“rip off--stay away”

Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Austin
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“rip off--stay away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2011

In addition to the filthy room conditions, don't think that if you make reservations online you will be able to change them, no. Last October I reserved one room for Christmas eve online. A week later a friend offered me her guestroom for that date so I called the "hotel" to cancel. There was no English speaking staff to assist me, but I knew enough Spanish to understand I was (rather rudely) being directed to the 800 number. I was informed by that staff that no reservations made online can be cancelled, even 60 days in advance!. It was only then that I noticed the reviews and decided that I didn't want to spend $68 being bitten by bugs and inhaling mold all night on Christmas Eve--a manger would have been better. My credit card was charged anyway.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
chi
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

Checked into hotel. Son was exausted because of long drive and fell asleep on top of bedspread. Son woke up because "bugs crawling on him". Pulled back sheets to discover bugs crawling all over pillows and mattress. Checked out ASAP and went to the Holiday Inn...

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
1 Thank jme23

Travelers are raving about these Austin hotels

NEW YORK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2009

Stayed here while traveling cross country. The place looks OK when you pull up, but that is where it ends. The "lobby" is half the size of any of the sleeping rooms in the hotel. It also serves as the "breakfast room." It has two small tables and four chairs. The breakfast was just coffee and donuts. The room we had was a King bed on the second floor - which was a walk up, as there is no elevator. Trouble with my King bed was that it featured a Queen sized headboard. This place is a very "low-end" Super 8. Usually I have not had any (real) bad experiences with Super 8 until now. Oh, I also could NOT connect (and I know all the necessary PC tricks to do it) to the free "wi-Fi" system at the hotel. It is OK if you are just looking to "flop" for a night, but there are better hotels in Austin.

The only thing "good" about my stay at this Super 8 was that they had a small local chamber of commerce booklet for Austin, Minnesota on the room's end table. Browsing through it , I quickly learned that Austin, Minnesota was the Headquarters for Hormel Foods Corp. - the makers of SPAM and many other food products, and that Austin (which was basically a nice little city) was also home the THE SPAM MUSEUM. This place is Free to visit and is a MUST SEE if coming across Interstate 90. Trust me on this one, VISIT IT - you wont be sorry. I never knew that there were over 7 different varieties of SPAM , including "Hot & Spicy" of which the museum hostesses were passing out free sample. The museum also has a HUGE gift shop that has all sorts of SPAM stuff. The luck to "find" THE SPAM MUSEUM made all the suffering of my night at the Super 8 Austin bearable.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Wisconsin
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2009

My husband and I were returning from the Black Hills and needed a place to stay in central Minnesota. Since Super 8's are typically acceptable hotels we stopped at the Super 8 in Austin. However, this is by far the worst Super 8 we have ever stayed in. The hotel staff was clueless and the manager was rude. The price was exceedingly high ($75 with a senior discount) for the quality of the room and the room was an absolute horror show. I would not step on the carpet without my socks on and the recliner in our room was so gross I didn't want my husband to sit on it. The refrigerator in the room didn't work and the electrical outlet was being held to the wall by a metal strap. It was a scary place and not one I would recommend to anyone. Go to the next exit and stay at either the Americinn or the Days Inn - they must be better than this place. They can't be worse!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
chicago, illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2007

It was late and my Husband and I needed some sleep before continuing home from our vacation. This Super 8 was the only hotel option at the exit we got off. It was expensive for a Super 8 $79.00, but we were tired and couldn't drive anymore. We found out the next morning after driving further that the next exit had several other hotel options. I wish we knew that! The help was very friendly, and the lobby was standard nothing to be worried about but as soon as we started to our room I knew this wasn't going to be good. The hall was dark and the carpet old. It was a mess, you could tell it hadn't been vacuumed recently. Our room was horrible! I didn't want to touch anything. Everything was old and dirty. The bathroom looked as if it hadn't been cleaned in a long time. The top of the toilet had dust and something spilled that hadn't been wiped up, the sink had some hair in it and the walls had stains that ran down them. The tub had some repairs, it looked like it was leaking and owner took some caulk and wall patch, smeared it on the tub and surrounding walls and left it as is, never repainted the walls or made the patch look decent. The towels were so old they were starting to unravel, and one of the bath towels had stains all over it. The room was the same, stains on the walls, dusty lamp shades, lamps that didn't work or the shade didn't fit, the linens on the bed pillows were yellow, the sheets also had some set-in stains. The bed cover had cigarette burns. I was afraid to go to sleep in the bed thinking there might be bed bugs or something. Given it was late and we'd only be there 6-8 hours we stayed and made the best of it. I put my own shirts over the pillows and slept with no blanket. All this for $79.00 what a bargain! I would never stay there again. Needless to say I was up very early and left right away.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
1 Thank zabler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Austin
Days Inn Austin
Holiday Inn Austin Conference Center
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#3 of 10 in Albert Lea

Been to Super 8 Austin MN? Share your experiences!