“I loved this place! It felt like home away from home!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ava
Bucks and Spurs Guest Ranch
Ranked #2 of 2 Specialty Lodging in Ava
Starkville, Mississippi
“I loved this place! It felt like home away from home!”
Reviewed April 1, 2014

In case you don't want to read all the details: Best spring break ever! I went alone at 18, and they were more than awesome. So much fun, lots of time in saddle, great food, great place to sleep. Lots of new, fun experiences. Lots of sweet dogs, cats, horses, and people, with relaxed, laid back attitudes.

I absolutely loved my stay at Bucks and Spurs. I don't know what that rude, bad reviewer was smoking, but they could not be more wrong. Sonny, C, Kim, and Ronnie were so accommodating. Everyone who worked there was so nice, and willing to help without being pushy. I stayed in one of the cabins, and it was super clean and neat, and even has a great little area with coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and popcorn. There are all the things you need to have some snacks in your room, and a refrigerator and microwave too.

To pick my place, I looked all over the country, hoping to find somewhere near me that had cattle and lots of riding. I got EXACTLY what I wanted. cc c was NOT looking for a place with cattle and riding, they wanted a luxury vacation. The price, compared to similar places was the best out of everywhere else.

The food. Oh my gosh the food. I'm an extremely picky person, I don't like to eat a lot of stuff. Specifically, bacon. Sonny was great about making sure that I ate though, and all of her food was great. I decided to try everything, and everything was great. She always has a variety of drinks, usually lemonade, tea, and water. I'm sure if you asked for something, you'd get it. We got fresh eggs for breakfast (can you say yum? Thanks Kim!), and sandwiches for lunch (always delicious), and something awesome for dinner. Sonny even makes her own bread, protein full and delicious.

The horses! So so so fun! I got to ride 4 horses, and they were all awesome. C, Sonny, Ronnie, and Jessie took great care of everyone, and instructed when needed. The arrowhead hunting is super fun too! :D And the cows were fun to work with. Lots of awesome trails and new horseback experiences. I rode two Missouri Fox Trotters (Flash - super sweet, slow dude, Mercedes - the name really says it all), one Tennessee Walker/Arabian (Micah - interesting, FUN ride), and a quarter horse (Shadowdancer - if I could take her home I would).

Literally the best thing I could have done with my spring break. No regrets at all.

PS Make sure you check out Ava!! Ask them for stuff to do in town, I love the whole area.

Room Tip: Literally everywhere is awesome, I stayed in a cabin, and had plenty of room. Another guest said the...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
2 Thank JazSassafras

Couples
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed March 16, 2014

C and Sonny (the owners) are very accommodating and will do whatever it takes to make guests happy! :) I am very surprised to see a bad review on here!! Obviously that person was expecting city-like accommodations. It's a secluded RANCH! What were you expecting? LOL. Sonny is an excellent cook and always had plenty of food for everyone. Cabins look brand-new and clean and beds were cozy. And excellent scenery to look at out of the windows!!! Tons of beautiful, well-trained horses! I can't believe how friendly they are!! I spent most of my time there petting the horses. C and Sonny are such warm and friendly people. I will definitely be going there again!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Clair M
Ocala, Florida
Reviewed February 8, 2014

not truthful about one of my questions when I reserved a week. very unhappy, not accommodating, food was awful, very very dirty! not happy with the horse either, and not happy with the facility. I would not recommend them. very overpriced, felt really ripped off.

Room Tip: stay away, facility not clean
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank cc c
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed January 17, 2014

I was at C and Sonny's place for 2 months. The ranch is in the ozark mountains, a wonferful area. The people there are really nice and friendly!!

They mostly have Missouri Fox Trotter and they are very good for working cattle and show horses. The cabin are clean and comfortable. The home made meals are delicious!!
THE BEST THING was the natural horsemanship!!!
They are expert in horsemanship and I learned a lot about that !!! You can in summer swimming in the river with the horses!!

You will love this place immediately and won't go back home !!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank Victoria D
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed July 1, 2013 via mobile

My daughter and I love riding and our stay at Cecil ("C") and Sonny's ranch let us use horses as they were intended to be used - moving cattle. It was a great experience. C and Sonny are terrific people. The lodging was clean and comfortable. The home cooked meals were delicious. But the best part was the riding - as much or as little as you wanted. They mostly have Missouri Fox Trotters which ride well and are good cattle horses. If you get the chance, and can handle it, take the horses swimming - unforgettable.

• Stayed June 2013
5 Thank Jefferson7476

Been to Bucks and Spurs Guest Ranch? Share your experiences!