“We highly recommend The HS Clay House in Augusta, MO”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Augusta
H. S. Clay House B & B and Guest Cottaage
Ranked #6 of 9 Augusta B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 28, 2011

First class service and attention to detail! We rented the entire house and guest house for an intimate wedding with family. Leigh & Alan were wonderful hosts and went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. Alan is a talented chef. You can tell they love what they do! Book a room for a romantic get-a-way, or a personal retreat — you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Lynn420
There are newer reviews for H. S. Clay House B & B and Guest Cottaage

Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed at the Cottage in August to celebrate our anniversary. The cottage was cozy but roomy. It had multiple sitting areas and a wonderful bedroom with exposed brick, old wood beams, and high windows that let in lovely morning sunshine. The cottage gave us a true private get-a-way but then we had all the amenities of the main house. We enjoyed the pool and hot tub, spacious deck, and multiple water features. The house was filled with wonderful antiques and conversation pieces but the food was the best thing about the main house. The breakfast was so beautifully presented that I had to take pictures and the eating was even better. The crepes melted in your mouth, the pecan cinnamon rolls were warm and gooey and the peppered, maple glazed bacon was the best I have ever eaten. As if breakfast wasn’t enough, every evening there were appetizers – shrimp, mushrooms, cheeses, dips, and biscotti. Alan was an incredible cook and Leigh was a suburb hostess. She would get the guest talking about a topic and once we were all engaged in learning about each other, she would quietly slip away and leave the guests comfortably talking for hours. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would highly recommend the H.S. Clay House.

Room Tip: Cottage is wonderful for privacy
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mwoulfe
Reviewed August 5, 2011

Very good value in a B&B. The afternoon welcome appetizers and punch were a wonderful touch after having spent the day touring the wineries. Breakfast was amazing. We loved spending time just looking at all the antiques on display.
I should have read a little closer that the bathroom is shared for lower priced rooms. This wasn't a problem for us. The room we stayed in had a crib and children's theme. I should have chosen a different room for our getaway from the kids!
Overall a great experience.

1  Thank cb6
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I and my partner have stayed at the H S Clay many times and this one was even more amazing then the rest. The home has had its spring updates and the works that the owners have done has made it even more butifule then it was before. The room was amazing and Lee and Alen as always are great hosts (Food spectacular) recomend it for any couple even if you are Gay never felt more welcome.

1  Thank greyfoxstl
Reviewed July 22, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed a romantic getaway at the guest cottage in June. We could not have asked for things to be any more perfect. By far, the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in. Leigh and Alan are fabulous hosts and make you feel at home. Not to mention Alan is a top rated chef in my book. The food was fabulous!! If you're trying to decide between H.S. Clay House and somewhere else - don't. You wont be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Doris044
Reviewed July 11, 2011

I've thought awhile about what to write for this review, and I think whether you love this place depends on your personal likes and dislikes about room and lawn decoration. We stayed in the separate guest cottage, and I thought it had many good features, including the outside covered porch and the privacy it affords by being across the street from the main house. The breakfast was very good. I don't like Eggs Benedict, but my husband said it was wonderful. The food items other than the eggs were plenty to make a good breakfast, and the hosts would have fixed me something else, had I asked. I was uncomfortable with the amount of antiques in the house, and I stress that's my personal opinion, since many seem to like it. The main house parlor and dining rooms seem crammed, every surface taken up with candles, antique games, dishes mounted on the walls, decorations hanging from the ceiling and Christmas lights to highlight both yard and interior. The yard has an abundance of plantings, as numerous as the decorations inside. For me the effect was cluttered. It's clear that some people like it, but I felt a bit claustrophobic. I didn't find the guest cottage dirty, so I didn't have the experience as in the negative review. The hosts were quite friendly and chatty and welcoming. Snacks are served at 6 pm, and they included fresh shrimp and unusual cheese and sausage and crackers and a wine punch. In my experience, you usually don't get before dinner appetizers at b and bs, so that was a plus. So, in conclusion, my stay was a mixed bag, some good and some not.

Room Tip: I would prefer the guest cottage to the main house.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank AnneDeA41
Reviewed July 11, 2011

We stayed at H.S. Clay house for one night and just want to say that we are going to go back for two nights. As soon as we drove up we knew we were totally excited to be their! I loved the warm and homey atmosphere with all of the antiques. It was very clean. I loved that they had a hot tub and pool with a huge deck and different seating areas...I did not find another b&b that had this. The best thing was that we were able to come and go as we pleased, their was no curfew and never felt like we were disturbing anyone. They allowed us to access the house as if it were our own...their hospitality was amazing! The food was the other highlight, Allan is a trained European chef and the breakfast as absolutely amazing. The bedrooms were so romantic with a canopy on each one. We could not have asked for better innkeepers....thank you Allan and Leigh! Alexis

1  Thank lexy7401
Also consider these accommodations in or near Augusta
Super 8 Washington
The Wildwood Hotel
The Wildwood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Wildwood
Comfort Inn Six Flags St. Louis

Been to H. S. Clay House B & B and Guest Cottaage? Share your experiences!