like the intimacy, the quirky details, the fun, love and homey decor that some families put into their lodging so that their customers have a good experience. My only stipulation is that it has to be CLEAN. The motel part of the River's Edge Resort had such promise but somewhere along the way it got away from them. Whoever manages the motel is letting down the rest of the property and keeping it from being a desired destination motel instead of an unpleasant, one time experience for most.

I called months in advance to reserve a particular room. I asked first thing if parking was available for our car and 12 ft motorcycle trailer. I was told that the lot was huge and it wouldn't be a problem at all. When I called to confirm my reservation I was told the room I had reserved wasn't mine which kinda ticked me off since I had reserved so long before but Ok. I had been put in the "outhouse" themed room instead. Really? Who calls a guest room that? It was a sign that I should have picked up on. I picked another room. The Americana room.

We arrived and parked in the very large restaurant parking lot that is just a few steps away from the narrow motel parking and we are told upon checking in that we can't park there because the dinner crowd parking was more important and we have to park way out on the street until after the dinner crowd leaves at 10 PM or disconnect the trailer and park by the motel.We were not happy about this and the manager began to display an attitude. We tried to park and disconnect.The parking strips were too narrow by the motel and we also realized that when the rest of the motels spaces were full there would be cars in the way and we wouldn't be able to hook it up again in the morning until they left. We had a 400 + miles to do and had to leave early so this just wasn't acceptable. Which means my husband has to get out of bed at 10 PM in order to park it closer where we can keep an eye on it. Also by the way Mr. Manager.... WE were planning on being part of the dinner and bar crowd who had also dropped $75 for a room. Do we not rate in any fashion as guests who should be able to park reasonably close to our room?

We walked into the room. Very dated and low on amenities which as I said was kind of expected. The view was great. Nice big window overlooking the river. Back door access to a bench. A few stars and stripes decorations. Flat screen TV on the wall. A queen bed, bedside tables, a table with coffee pot and one lonely kitchen chair to sit on.This was all fine...... However the room was not at all clean or maintained. The first thing we noticed was dirty blinds on the river view window and when we lifted it we viewed a bunch of dead bugs on the window sill. My husband immediately checked the bed for bed bugs. To our relief there were none. We were tired and didn't want to look for another place to stay so we decided to just deal with it. However to our dismay on further inspection, I found a cigarette butt on the table, fishing line on the obviously unvaccumed floor, someone else's spent coffee grounds in the coffee pot and FILTHY blinds over the AC unit. My husband checked the tub and since there wasn't any shine at all to the interior he ran his hand over the bottom and it came away covered in sand.EEEUUUUWWW No shower for us. The only thing that was done to prepare for new guests was to change the sheets (I hope) and empty the one tiny trash can. This room had all the promise of a sweet experience but because of laziness on the part of manager and cleaning staff, it instead was a dump.

We decided to try to make the best of the situation. The grounds are very nice and it looks like the camping and RV area with views of the river were probably enjoyable. We walked down and sat on the riverside for awhile. Very peaceful and pretty.

We made reservations for dinner since it was a Saturday night and hoped that it wouldn't reflect our motel experience. By then we had pretty low expectations for our meal but things actually started looking up! The restaurant, bar and casino are in a very nice building. Clean, bright, fun Montana decor. (Animals, fish, wildlife, patriotic and huckleberry theme going on) We were seated at a river view table (the best in the house). The wait staff was friendly and very competent. Wait time was minimal, drink orders arrived right away. We ordered the flat iron steak special. It was huge and cooked to perfection! This was hands down the best meal we had on our entire 9 day trip! Kudos to the River's Edge kitchen! Don't ever let your cook get away. We finished with a trip to their cool wooden horse shoe shaped bar and had a few drinks including a huckleberry martini while we heard some live music.
We returned to our room, tipsy enough to try to ignore it. At 10 we moved the car and trailer to the once again, empty restaurant lot which actually never really filled up that evening. We arose very early the next morning and it appeared that all the rooms had been filled and the diagonal parking spaces filled. But there was a long parking space in front of our room and the room next door which would have fit our car and trailer perfectly even still hooked up. Hmmmmmmm.......

I am reviewing the whole property here but my ratings are for the motel only. The restaurant deserves much better.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Harleytravelerx2

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I happened upon the River's Edge during a cross-country camping trip in July. After driving all day, I was delighted to find the clean, well-maintained tent sites along the banks of the Clark Fork River. Other campers were friendly and the River View staff were welcoming and helpful. Another guest pointed out a drama unfolding over the river, A bald eagle swooped low over a mom-duck and three ducklings several times, then decided to "give them a pass" and moved on. Beautiful show with a happy ending. Dinner in the restaurant was very good and I liked it so much a signed up for an extra day at the campsite. Highly recommend this beautiful place.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2013 via mobile

The River Edge campground is a great place to camp. It is very peaceful and relaxing. The staff is welcoming. The restaurant has great food! The location is beautiful. We had a great time. Definitely will stay again!

Reviewed August 10, 2013

My dad and I came from Seattle and was totally worth it. The location is perfect, rooms and quaint, clean and comfortable. The bar and restaurant was amazing. Awesome atmosphere. The hotel owner Travis is great and the bar owners Ray and Shawn are some of the most down to earth and neatest people I have met in a while. Everyone there, staff and regulars, made us feel like old friends. The food was spectacular and the drinks were delicious. Not to mention old school tabletop shuffleboard!!! We are definitely coming back. Make the trip, stay next door in motel or campground you won't regret it!!!

1  Thank Magicman8782
Reviewed August 8, 2013 via mobile

The room was simple, but had all that you need. It was clean and quiet while right along the highway. The motel door opens out to the river and the view is spectacular. The perfect place to pull off from a long drive and feel that you'd left the interstate corridor behind.

2  Thank annelfr
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Have stayed here 3 times now and absolutely love this place. Have stayed all over MT and this place is still my favorite motel. Staff is beyond courteous and accommodating. When I'm heading back home I will drive the extra miles west of Missoula to stay here. The rooms are very cozy and clean, you have an amazing view of the river right outside your door and window. The bar and restaurant have some amazing food and service also, highly recommend dining here. If your looking for a value and a gorgeous setting than you cant go wrong staying here! Thanks again and see you in the near future!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HBR30x47
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We've been visiting the River's Edge Resort a couple of times a summer for about six years now. The location is very handy if you are rafting the Alberton Gorge. The place is always clean and the staff are friendly and helpful. Ray always does a great job on July 4th with a big BBQ, live music, and a fireworks display. Very kid friendly. A couple of years ago while enjoying our morning coffee we enjoyed watching the bears across the river eating huckleberrys. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank 2L19889
Also consider these accommodations in or near Alberton
StoneCreek Lodge Missoula
Days Inn Missoula Airport
#22 of 40 in Missoula
Best Western Plus Grant Creek Inn
Hilton Garden Inn Missoula

Been to River Edge Resort? Share your experiences!