“Great unplanned visit and it's FREE!”

Spam Museum and Visitor Center
Ranked #1 of 18 things to do in Austin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The newly built, 14,000 square foot museum features 9 SPAMtastic galleries with interactive games and photo opportunities. Admission is free to all visitors.
Reviewed July 6, 2013

While traveling west on I-90, I randomly checked Trip Advisor for things to do since we had been on the road for a couple of hours and the family was ready to stretch our legs. I found that the Spam Museum was only 10 miles away and seemed to get great reviews. I couldn't agree more on all the positive comments.

We pulled in and initially appeared that we had to pay to park but it was just a security guard telling us where to enter the museum. As soon as we walked in, we were immediately greeted and handed a self guided tour booklet. The short movie was interesting as was the rest of the museum. We only stayed an hour since we still had several miles to drive for the rest of the day, but could've stayed longer if time permitted.

Of course we spent $22 in the gift shop on a t-shirt, pens, pencils, temporary tattoos, and of course a $3 can of Spam.

I would highly recommend stopping and seeing this place. I enjoyed it and believe it or not have never eaten Spam in my life (but I think that has now changed)!

4  Thank Runforfunn

Reviewed July 3, 2013

I have driven through Austin, MN many times on road trips and have always thought of stopping at the Spam Museum. I had the misconception that I would see the processing of it, and didn't want to be grossed out. This time I stopped. I am glad I did! It does not show any of the processing and isn't even located in the area of their plant. The museum is free. It is self guided. I suggest 30 minutes to 1 hour to take a look. It has lots of Spam history, a short movie with samples after. There are hands on activities for the kids, and adults. You can work a Spam assembly line and be timed, or play Spam trivia against family members in a game show format. At the end is a nice little gift shop to buy tshirts, cans of spam and other spam souvenirs.

1  Thank abc123sch00lteacher
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had a blast, but I can see how this place is not for everyone. The folks at Hormel have a lot of pride int heir products but also a healthy sense of humor about Spam in particular. Go to the museum with that same attitude of fun and you'll have great time enjoying all the spamusements and free spamples, Be sure to get your picture taken with Spammy. It wasn't too busy on a Monday morning and the food truck was closed.

Reviewed July 2, 2013

have to say that I first heard about this museum from a reviewer on trip advisor who suggested it as a mid-way stopping point for the infamous Chicago to Black hills road trip. Traveling from Madison, Wi, I did not stop or overnight on my way out to the Badlands and Black Hills, but it served as a walking break and diversion on the way back home.
What a HOOT this place is. Fun games, facts, trivia and movies for the whole family. Large museum, spacious exhibits, nice bathrooms. Had some great laughs and a free sample of,,,SPAM!! Even my teenager had to laugh! Best of all, its FREE, compliments of the Hormel company.
Go ahead, take a break inside the hallowed walls of this shrine to salty pork goodness!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

The museum was quite large with a great wall built from spam cans, a film about history of spam, exhibits about Hormel brands and information about the history of the company. There is a spam food truck outside the building selling spam burgers and sandwiches. We spent almost two hours there. It was quite crowded when we were there on a Sunday at noon.