“A quaint, peaceful, and historic site is a must visit.”

Arrow Rock State Historic Site
More attraction details
Owner description: Stroll through the history of a once-bustling river town that’s now the serene village of Arrow Rock. You’ll walk streets lined with the architecture of the historic “Boone’s Lick Country.” At Arrow Rock State Historic Site, you may wander into the historic Old Tavern, which dates back to 1834 and provides a dining experience in a period setting or see displays of old-time wares at the Huston Store. You can learn about it all through exhibits in the visitor center. The historic site is part of the larger Village of Arrow Rock, which features quaint stores and a bevy of antique shops.
UNIONVILLE
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A quaint, peaceful, and historic site is a must visit.”
Reviewed August 28, 2011

My husband and I enjoyed walking around this pleasant town. If you are near this area, I think you will enjoy your visit here.

Visited August 2011

Kansas City, Missouri
127 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 262 helpful votes
“A Hidden Gem, off the beaten path just a few steps back in time”
Reviewed July 27, 2011

My 8-year-old and I visited Arrow Rock early in June as a day trip. What a wonderful time we had! The State Park offers a Museum of area history (well-paired with Boone's Lick, about 30 miles away), trails down to the River, and a step back in time in a place that modern advances seem to have forgotten - to it's benefit!

Just a block away from the State Park is Arrow Rock itself, population less than 100. Main Street offers a few quaint shops and the oldest pub continuously operating this side of the Mississippi. My son and I stopped in the Soda Fountain to have the best, hand-churned ice cream we've ever had.

We can't wait to go back. After spending the day there, we hated to leave. The resounding sound of the locusts was almost magical. HIGHLY recommended!

Visited June 2011
Florissant, Missouri, USA
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 158 helpful votes
“Great little historic town for a weekend getaway”
Reviewed June 16, 2010

I didn't even know of this town until I researched some side trips to take on our way from St. Louis to Kansas City. I wouldn't spend several days there, but it's definitely worth the quick hop up from the interstate. The town has several historic buildings, including the oldest operating restaurant west of the Mississippi and the home of Missouri artist George Caleb Bingham. There are a few B&Bs and a nice visitor center. The "Friends of Arrow Rock" give a great tour on a large golf cart. The state-run site itself, other than the visitor center, also has a campground and a small lake.